Nov 09, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Need some help on Power guys.

Guys
I'm still very new to Electrics and have a question please. I'm building a Glider with a 54" span and my guess with all radio parts, batt., motor, even covering wiill come in at about 16ozs. or 448 grams and I have a link here for the power system I bought for it, if you would I'd like to ask if it's enough power, not enough or am I on track for a plane that will fly.

16 Ozs. all up with evethying and here's the link for the Combo power system, ESC and servos plus I've added 4 ozs. for a 2 cell 900 mah Lipo pack.

Please let me know if I'm off too far here or will it work.

Also, I'm looking for a FM channel 50 Hi-Tech transmitter if anyone has a deal on one to help out with my project.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html

Thanks.....
Last edited by Ben Morrow; Nov 09, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2011, 01:06 AM
Reduce the drama...
Hi Ben
That's a decent package for cheap.
I would use a 3S battery with an 8x4 prop like in the video.
Nov 10, 2011, 01:34 AM
Reduce the drama...
A transmitter for FM 50?
Must mean you have a Hitec FM receiver.
Save it for another model.

How about a 2.4ghz transmitter and 6 channel receiver?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAEXR&P=TS
Nov 10, 2011, 07:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
A transmitter for FM 50?
Must mean you have a Hitec FM receiver.
Save it for another model.

How about a 2.4ghz transmitter and 6 channel receiver?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAEXR&P=TS
Thanks Rick, It's funds that I don't have any 2.4 stuff yet, just plain flat out funds! The FM stuff still works just fine just way out-dated. You see I droped out of RC back in 2004 and think that's about the time the 2.4 stuff was moving in (I Think) but I just have so much of the stuff and there's no one else in my area that flies much I thought I'd just use it until things get better, and I'm hoping that's real soon.

I have lots of the mini servos and RX's for the FM stuff and as long as there are no other fliers in the area I thought why not just use this stuff for a while. I can always just use another transmitter I have that has a diff. channel, and had a 50 myself until I gave it to a little kid just getting started. So now I have all these CH 50 RX's but no TX. UG! But the kid I helped out is a good pilot now so it was worth it all.

I have some new Corona RS41011 and RS61011 of FM also and it says on both "Long Range" I'm just not sure what they mean by "Long"?? My old 555's and 535's I used way back were alled "Full Range" it seems. Do you think I'm safe flying the Corona's up high looking for thermals or might I loose signal?

I'm sure you'll laugh at this but the glider I'm using is the old toy foam hand throw glider that are made for kids to throw and have a little fun but I have some carbon tubes for the wings and fuse to help keep it from busting up on every slight hard landing, so I will hot wire out slots for the carbon and the little 4 1/2' span plane only weighs 6 ozs. so I'm giving myself plenty of room for mods to make her stronger.

On the last post I made I said 4 ozs. on a 2 cell 900 which was a typo but I have some (4) 1300mah 3 cell packs I'll use like you mentioned and they do weigh 4 ozs.

But anyway, that's the project I'm working on at the time, (Just so ckeap not to it seems and I'm pretty sure the toy glider will do just fine after some beefing up. And oh yea, I also have a Tower-Pro outrunner 2408-21T-3A if you think it would be any better on this project and they all have the aluminum cooling fin stick mounts.

Well, Try not laugh TOOOOO hard but that's what I'm working on. And I'll buy me a 2.4 system when the ole pocket will allow, I do want one for sure but for now as long as it's safe I'll have to fly FM or not fly at all and MAN do I miss flying!!

Thanks for your reply, help and info. I thought that vidieo was for the Blue Lipo and not the plane!!
Nov 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
Reduce the drama...
Not laughing, I use this and that to make new stuff.
I like to use Dollar Tree Store foamy gliders.

A used 4 channel tx and rx on Ebay for cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-Focus-...item25692fdb6a
A used 3 channel tx and rx (I like these for gliders)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/hitec-transm...item43aade0fdd
Nov 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
Reduce the drama...
Here's a brand new one and you can choose channel 50
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCXM7**&P=FR
Nov 10, 2011, 07:25 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Depending on how much emphasis you want to put on brand/quality, you can buy a dirt-cheap 2.4GHz system that'll really work just fine for most purposes. Six channels, $32, and receivers are only $9... not a bad deal at all.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Nov 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16
Depending on how much emphasis you want to put on brand/quality, you can buy a dirt-cheap 2.4GHz system that'll really work just fine for most purposes. Six channels, $32, and receivers are only $9... not a bad deal at all.
i've had one not too bad

good range for me
Nov 11, 2011, 09:04 AM
Thread OP

Fly Sky Radio System???

Guys, I bought one of the Fly Sky radios and still have it in the box along with 2 RX's. It has the 10 memory also and for the price I thought I'd go ahead and buy an extra RX. Everything, Transmitter and RX's are 2.4 and also 3 Channel which 3 channel is really all I need, the only problem is I bought this system for a couple of boats I have buy still haven't installed it or tried it out. I was just reading some of the reviews and everyone seemed very excided about the system.

Beings I only need 3 channels and controlling the glider with this radio wouldn't be a problem at all, do you think I could use it. It's the only 2.4 system I have and ontrol of the glider with the wheel set-up would be very easy, I'll use it if you guys think it's safe......... I place a link below for the system I bought and both RX's I bought a 3 channel also.

Link to my radio that's never been install beause I broke the little CD disc that comes with it. So it's just sitting there on the shelf. Man I sure hope this will work!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Thanks,
Ben
Nov 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
I have the v1 version of this one, works flawlessly. The v2 is supposed to be every bit as good as v1. Mine came with a master and slave RX, apparently they have done away with the slave.

I think they did the diversity antenna but then figured out they could do away with it.
Nov 12, 2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Morrow
Guys, I bought one of the Fly Sky radios and still have it in the box along with 2 RX's. It has the 10 memory also and for the price I thought I'd go ahead and buy an extra RX. Everything, Transmitter and RX's are 2.4 and also 3 Channel which 3 channel is really all I need, the only problem is I bought this system for a couple of boats I have buy still haven't installed it or tried it out. I was just reading some of the reviews and everyone seemed very excided about the system.

Beings I only need 3 channels and controlling the glider with this radio wouldn't be a problem at all, do you think I could use it. It's the only 2.4 system I have and ontrol of the glider with the wheel set-up would be very easy, I'll use it if you guys think it's safe......... I place a link below for the system I bought and both RX's I bought a 3 channel also.

Link to my radio that's never been install beause I broke the little CD disc that comes with it. So it's just sitting there on the shelf. Man I sure hope this will work!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Thanks,
Ben
without doubt the best value radio you can buy, but have a look at installing one of these.....http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24gh...-p-405206.html
this will open up the radio to many more reciever options, and this is the way most people go, i know i have and i wont go back.
RCT
Nov 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Thread OP

But will the one I have work?

Guys, From what I'm reading here the Fly Sky is a great radio for the BUCK without dought! But will the radio I bought for my boat and the 2 extra RX's work for my glider?

I have this feeling it will not, the reason being, even though I have 3 channels why would you need them on a boat and how or what controls that third channel??? I could use the sterring wheel for rudder or Ailarons and the trigger for speed control, but even though it's three channels what or how would I control the elevator.

I'm having a feeling here the Transmitter I have just won't work. Am I right here and in so can I buy just a Airplane Transmitter and "Bind" the two RX's I have to it??? Maybe someone out on the forum might have just the Airplane TX ir they eill bind with the RX's I have. What's the word on using my Boat TX on my glider, will it work at all??

Thanks Fellers;
Ben

Quick Reply