Thread Tools
Dec 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
Checkout my new video with my hoverthings FPV quad and dji naza+ GPS
Watch it you'll love it!
"EPIC" Hoverthings FPV Flight Video! (must watch) (4 min 34 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2012, 08:46 AM
Suspended Account
So far 73 charge discharge cycles on my NANO and it's still working like the day I first used it!. I suspect those that have trouble with this battery do so after using it the wrong way!. I have just ordered 5 more NANOs for my collection!
Dec 04, 2012, 08:51 AM
Suspended Account
Now this guy has GUTS!
Prof. Iadevaia Takes Apart A LiPo Battery (10 min 56 sec)
Dec 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
I never finish anyth
Stupidity =/= guts

How hard would it be to put on a pair of gloves.
Dec 04, 2012, 09:06 AM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

I Told You So...


Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
So far 73 charge discharge cycles on my NANO and it's still working like the day I first used it!. I suspect those that have trouble with this battery do so after using it the wrong way!. I have just ordered 5 more NANOs for my collection!
I really like the Nanos and still have not had the problems others post about.
You know, even a spoon won't work if you use it wrong...
Dec 04, 2012, 09:08 AM
I never finish anyth
I have 4 4S 5000mah 45C Nanos... just ordered two more yesterday.
Dec 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
It looks like there is a lot of pieces and a fair amount of "hand assembly" in a lipo. Amazing that they can manufacture and sell a cheap 3S lipo for less than 10 bucks.
Dec 04, 2012, 09:12 AM
I never finish anyth
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
It looks like there is a lot of pieces and a fair amount of "hand assembly" in a lipo. Amazing that they can manufacture and sell a cheap 3S lipo for less than 10 bucks.
Kids work cheap in China...
Dec 04, 2012, 09:34 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
I really like the Nanos and still have not had the problems others post about.
You know, even a spoon won't work if you use it wrong...
Just a word about statistics. It could just be a small percentage of nanos that have the voltage drop issue. Say for example its 5%. You and many others may go your whole battery buying career without ever encountering one. That doesn't mean that 5% isn't still a large defect rate if say the competitors have <1% defective. Just saying I don't read anyone posting about other batteries dropping well over a volt from first use. I myself have about 5 nanos which I care for all the same and only have this problem with one. You can't make a general statement about the quality of a product based on only your experience. But when you start to see many people posting with the same issue, it becomes evident that statistically, it is a problem.
Dec 04, 2012, 09:34 AM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

Manufacturing Statistics


W.R.T. bad batteries...
A manufacturer is very pleased if less that .5% of a product manufactured is defective in some way. (This is loosely based on military standards.)
That's one in every two hundred.
Modern mass production has shaved this percentage to much less.
And, if you dig deep into the Japanese "zero defects" programs (taught to them by Americans), you'll find that it does not mean that there will be no defects...
For conversation, let's say it's down to one in a thousand.
That represents the ones that managed to get past the Japanese's (or other orientals') extra scrutiny from their "zero defects" programs.
With the number of posters we see on these forums, it's easy to understand that we'll see 1 to 5 posts saying Nanos stink.
Those guys are the one in a thousand.
And most posts are the result of problems.
Very few of us get on RCG and talk about how great something is...

And, yes, I'm willing to accept that my bad Naza might have been one in a thousand...
A "zero defects" program quickly replaces that stinker...

Also, I don't think Hobby King or DJI would keep knowingly manufacturing and selling something that they knew was bugged.
In a digital economy, that would be the kiss of death.
Word would be out in a matter of days, or even hours...


http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/26/chi...rtonchina.html
http://www.isixsigma.com/new-to-six-...-does-it-mean/
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added some reading material...
Dec 04, 2012, 04:27 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites
Stupidity =/= guts

How hard would it be to put on a pair of gloves.
Can you believe the guy in that video is one of the top Professors at my local collage! David G. Iadevaia, Professor of Astronomy and Physics http://ecc.pima.edu/~diadevaia/
Dec 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

Scared Me Into Watching The Whole Thing...


Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
Can you believe the guy in that video is one of the top Professors at my local collage! David G. Iadevaia, Professor of Astronomy and Physics http://ecc.pima.edu/~diadevaia/
When he shorted the poles and got sparks, it perked my interest.
I'd assumed he knew the thing was dead before that.

I must say though that it was practically dead.
The one time I've had a foul-up, a couple of balance connector pins pulled out and a piece of metal shorted across them.
The small metal piece made one of the pins glow like a light filament.
I was holding my breathe big time, but no ignition ensued.


I think I'd have had on gloves, long sleeves (preferably welder's sleeves), and more than just my reading glasses.
But I actually wouldn't have tried it in the first place.
A newbie might think it's okay to try what he did at home.
That scares me more than his actions on the video...
Dec 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
When he shorted the poles and got sparks, it perked my interest.
I'd assumed he knew the thing was dead before that.

I must say though that it was practically dead.
The one time I've had a foul-up, a couple of balance connector pins pulled out and a piece of metal shorted across them.
The small metal piece made one of the pins glow like a light filament.
I was holding my breathe big time, but no ignition ensued.


I think I'd have had on gloves, long sleeves (preferably welder's sleeves), and more than just my reading glasses.
But I actually wouldn't have tried it in the first place.
A newbie might think it's okay to try what he did at home.
That scares me more than his actions on the video...
But.........he has a PHD!
Dec 04, 2012, 07:13 PM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

So What?


Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
But.........he has a PHD!
I know several PhD's who don't know "you know what" from Shinola.

He was as dumb as any of us on the video.
He was seeing the inside of a lipo for the first time, just like we were.
Dec 04, 2012, 07:18 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
I know several PhDs who don't know "you know what" from Shinola.
Well I will be meeting with the gentleman next Saturday. He has a interest in Quadcopters and FPV. If you take a look at some of his U Tube videos of his quad I think he will be amazed by the NAZA. I will try to inlightn him on the lipo dangers. Who knows he may remove the video so no one gets any ideas.
Prof. Iadevaia Has Quadcopter Success! (1 min 25 sec)
Last edited by goldsworthy; Dec 04, 2012 at 07:25 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Drone Electronics 20299 Apr 12, 2017 06:23 PM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Drone Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 10:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 06:48 AM