Oct 14, 2021, 09:42 AM
No dear, I've always had that
I'm definitely in the budget category compared to y'all! But I've been really happy with my Turnigy QuadKore + Bitmain APW7 power supply. I rarely charge above 1C though, so 20A per output channel is fine for me. The Bitmain power supplies are reasonably priced, meant for continuous use, and this one will supply 1000W / 80A on 110V or 1800W / 150A on 220V @ 95% efficiency. Throw in a knock-off Pelican case from Harbor Freight to cart everything to the field and I'm only in it for about $400.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2021, 09:50 AM
I use the Harbor Freight case as well, great value.

MLT
Oct 14, 2021, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
Nothing fancy for me, just 8 channels of 300+ watt charging mounted on a pedal board

FWIW, I've had 2 ISDT chargers fail spectacularly, one with smoke, one actually caught fire (fortunately I was there watching). No more ISDT for me, YMMV. Also, the ToolkitRC M6D charger shown on the end here has been replaced with another HOTA. Unfortunately the M6D has a problem where the cell voltages get out of calibration easily and it will actually UN-balance your batteries. It requires a labor intensive manual re-calibration to fix - another brand I now avoid (but at least didn't burst into flames! ).

EDIT: Total cost for this 8 channel charging rig is under $500 including a 1500W 24V supply. I charge at 1.5C at most so 1500W is adequate. Added bonus, I can charge my iPhone on top of the HOTA D6 charger.
Aside from the 1500W 24v supply, can the dual HOTA D6 Pro charge at 15A per side, or is it sharing a 15A total with just the AC input?
Oct 14, 2021, 10:44 AM
What would lonelasso do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn
Just curious, which were the ISDT models that burned?
So far my 2 Q8Max have been working great. What I like about ISDT chargers is the small size and ease of calibration, not to mention the price.
When my T8 malfunctioned I opened it to see if I could spot any obvious issues and I did observe significant internal corrosion. I live very close to the shore and the salty air destroys almost everything around here so this could have been the contributor.
Ronaldo
They were Q6 Lite chargers that I bought from HK. They lasted a little over a year (warranty period) and then both failed within weeks of each other. Never abused, I was typically charging 6S batteries at 5A. Here's a picture of the one that smoked, it would still power up but not do anything. In addition, I've had 2 out of 3 ISDT dischargers I bought fail within days, one on first use. I still have an FD200 that works and I was able to get refunded on the 2 that failed. I'm happy that other people have better experiences with them but I will not buy another of their products. I'm in hot, humid Texas but no salt air. The chargers were used in a relatively protected environment (enclosed garage and covered area at flying field).

The HOTA chargers have been the best by far for me, excellent function, size, reliability and price. The P6 is an outstanding value:
https://www.getfpv.com/hota-p6-600w-...t-charger.html
Last edited by jfv61; Oct 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM.
Oct 14, 2021, 10:46 AM
Came across this in searching for background information. Appears like iCharger is updating their line. Looks like reasonable value from reputable manufacturer. (although it looks a little like an ISDT charger)

