Thread Tools
Feb 01, 2013, 11:24 PM
Registered User
ok here is a noob question. i am hooking up my new naza and have watched the videos and read all i can but one thing that i havent seen wasthe VU powerwires just goto the battery?
so do i just soldier them to the pdb?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2013, 03:37 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbob
ok here is a noob question. i am hooking up my new naza and have watched the videos and read all i can but one thing that i havent seen wasthe VU powerwires just goto the battery?
so do i just soldier them to the pdb?
Yes, anywhere on the PCB that has direct + and - connection.... e.g. battery input or ESC power connector....just remember to do it before insulating all the soldered 'blobs' .....I use thin epoxy resin for that.
Feb 02, 2013, 04:06 AM
Registered User
Borneoben's Avatar
Yep pretty much

Its that simple.
Feb 02, 2013, 09:20 AM
DJI Support
Tahoe Ed's Avatar
Just a quick note that there is an internal fuse in the bottom plate of the Flame Wheel. I did not know it existed until my motors would not arm. My friend RancherPete, pointed that out to me. It is there to protect the VU but it only works if you attach the VU or PMU to one of the esc pads. Otherwise you can fry the VU/PMU if you manage to reverse polarity as some have done here. This may be the problem for some folks that have power to the assistant but nothing to the motors. Fried fuse.
Latest blog entry: M200 FAQ's
Feb 02, 2013, 10:24 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
kallend's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Just a quick note that there is an internal fuse in the bottom plate of the Flame Wheel. I did not know it existed until my motors would not arm. My friend RancherPete, pointed that out to me. It is there to protect the VU but it only works if you attach the VU or PMU to one of the esc pads. Otherwise you can fry the VU/PMU if you manage to reverse polarity as some have done here. This may be the problem for some folks that have power to the assistant but nothing to the motors. Fried fuse.
Other than here, where is that documented? Is it in the + or - supply?
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Feb 02, 2013, 11:06 AM
DJI Support
Tahoe Ed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Other than here, where is that documented? Is it in the + or - supply?
It is on the + side. On the F450 frame it is between the + battery pad and the + esc pad to the left, looking at it from the top of the plate. It is not documented anywhere I can find. I had the problem and RancherPete had also experienced it and found the location using a continuity tester. I mentioned it to DJI and they did not suggest that the fuse was there either.

For the time being, I just jumpered the pads and it works just fine.
Latest blog entry: M200 FAQ's
Feb 02, 2013, 11:51 AM
Registered User
Old guy1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
It is on the + side. On the F450 frame it is between the + battery pad and the + esc pad to the left, looking at it from the top of the plate. It is not documented anywhere I can find. I had the problem and RancherPete had also experienced it and found the location using a continuity tester. I mentioned it to DJI and they did not suggest that the fuse was there either.

For the time being, I just jumpered the pads and it works just fine.
That's good to know, thanks for the info, Ed!
Gary
Feb 02, 2013, 04:16 PM
Registered User
v00d0o's Avatar
Finished the arms:


BUT...Crashed my Quad again. It appears it did the same thing again! I wonder what I need to fix. I am going to try to re-calibrate my motors.

I did break one prop (good thing I have an extra). I won't do this again on the deck... thats how it broke

Here is the video I captured:
Crashed -- HELP ME :( (0 min 51 sec)
Feb 02, 2013, 04:52 PM
DJI Support
Tahoe Ed's Avatar
@voodoo,

How do you have the Naza mounted to your frame? I ask because it appears to be at an angle to the level of the frame. It looks like the Naza thinks the right arms are lower and is trying to give more power to them to get level. That's one. The second thing is go to a park with grass or snow, something soft. Multi Rotors don't like sitting close to the ground in their own prop wash. When it starts to get light on the skids then pop it off the ground up to about 2-3 feet and let it set there for awhile to allow you to get yourself together. I would also make some 2-3" legs for it to get your lipo off the ground. I watched the motors and looked at the props and they appear to be correct to me. Let us know about the Naza mounting.
Latest blog entry: M200 FAQ's
Feb 02, 2013, 05:09 PM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
Are you 100% sure:

