Jan 28, 2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez
Actually just remembered. Chinese new years about to hit so your not gonna get squat for a while.

Just to be sure we're not missing something. You haven't told much about your setup, unless I missed it. Like what kind of motors, battery, power distribution. pics or a video wouldn't hurt. Maybe we can see something else.

edit: nm, i just saw your videos. hmm can't think of anything else right now...
I'm pretty pissed. How did I get 3 motors that don't work lol.....
Last edited by v00d0o; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2013, 09:03 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d0o
Thank you TJ.

Here is a video of the main problem I'm having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KABNUQia53E

Do I need to get rid of these bullet connectors?

I could just solder directly
My wife has something on her end table next to the bed that jumps around just like that! I guess her ESC could need calibration as well!
Jan 28, 2013, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I wasn't using the NAZA at all this whole time.. Just connected each motor straight to the Transmitter.

All my wiring for the ESCs are soldered connections with tightly wound wire and heatshrink/electrical tape. All connected to a "power spider."

How good is hobby king returns?
"How good is hobby king returns?" DONT EVEN ASK! why doesent everyone just buy the DJI ESCs and other stuff?. I have used the DJI stuff since day 1 with no trouble.
Jan 28, 2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
"How good is hobby king returns?" DONT EVEN ASK! why doesent everyone just buy the DJI ESCs and other stuff?. I have used the DJI stuff since day 1 with no trouble.
My ESCs are fine. I tested them all on a working motor and they all work... Unfortunately..my motors are the issue.. They are Turnigy 2217 20 turn 860kv motors. They come highly recommended...but 3 out of 4 failed. I think I just got very unlucky.
Jan 28, 2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM
That is REALLY a GREAT idea!
Imagine how fantastic it would be if you could dial in an optimum radius of the circle, like if you wanted to get in an entire house for example.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x4 Gemfan Woodies Props / GoPro Hero HD2
Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV
AUW 3S-4000mah = 1585g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200
Bernd
How do you like the Gemfan 10x4 woodies? I just got some for my F450, but the weather is so bad, I have only been able to hover in the house (only while the wife is gone, flying something that big in the house would freak her out)
Gary
Jan 28, 2013, 10:04 PM
Empire Support

Pretest All Components

I've been in meetings since mid-afternoon, and I'm just catching up on v00d0o's issues.
FWIW, v00d0o, I've never gotten a bad HK motor.
But, I have always used the "SK" motors.
I know this doesn't help your problem, but everyone should always pretest their equipment before making permanent or "hard-wired" installations.
Bad products get past everyone's QC programs.
If you pretest, at least you save yourself a little time and aggravation.
This also allows you the opportunity to check motor balance and calibration if necessary.

I know this is new to you, and a lesson like this one is very poor timing.
Remember earlier today when I praised your truthfulness about your experience level?
The way you are dealing with this seems to be another shining example of your maturity.
This hobby can build character and patience.
You are well ahead of many here that are older than you when it comes to how you handle adversity.
Keep learning!
We'll be here when you need us...
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
Empire Support

Solder Joints

Quote:
Well this sucks...I just sent in a refund...Don't know how that will turn out.

I'm going to try and re-solder connections just to make sure.
If I'm preaching to the choir, I'm sorry, but make sure your joints shine like mercury.
A gray, grainy joint is a poor one...
Jan 28, 2013, 10:09 PM

Two F-450 Flying

Here's a vid that BerndM and I made today.

Flying Two DJI Naza F-450's Together (4 min 30 sec)
Jan 28, 2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
I've been in meetings since mid-afternoon, and I'm just catching up on v00d0o's issues.
FWIW, v00d0o, I've never gotten a bad HK motor.
But, I have always used the "SK" motors.
I know this doesn't help your problem, but everyone should always pretest their equipment before making permanent or "hard-wired" installations.
Bad products get past everyone's QC programs.
If you pretest, at least you save yourself a little time and aggravation.
This also allows you the opportunity to check motor balance and calibration if necessary.

What is SK?

I'm going to have to spend a lot of money to replace these... I hate hobby king now !
Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
Empire Support

Hk sk

Quote:
What is SK?

