New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Turqui
Question

Monokote vs ultracote? Advices please

Im about to cover my top flite cssna 182 gold edition kit,and i have no experience in covering; im more the flying type guy.
I covered one of these kit some time ago and looked ugly,im about to do another one but im planing to make it look nice.
Advices? Techniques? Monokote?ultracote?
I will appreciate any advices.
Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Like all opinions this is a personal one:

Ultracote is my preferred film covering material, purely for ease of use. It requires less heat to shrink and does compound curves well. It's very forgiving when your technique is a bit dodgy. Generally lighter than Monokote, and also comes in a "light" version.

Monokote can give a superb finish too, but requires more heat and stretching to go on well. An adjustable temperature heat gun is a must to prevent wrinkling on the Monokote. A bit more challenging to get just right than Ultracote/Oracover.

Theres a "covering tutorial for beginners" in the builders workshop forum- excellent, excellent reading. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711624

G'luck

Odd
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by Terry Bolin
Monokote is thicker and a little tougher but is harder to get a good covering job compaired to ultracote....