1. You have the right frame type (x quad or + quad) selected in the assistant?
2. The ESCs are plugged in to the correct ports on the Naza?
3. The motors are rotating in the correct directions?
4. The right props are on the right motors?
Feb 02, 2013, 05:19 PM
Registered User
v00d0o's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
@voodoo,

How do you have the Naza mounted to your frame? I ask because it appears to be at an angle to the level of the frame. It looks like the Naza thinks the right arms are lower and is trying to give more power to them to get level. That's one. The second thing is go to a park with grass or snow, something soft. Multi Rotors don't like sitting close to the ground in their own prop wash. When it starts to get light on the skids then pop it off the ground up to about 2-3 feet and let it set there for awhile to allow you to get yourself together. I would also make some 2-3" legs for it to get your lipo off the ground. I watched the motors and looked at the props and they appear to be correct to me. Let us know about the Naza mounting.
The naza is mounted via velcro onto the frame. Directly in the center. [EDIT: I just read.. velco is bad]

I'm about to go make some skids. Just So I don't have to strap the battery all over the top of the frame. Maybe this may solve another issue. I have also set up the quad indoors. I going to try this "testing rig".


Where I am pointing is forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Are you 100% sure:

1. You have the right frame type (x quad or + quad) selected in the assistant?
2. The ESCs are plugged in to the correct ports on the Naza?
3. The motors are rotating in the correct directions?
4. The right props are on the right motors?

1. yes
2. yes.
3. yes
4. yes
Last edited by v00d0o; Feb 02, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Feb 02, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
v00d0o's Avatar
MVI 0802 (0 min 52 sec)


I've created the test rig suggested by Tahoe Ed.
This is what is happening. Still flipping. This time, its the other way (to the left)
Feb 02, 2013, 06:42 PM
DJI Support
Tahoe Ed's Avatar
Now that you have the Naza mounted correctly. I want you to get the Receiver away from the Naza. Mount it on an arm, under the bottom plate, in between the plates, just not right next to the Naza. Put your mode led where you can see it when you are flying. Right now that would be at the back. You are not going to be doing any nose in flying for a while. Then take my other suggestion and get out to a park for your first test flight. Look as some of the videos of people taking off and see how they do it. Once you have done it a couple of times it is easy,
just a little scary.

I like the APC props that you have, but let it be known that they are very brittle in the cold. Get something cheap for now and save the more expensive APC's for later in the spring. Keep working at it. It will happen.

Any pilots near Fairfax, VA that can give a brother a helping hand? If you never ask no one can say yes. I have had plenty of help along the way.
Latest blog entry: M200 FAQ's
Feb 02, 2013, 07:01 PM
Registered User
v00d0o's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Now that you have the Naza mounted correctly. I want you to get the Receiver away from the Naza. Mount it on an arm, under the bottom plate, in between the plates, just not right next to the Naza. Put your mode led where you can see it when you are flying. Right now that would be at the back. You are not going to be doing any nose in flying for a while. Then take my other suggestion and get out to a park for your first test flight. Look as some of the videos of people taking off and see how they do it. Once you have done it a couple of times it is easy,
just a little scary.

I like the APC props that you have, but let it be known that they are very brittle in the cold. Get something cheap for now and save the more expensive APC's for later in the spring. Keep working at it. It will happen.

Any pilots near Fairfax, VA that can give a brother a helping hand? If you never ask no one can say yes. I have had plenty of help along the way.
Just checked my NAZA controller (took a break and ate some pizza) and the Rudder switch was really off for some reason. I think I had accidentally pressed one of the trim buttons. I will try again to see if this was the problem, Everything is now centered in the NAZA Assistant.
Feb 02, 2013, 07:12 PM
DJI Support
Tahoe Ed's Avatar
Good that you found that. The Naza does not like trims to make it fly. You might as well check everything again.
Latest blog entry: M200 FAQ's


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Drone Electronics 20299 Apr 12, 2017 06:23 PM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Drone Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 10:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 06:48 AM