I'm going to have to spend a lot of money to replace these... I hate hobby king now !
I agree with you.
Most of us have a love/hate relationship with HobbyKing.
If you want more than a battery or two, you just about have to deal with them.

SK was a designation for Hobby King's higher grade motors.
Still cheap, but supposedly a little better than regular Turnigy stuff.
I'm not sure if they are still available.
If you're looking at going on and replacing the motors while Hobby King gives you the run-around, you might want to consider some of the Chinese motors available from USA dealers.
The DJI motors are pretty good.
Many of us use SunnySky motors available through EPBuddy.
Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
My ESCs are fine. I tested them all on a working motor and they all work... Unfortunately..my motors are the issue.. They are Turnigy 2217 20 turn 860kv motors. They come highly recommended...but 3 out of 4 failed. I think I just got very unlucky.
"Once is happenstance,
Twice is coincidence,
Three times is enemy action." Goldfinger (Ian Fleming)
Jan 28, 2013, 10:49 PM
umm...for some odd and very strange reason. One of my motors started workingl aoeihgpaw thp21u6h19-734ty hphqa!@$?!@

The other two must be able to work too.. Do I need to clean them out or something? I don't really know what just happened.

Also, my DJI NAZA stopped working though (I don't think its configured correctly again) But now that I got two motors working...I'm inclined to believe the other two maybe just slow or need some rest?

edit:

A fellow builder having the same problem. Maybe my luck has changed. I'll leave the motor for tomorrow. Resolder/check ALL connections and wires.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=31
Jan 28, 2013, 11:02 PM
Empire Support

Just Started Working?

Quote:
umm...for some odd and very strange reason. One of my motors started workingl aoeihgpaw thp21u6h19-734ty hphqa!@$?!@

The other two must be able to work too.. Do I need to clean them out or something? I don't really know what just happened.

Also, my DJI NAZA stopped working though (I don't think its configured correctly again) But now that I got two motors working...I'm inclined to believe the other two maybe just slow or need some rest?

edit:

A fellow builder having the same problem. Maybe my luck has changed. I'll leave the motor for tomorrow. Resolder/check ALL connections and wires.

It sounds like you have a bad connection of some kind.
MCrites ruled out a bad power distribution board when you told him one motor was working.
I don't know exactly what you meant by a "power spider".
If it's what I suspect, you butt-soldered several wires together to form a "spokes on a wheel" type thing.
I'm not questioning your soldering skills, but since you were going to do this anyway...
Desolder your ESCs from the "power spider" and set then up to test and run the motors and ESCs separately.
See what you get...

Another point of advice from someone old enough to be your grandfather....
You've been at this all day.
Your nerves (even though they are young) are probably frazzled.
Give this thing a rest.
It will be waiting on you tomorrow, and things might look much different in the light of a new day...
Jan 29, 2013, 12:10 AM
KG7TTQ - Hauser, ID
Quote:

edit:

Couple more cents?
The video looks like a synch problem which would indicate an incompatibility between the ESC's and the motors or a bad connection. I've had the synch issue using Rimfire motors and Plush 60 ESC's and I actually cooked one of the Plush 60's on my bench tester when this occurred. The motor would occasionally start and run OK but then the jitters would start and finally...smoke. I bought a Scorpion ESC for , the Rimfire and no problems, ran like a champ.

So to add to what TJ said, I too have never had an HK motor fail (SK2 in my case) but I have had a Plush ESC fail.

On the HK returns, I have had no issues. I have returned several items including a Blue Series ESC that was DOA and a Compact Lipo that would not balance. I emailed them, got an RMA and was able to return these two to the USA warehouse even though they were purchased from China. Total turn around was about five days.

BTW - a very experienced friend bought 6 Turnigy Type TY-P1 and 4 of them smoked within 30 seconds of start up. Don't buy them!

Good luck!
Jan 29, 2013, 04:11 AM
Have you recharged your batteries ? after all the messing around, they could be low.....having a 'rest' gives them time to recover a bit.

Quote:

edit:

Quick Reply