Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 06, 2011, 01:46 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Discussion

STICTION 1.7m - "PSP"

This is the second in the line of 6 woody VTPR/Aerobatic birds I am developing. They are all what I term as "PSP" - Profile Slope Planes birthing themselves from the prototype ZEPPELIN.

This one in particular is a dual effort by CptMike and myself. He primarily came up with the fuselage profile shape and is also doing a semi-mad stab option as where the prototype Zeppelin is an elevator version. The STICTION will also have the proven rubber band wing mount, 26-29oz AUW with a modified 68" span SB96V airfoil.

These fun little ships are easy to build, very economical and very durable due to the low mass inertia design and impact measures taken. You will note these features with more detail in the videos over on ZEPPELIN thread.

Eric
Last edited by oldscooler; Nov 06, 2011 at 01:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2011, 01:04 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Here is the completed fuse plank. Its 3-ply balsa...
Last edited by oldscooler; Nov 06, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Nov 06, 2011, 07:27 AM
It's time for me to fly
Looks cool. Curious about the name though.....in the mountain biking world, "stiction" refers to undesirable stickiness in the movement of the suspension fork.
Nov 06, 2011, 11:05 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
As with the Zeppelin build Eric, I'm going to follow this one with interest!
Nov 06, 2011, 05:03 PM
Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Looks cool. Curious about the name though.....in the mountain biking world, "stiction" refers to undesirable stickiness in the movement of the suspension fork.
I've heard it used to describe undesirable stickiness in an airplane's control surfaces as well. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

It does look like a nice plane though.
Nov 06, 2011, 05:04 PM
I really like the lines on this one!
Nov 06, 2011, 05:20 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Its just a name guys. the proof will be in the flight characteristics which I expect will have a cutting and stick-too-itness in the aerobatic lines it performs. Glad you like Ward, it has a certain scaley look about it.

Moving on, here are some pics of the flying stab, feathers and CF pieces.

Eric
Nov 07, 2011, 01:36 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Some wing action... 1/32 balsa skins - 32" x 2.25" ailerons, a little tamed down from the Zeppelin's massive ails. TE has 0.070" round CF stock. This cleans up the TE nicely and is a very easy and lightweight strengthening feature.

Eric
Nov 07, 2011, 12:14 PM
stuck in ol' Uffni again...
Eric, aerodynamicists say a rounded TE is about the worst for drag. Is there some square stock you could use instead?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Nov 07, 2011, 12:35 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Dieter,
Thanks for the input. The CF round stock can be easily block sanded if desired. And since these models are designed for slow air speeds down to hover a clean TE isn't all that important. I will be putting together another wing for #3 model coming up that will have a thin TE for comparison testing.

As noted the flat square TE on my Gryphon aerobatic wing has a thickness of 4.5 mm. And as you allude the induced drag is minimal as it reaches it's limit then the air speed flattens out. These and other extra lightweight models do present some interesting characteristics.

Eric
Nov 07, 2011, 11:58 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Here are pics of the "wing ramp" after being cut. This facilitates wing and fuselage protection from damage on impact as shown in the Zeppelin impact test video.

Eric
Nov 18, 2011, 12:50 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Some more wing action. Ailerons are 2-1/4" chord with lots of throw. Note the extra thick sub trailing edge stock to help act as a wing stiffener. It will get glassed at the root top and bottom then its onto installing servos and aileron hinges. Shooting for 11-12oz total wing weight...

Eric
Nov 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Some feather work under way... Sorry for the build lapse.

E
Last edited by oldscooler; Nov 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Nov 28, 2011, 12:26 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Side shot of fin, rudder and tail skag...
Nov 28, 2011, 12:26 AM
Nice rudder! What mil NS is that?