May 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
algy-
your comments remided me of something...

Back in 2003, several fellow modellers, and myself, were working for Dawn Patrol Aviation, and produced a full sized mock-up of the R-1 for the Los Angles County Fair's Centenial of Flight theme. We built it in 17 days and nights, starting with only a rudimentary fuselage frame, on hand. All else was fabricated and finished in that time frame. Based on 1/4 scale R/C plan by Vern Clements, with parts, formers, ribs etc. blown up 4x at Kinko's.

My direct contributions were wing assembly&skinning, location of formers on frame, horizonta tail (oops... made a small mistake in layout, so it's abit asym!) and carved the foam wheel pants.

Giant model now resides at Planes of Fame, Chino, CA. Warts and all.

http://www.skytamer.com/Granville_Gee_Bee_R-1.html

Cockpit has seat, so all of us got to see what it was like to look out over/around that huge nose, and ittybitty wings (our model is actually slightly bigger than the real article- blame Kinko's for the distortion). One realizes that even in level flight there wass no view ahead, only to the sides. Oh, BTW the insturment panel was detailed by actually cutting out the paper patern from the enlarged plan and cementing it to the ply bulkhead. It really was building a large model airplane!
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2
I will keep an eye out for the PINK LADY plan and post if found.

I do have the plan and build article scanned for the PINK ELEPHANT from the May 1979 issue. It’s an F.A.I. glider of very similar design. Thought I had previously posted it but a search of the indexes does not bring it up.

If you want can post it next time.

Cheers

Algy
PINK ELEPHANT: -

You did post them Algy - I have copies if anyone is interested.
May 10, 2012, 01:52 PM

Gee Bee R1

Quote:
Hi,
This time it’s the May 1991 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Roy Collins with his latest Power craft taken at the 1990 UK Nationals.

One free flight design to be found in the form of a very nice scale rubber GEE BEE R-1 by ANDREW HEWITT.

This is quite a large rubber model despite the wingspan being just 21 inches. Small wings were all the rage for best dressed Racers of that era.

The original, it seems, was rather tricky to fly but Andrew said his very accurate to scale in outline creation has excellent flying qualities being stable and flies safely in windy conditions. The 1/12th plan is full size.

Certainly a very famous plane and as a model would look rather special in the air.

Cheers

Algy
Algy -- thank you so much for posting the Gee Bee and the cover of the issue in which it was published.

I am sure that I bought that issue when it came out and have been looking for it ever since I got involved in electric powered models. Now that I have a picture of the cover, it will greatly help my search. I see that the span is 21 inches, so it is a little smaller than a Herr kit I stashed away, but I would still like to give it a try, even if as originally designed for rubber power.

I have been a Gee Bee and Jimmie Doolittle fan ever since I first saw the Gee Bee Profile publication.

Thanks again,

Pete G.
May 12, 2012, 12:59 AM

Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To the December 1991 AEROMODELLER with the cover photo showing New Zealander PETER FOSTERS magnificent BRISTOL F.2.B which took out first place in Open Rubber at the Interscale 91.

The first free flight plan is a very rare one indeed. VIC SMEED takes a detailed look at the Australian contender for the 1935 Wakefield Cup.

It’s the MILTON SPECIAL which flew into 5th place being proxy flown by S.R.CROW.

Vic has redrawn the plan and added a few gentle modifications. The origional designers name is unknown.

The printed plan scale or the wingspan is not given so you are on your own blowing it up to the correct size.

Next to the free full size fold out plans which were given the collective title of a SWARM OF BEES.

These are the work of MARK BEE who managed to fit four models on the one plan sheet.

I built one of them ,the BUMBLE BIPE, and it is a great indoor flyer. Very slow and stately . I used a propeller from an old Hanger Rat.

Thanks for the feedback on the GEE BEE plan. The building by Packardpursuit and friends of the full size replica in only 17 days and nights was incredible. Looks great in the photos.

I too like Peter G find it a fascinating subject and when rereading the issue spend a long time looking at the plans. Maybe one day?

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; May 12, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
May 12, 2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
MILTON SPECIAL
The printed plan scale or the wingspan is not given so you are on your own blowing it up to the correct size.
Algy
According to the SAM 1066 list at http://www.sam1066.org/library.xls the span is 43 inches. Not defintive, though.

If you assume the 16 inch prop is drawn to scale the span comes out at 40 1/2 inches. Scaling the plan on that assumption gives a 3 inch rib spacing, which is a convincingly round number.

