Jun 30, 2016, 01:34 PM
ramovan Thanks that will help. I am not sure if i can hook up a gimbal using F1 and F2 for M7 M8.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2016, 02:09 PM
RC Dude Hobbies
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmlog09
ramovan Thanks that will help. I am not sure if i can hook up a gimbal using F1 and F2 for M7 M8.

That's true. If you are doing an 8-motor configuration then you cannot use F1 and F2 for a servo-driven gimbal. To solve that problem you might want to just use a brushless gimbal instead as they have their own controller and do not need to be connected to the Naza at all. Brushless gimbals work totally independently from your flight controller (Naza). Brushless gimbals also work a whole lot better than the older servo gimbals and that's why almost no one uses them anymore.

Since you are doing an X8 you do have one more option if you really wanted to keep F1 and F2 free to use on a servo gimbal. You would set up your machine as a regular X quad and then use a servo Y-Harness to join the 2 ESCs on each arm together into a single connection. You would only use 4 of the motor outputs in that case but you may also have some drawbacks in stability or redundancy. Maybe someone else can give us more information if they've done it that way.

Your best option is a regular X8 setup using M1-M6 and F1 F2 for motors along with a brushless gimbal for your camera.
Jun 30, 2016, 02:39 PM
ramovan Thanks I will keep it at M1-F2 and I do have a brushless gimbal I can use.
Jun 30, 2016, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramovan

Since you are doing an X8 you do have one more option if you really wanted to keep F1 and F2 free to use on a servo gimbal. You would set up your machine as a regular X quad and then use a servo Y-Harness to join the 2 ESCs on each arm together into a single connection. You would only use 4 of the motor outputs in that case but you may also have some drawbacks in stability or redundancy. Maybe someone else can give us more information if they've done it that way.
If you set it up this way the top and bottom motors have to spin the same direction otherwise the yaw will not work.
Jun 30, 2016, 09:26 PM
RC Dude Hobbies
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy
If you set it up this way the top and bottom motors have to spin the same direction otherwise the yaw will not work.

I knew there was another disadvantage I was missing and that is certainly a big one! Last time I built an X8 the Naza didn't even exist so it figures I would miss that. I believe I used a Gaui 330X GU-344 gyro flight controller. We're talking the very early days of multirotors before anyone knew what they were and before everyone started calling them a drone.
Dec 06, 2016, 04:51 PM
Quick question regarding RTL(H). If you take off in manual or ATTI mode, does RTL still work as a failsafe?
Dec 06, 2016, 05:57 PM
KG7TTQ - Hauser, ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbs
Quick question regarding RTL(H). If you take off in manual or ATTI mode, does RTL still work as a failsafe?
As long as everything is set up correctly and you have a working GPS, RTL always works regardless of what flight mode you are in.
Dec 07, 2016, 09:29 PM
Gary
Hard to believe this thread is 5 years old. I still fly my custom Naza bird every now and then...
Dec 07, 2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready
Hard to believe this thread is 5 years old. I still fly my custom Naza bird every now and then...
Now we a Naza 3, the N3. Times do change. I was so young then.
Dec 07, 2016, 10:41 PM
Naza 3??? Got a link?
Dec 07, 2016, 10:42 PM
Found it.
Dec 08, 2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Thread OP
We already have a user thread. Check it out.
Dec 08, 2016, 07:54 PM
Yeah. That's what I found. Thanks.
Apr 02, 2018, 12:54 PM
I fired up my Naza 1 Y6 today for the first time since September 2015

I've just upgraded my Taranis from OpenTX 2.0 to 2.2, and need to re-do all the telemetry programming. It didn't go well - the Naza drove the roll servo on the camera gimbal to full travel and stayed there. The servo runs fine on a tester, so it's definitely an issue with the Naza. Powered it all off and back on, and still the same. The copter has been standing level on a worktop, covered by a dust sheet.

Need to get it onto the DJI Assistant I guess, and see if that gives any clues. Didn't try to fly the copter, but in other respects it seemed to be OK i.e. it eventually acquired some GPS sats.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Apr 03, 2018, 01:06 PM
This turned out to be an IMU problem - I got the message below in the Assistant. Ran it through advanced calibration and all was well. Strange that this could happen while just in storage though.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review

Quick Reply