This thread is privately moderated by CRCJA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 08, 2011, 10:46 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP
Build Log

McDonnell Douglas C-17

Known as the Globlemaster III, the C-17 is built in Long Beach CA. Where I helped assemble the first 5 aircraft before getting the boot from McDonnell Douglas (Reduction in Force), you can call it what you want, to me it will always be a McDonnell Douglas C-17. (yeah, I know it was bought out by Boeing). I am even going to do a color scheme sold by Boeing. This will be a SLOW build as I have two more planes to finish ahead of this. The idea is to TRY to have it for AEF 2012. (Note) came back to add pictures of the Finished Product. I took Best EDF at the Tucson Jet Rally 2014 with this Jet

Original Contractor McDonnell Douglas Corp.
Current Contractor The Boeing Company
Wingspan 169 feet, 10 inches (51.75m)
Winglet Span 9 feet, 4 inches (2.80m)
Length 174 feet (53.04m)
Height at Tail 55 feet (16.76m)
Stabilizer Span 65 feet (19.81m)
Cruise Speed 540 mph (869km/h; Mach 0.73)
Max Speed 570 mph (917km/h; Mach 0.77)
Range 4,700 nm (8,704km) without cargo; Unlimited with inflight refueling
Service Ceiling 45,000 feet (13,716m)
Operating Weight 276,000 pounds (125,192kg)
Fuel Capacity 181,054 pounds (28,000 gallons)
Max Payload 169,000 pounds (76,657kg)
Last edited by CRCJA; Aug 31, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2011, 11:46 AM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
Looking great! Keep me posted on this one. I am going to order a 3rd and do a retract mod. Wish me luck lol
Nov 30, 2011, 12:52 PM
BlackLivesMatter.
nice
Dec 04, 2011, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc135boomer
Looking great! Keep me posted on this one. I am going to order a 3rd and do a retract mod. Wish me luck lol
any luck with retracts?
Dec 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
BlackLivesMatter.
any news ??
Dec 23, 2011, 12:45 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Not much Building

OK, so this weekend I got the Build bug Badly, on the C-17, I only added the tail cone, finished sanding the fuselage and put in the servo leads for the Rudder, Elevators and Tail light.

I will share time between the other projects

In order of priority is L-39 that needs Gloss Clear coat (brush on)
MIG-15 Build
F-86 Build
Mirage Build
and sorry to say then the C-17, but as you can see, I always bite off more than I can chew.

Ralph
Dec 26, 2011, 04:54 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Tail

So the C-17 Now has a Red Light on the tail, the two elevators servos (HS65MG), the rudder cut out at two inches wide and about nine inches tall. A HS65MG for rudder servo already in the vertical stab. The Horizontal stab has been glued to the Vertical stab already so the I could hide and run the wire for the tail light through it.

Ralph
Dec 27, 2011, 04:11 PM
BlackLivesMatter.
yippeeeee !!!
Jan 03, 2012, 09:59 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Problems with Tail Lights

Well wouldn't you know it, I stripped one cable off of one light, so I got a second set, Installed it and all and the light burned out. What luck, but hey this is foam, when there is a will, there's a way. I just don't know anyone named Will right now

Took off the second light, made a big hole, soldered in a different light and added all the servo extensions to reach the bottom of the tail. Covered up the wiring and as soon as the spackle dries on the cables, I will hinge the rudder and glue the vertical to the plane.

Ralph
Jan 15, 2012, 03:22 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Nothing Exiting

Filled in all the panel lines on the plane, sanded the filler and then glassed Most of the fuselage, all of it minus the nose. I got the rudder hinges drilled out, then glassed the rudder and vertical stab minus the horizontal stab. I might save the flaps for later and try to fly it with a stock wing for the first couple of flights.

Ralph
Jan 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Coming along

The Fuselage is now Glassed, sanded and most of the inperfections filled, I added some Light Weight Spackle to the Vertical and to the landing gear doors since once painted, it would look like there was a small hole there. I have not touched the wings yet, at this point I don't think it will be ready to fly for AEF

Ralph
Last edited by CRCJA; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Jan 24, 2012, 01:30 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Decals Arrived.

The decals came in and it just gave me motivation to work on the plane a little, I filled the weave on the bottom of the plane and glassed the rest of the tail. I painted the rest of the parts with a light coat of the primmer so I could now start thinking about the final coat of paint. Next will be some lights in the fuselage, the two landing lights by the wheel fairing and the red light under the belly. Then add a light coat of primmer, at that point and the fuselage is ready for paint. I can begin the take the original paint off the wings, add the lights and flaps and she is ready.

Ralph
Feb 04, 2012, 03:48 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Paint

She is starting to get some paint on the fuselage. I also bought a model toy Tank along with an Estes brand rocket parachute to see if I can drop that once in a while.

Ralph
Feb 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Thread OP

Shammoo

Kind looks like a killer whale now, it's time for lights and decals on the body now that it was all of the color it's going to get. Now I can start on on the wings and get this done.

Ralph
Feb 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
BlackLivesMatter.
no tank dropping! this is a comm cargoliner !!!

Quick Reply