Roger
May 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
flight999
3" is rather a large number even for those days. Think the rules
specified a maximum total surface area - wing and stab - added
together (about 280²") and a fuz cross sectional area (if it applied)
based on the formula L²/100.
Sorry I can't remember, but I hope this helps.
May 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc41
According to the SAM 1066 list at http://www.sam1066.org/library.xls the span is 43 inches. Not defintive, though.

If you assume the 16 inch prop is drawn to scale the span comes out at 40 1/2 inches. Scaling the plan on that assumption gives a 3 inch rib spacing, which is a convincingly round number.

Roger
That's an "in the ballpark" size for a 8 oz wake isn't it? Perhaps the wider than normal rib spacing is a result of the 1/2 ribs. Don't know much about these things but I've gotten interested in the 1/2 wakes getting popular in the US.

Finished a TYKE from plans in the vintage thread and it's a nice flyer.

scrubs
May 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
Model Aircraft December 1954 (Both plans from this issue have previously been posted in another group. Re posted here for those that missed them)

Wendy 36" span FF sport

Happy Wanderer 56" span R/C sport

Model Aircraft January 1955

English Electric P.1A 13.5" span FF jetex 50

Fleet Finch 38" span FF scale

Nevensage 23.5" span international / class A team racer posted in C/L group
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=388
May 15, 2012, 02:13 AM

Hi,
This time it’s to the February 1986 AEROMODELLER with cover showing Bill Dennis’s first indoor rubber powered scale model the AVRO AVIAN MONOPLANE. The full size plan was to be found inside.

Firstly to ASPIS a very pleasant vintage style power model by PETE FISHER.

Of 36 “ wingspan it will take any diesel of glow engine from 0.3 to 0.8cc.

Peter said three have been built and all flew of the board. Of conventional construction it’s just the model to have tucked a way for relaxing afternoons flying. The plan is at ¼ scale.

Next to a very attractive scale rubber effort by BILL DENNIS the AVRO AVIAN MOMOPLANE subject of this months cover photo..

This is a rarely modelled subject and Bill gives a very detailed construction article including colour scheme to go with the full size plan.

Finally we go “Mini Vintage” with MINI HELIDES being a CO2 version by JOHN RUSSEL of R.A. GRASMEDER’S 1950 original.

Wingspan is 26” and it would look very nice in the air. It even has a Dethermalizer and could be converted very easily to small electric power. Plan is full size.

Cheers

Algy
May 15, 2012, 06:18 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Love the Aspis!

Got quite a jolt when I realised that 1986 is now 26 years ago.....
May 15, 2012, 07:16 AM
The Aspis and Avian are lovely, thanks..

Bulent
May 16, 2012, 02:12 AM

Hi,
To the September 1987 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing DAVE CHINERY’s magnificent DH91w ALBATROSS for quadruple Acoms electric power posed in front of the DE HAVILLAND HANGER AT OLD WARDEN..

To the first free flight plan and it was printed full size across two pages. It’s DICK HOWARD’s DOUBLE TOP.

DOUBLE TOP is an intriguing twin design for rubber power and was designed to fly in the Embryo class events.

Of simple practical lightweight construction flights of 50 seconds to four minutes can be had and there is even the suggestion to increase the wingspan for greater performance.

Looks to be the ideal introduction into multi rubber free flight.

Next to one of legendary ALBERT E. HATFULL’s greatest sport designs the JUNIOR 60.

But this time a ‘Mini” version, JUST JUNIOR by PAUL HOWEY. Of 42” wingspan it can be flown free flight or R/C assist just like the original.

Paul said the Junior 60 was probably the most popular vintage model in the UK being remarkably stable and reliable. This smaller version for 1-1.5cc power carries on the tradition.

Cheers

Algy
May 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
Lovely place, Cape Town...
Yeah but they keep having ships parking on their beaches.
Jap trawler on Clifton Beach arrived in fog on Saturday and they've been trying to get it off ever since.

Cheers from Jo'burg

Sr Falcon
May 16, 2012, 09:37 AM
flight999
Must be3 force of habit. THey used to confiscate them
pre 1941.
May 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Quote:
...JUST JUNIOR by PAUL HOWEY. Of 42” wingspan it can be flown free flight or R/C assist just like the original...
Nice work Algy, I love this plan. On investigation it seems this plan is actually 48in span, not the 42in span as stated in the magazine (and on the plan itself). I mean Aeromodeller magazine seem to have made a printing error, when they printed it.

Steve

Quick Reply