Apr 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
Hey Ed...no im charging them individually and my charger is supposed to balance as it charges....

Could you maybe post your battery settings? id like to maybe try setting it to the lowest it can go without damaging the cells but giving me as much time in the air too...

Edit: I have one of the batteries on the charger now and all the cells show equal voltage...is it possible that one cells could still be bad?
A bad pack/cell can charge and balance making it appear okay. The proof is what it does under load. I've lost several e-powered planes because of packs that charged, balance, and would hold power just long enough to take off, then dump and crash right after takeoff.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Thread OP
I would get another lipo that is the same as you are using. Then substitute to see if you have a bad one. I don't know any other way. Van do have another suggestion?
Apr 09, 2012, 10:36 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Ok....thanks Van and Ed for the help....i guess im just gonna have to find out through the process of elimination...

I know that my newest pack...the 4200 mah is good and it will fly on that just fine...One of my 2200 mah bats i tried to fly by itself the other night and it was charged too...i got a small hop and the low light came on....tonight tried both 2200 bats and well you know the rest....so maybe i just need to get some new batteries!!! haha...what a concept....guess they dont last forever!!!

Thank you for trouble shooting with me...ill post up if i ever figure out whats really going on.
Apr 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Thread OP
Unfortunately they die after a while. The good news is that the prices have come down significantly. Please let us know what you find.
Apr 09, 2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Unfortunately they die after a while. The good news is that the prices have come down significantly. Please let us know what you find.
ok will do....
Apr 09, 2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck
Surprisingly nice and clean footage. How is the camera mounted and is it a GoPro camera? I have this frame, but I just get too much vibration from the motors I put on it. I just might order the F330 ARF kit later on, this quad is small enough to fit in an aluminium case. I've always wanted something small but the last two sub-330mm quad builds have failed.
I put foam on silicon pad :

And gopro 2 with scratch same this picture (with HD1):

Apr 10, 2012, 01:00 AM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
Hey Ed...no im charging them individually and my charger is supposed to balance as it charges....

Could you maybe post your battery settings? id like to maybe try setting it to the lowest it can go without damaging the cells but giving me as much time in the air too...

Edit: I have one of the batteries on the charger now and all the cells show equal voltage...is it possible that one cells could still be bad?
until you get a watt meter, another way to test out your cells is to run the pack through a discharge cycle and watch the balancer readout...assuming you have a decent charger that allows a discharge cycle and shows each cell as its discharging.

The Hyperion's I have allow for up to a 10amp discharge so every once in a while, i'll perform the cycle and watch the cells to see if one is weak and dumps its voltage quicker than the others.

Also its very good practice to time your flights with a new pack, start out with a few minute flight, then charge and take note of the cell voltages, and then how many mAH's the pack took to reach full charge again, then go fly and add another minute or two to your flight...rinse repeat until you have a good idea of how long you can safely fly and still have 20% left in the pack.

This keeps the packs nice and healthy and doesn't discharge them too deeply...a sure way to kill off a pack before it's time
Apr 10, 2012, 01:04 AM
Go Hawks!
By the way...I had a "are you f'n kidding me" moment just a few minutes ago.

I was checking out my droidworx hexa for things I could do better with the build..you know..you build them up, fly them and then tear it down to do it a bit cleaner.

Well I've been flying this hexa now for about two weeks with the Naza controller and I've had a slight rear/right drift issue that I figured was just the wind or perhaps that my flight pack is not directly under center due to the cam gimbal...

so I am just checking out the frame and then I see it..plain as day when looking at it from the side, but not noticable when looking from the top down.

I must have used two slightly longer standoffs for the top mounting plate and its higher at the rear and right side than the front and left side. DOH!!!!

of course I've been having a slight drifting issue. The damn flight controller platform is tilted!!!
grrr..sometimes the simplest things!!

will "fix" it tomorrow after work.
Apr 10, 2012, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
until you get a watt meter, another way to test out your cells is to run the pack through a discharge cycle and watch the balancer readout...assuming you have a decent charger that allows a discharge cycle and shows each cell as its discharging.

The Hyperion's I have allow for up to a 10amp discharge so every once in a while, i'll perform the cycle and watch the cells to see if one is weak and dumps its voltage quicker than the others.

Also its very good practice to time your flights with a new pack, start out with a few minute flight, then charge and take note of the cell voltages, and then how many mAH's the pack took to reach full charge again, then go fly and add another minute or two to your flight...rinse repeat until you have a good idea of how long you can safely fly and still have 20% left in the pack.

This keeps the packs nice and healthy and doesn't discharge them too deeply...a sure way to kill off a pack before it's time
Thanks havoc...sounds like good advice. I'm not very well versed in the whole battery side of things...always learning.
Apr 10, 2012, 01:29 AM
Can I buy a naza VU by itself? Anyone have a link.
Apr 10, 2012, 01:48 AM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500
Can I buy a naza VU by itself? Anyone have a link.

spent 5.8 seconds doing a google search and found two us based dealers that have the VU by itself

http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/sto...JI_Innovations
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Apr 10, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Apr 10, 2012, 05:15 AM
Hi Guys, I didnt understand how to set up failsafe with Futaba 7C.... ??
Apr 10, 2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
spent 5.8 seconds doing a google search and found two us based dealers that have the VU by itself

http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/sto...JI_Innovations
Believe it or not I did google it.Could not find it by it's self. Thanks for the link
Apr 10, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hey Paulo,
go on youtube under the name of mauromassari (me) and a josueferreirace (friend) you will see some cearences videos with quads, hexa with FPV.

Cheers
Apr 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821
Ya, maybe I'll get an OSD to help out. I never thought about using the OSD for descent rate too, that's pretty cool.
Hey Jasper, if you are willing to spend a little more money on FPV I would suggest a MFD (My Fly Dream) Antenna Tracker, it has a OSD build in and I am adding that E-Osd for battery voltage, then you will have speed, altitude, arrow point where home is and a good antenna tracker.....

Quick Reply