https://www.progressiverc.com/collec...ts/icharger-s6

Mike
Oct 14, 2021, 10:55 AM
What would lonelasso do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
Aside from the 1500W 24v supply, can the dual HOTA D6 Pro charge at 15A per side, or is it sharing a 15A total with just the AC input?
I don't use the Pro, it has a minimal 200W supply, although you can use an external supply as well. The Chinese 1500W supplies are less than $100, for me it's a no brainer. I arrive at the field and start charging immediately, by the time I have my truck unloaded, plane(s) assembled and have settled in the batteries are charged. I think 10A is the most I've ever charged at but the D6 or P6 will do that on both channels simultaneously with no problem using the 24V supply. Now that I have some SMC 9700 batteries maybe I'll try the full 15A just to test, I generally stay pretty close to 1C for charging, if in a hurry I'll go up to 1.5.
Oct 14, 2021, 04:53 PM
I use these in the workshop, Progressive Dynamics PD9280, 1300W 80A just under $300. Made for the RV industry so they're purpose designed to be a charger/desulphators for a 12V powerbank. Far too heavy to willingly carry one, much less two. Handy in the workshop, however. Nicely made, with cooling fins and a 4" fan. Need to use a 20A circuit/receptacle. I've got two and they're plenty for whatever I am doing. But like MLT, I have more than one large model for larger capacity 12S power systems and am moving in that direction more and more for my warbirds. Anyway, the Junsi iCharger S6 does look interesting, thanks for pointing it out. Someone kindly explain regenerative charging. Knowing nothing whatsoever. it sounds like as it discharges a pack for storage it puts the juice
Last edited by jbeech; Oct 17, 2021 at 06:08 PM.
Oct 15, 2021, 01:39 AM
Pretty crazy. I can charge 8 x 7S8000 at once. Usually I am charging 6x 7S8000 and 2x 7S5000 or 2x 6S3300 for a 60'
Oct 15, 2021, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech
The 24 volt Mean Well power supplies are AC->DC? They're nice and slender. Anyway, I see both 350W and 500W, not much difference in price in the grand scheme of things, which ones do you use?
I am using a Mean Well RSP 3000W-48v-62.5A power supply. ***winter***
Oct 15, 2021, 08:58 PM
I need some advice. I’ve been running a Xpwr 22 in my EF 60” Laser. I now have 158 flight. Very happy with the performance. My question is about oiling the bearings. I’ve always oiled my motors front and rear bearings every 50 or so flights. Not easy to do on the 22. The front bearing is covered by the stator tube. I think the front bearings must be installed from the rear? Does anyone else worrying about oiling?
Oct 16, 2021, 08:31 AM

True Confessions

There are some discussions on this thread that I try to stay on the sidelines about because what I do is not what I would suggest. Mine are are NOT always the best practices. The way I treat my motors, batteries, chargers, and certainly my airplanes, is by no means to be considered 'good and acceptable'. I was always the kid that pushed his toys to the limit, took them apart to see what was going on, and challenged their survivability. When my son fell in love with the hobby and got really good, really quickly, I would put something new in my plane and tell him to see if he could break it. Which only proves that when I couldn't break my toys, I had someone else try too.

I do a lot of product development and testing because I enjoy it and it fills a lot of time between actual flying. Covid, an unusually rainy season, and the typical summer heat in FL, along with three renovation projects around the house, have limited flight time for me more than ever since St. Patrick's Day of 2019. So charging and testing motors, props, and batteries, means that everything is still in use, except my planes, several times a week and under test conditions. So with that said, I have some comments and confessions about chargers and motor maintenance.

First, Olivier's charging station looks a lot more like mine than Michael's, which is sad.

I'd truly like to get my station in order as Michael has done. The only difference between Olivier's and mine is that it all fits in one of four the padded aluminum cases I bring to the field. Another holds my Speky and JR transmitters, a third holds my batteries, and a smaller fourth is my RC toolbox. So although everything is nice and neat on the outside, the inside looks like a disheveled nest of wires and chargers.

And from what I'm hearing about failing charges that are new to the market and look great, my discontinued $39 and seven-plus year old chargers, and my power supplies that look like they arrived one Christmas from the Island of Misfit Toys, may have to stick around a little longer. I'm not inclined to toss cosmetically challenged, working components, for new ones that look great and cost a lot if they are going to fail in 12 months.

The second thing is that I've never owned motor bearing oil every, and have been flying 100% electric since May of 2012 from 480W to 12.4 kW systems. I'm not condoning it and actually find it a little embarrassing to admit. Just stating a fact. It could be why I have a very small circle of brands that I use, and it could be that I have no problem replacing motor bearings and shafts if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L .White
I need some advice. I’ve been running a Xpwr 22 in my EF 60” Laser. I now have 158 flight. Very happy with the performance. My question is about oiling the bearings. I’ve always oiled my motors front and rear bearings every 50 or so flights. Not easy to do on the 22. The front bearing is covered by the stator tube. I think the front bearings must be installed from the rear? Does anyone else worrying about oiling?
Oct 16, 2021, 08:42 AM
Until next season, I will build the charger and the power supply into the case. ***winter***
Oct 16, 2021, 09:36 AM
nsg
nsg
I'm depressingly old-fashioned. 2x Hyperion 1420, one recently added 720 duo. Each will charge up to a 14s set.

There's also a small touchscreen charger for small stuff.
Oct 16, 2021, 10:00 AM
Is everyone charging indoors? I see a lot of pics of stations set up inside.

I never charge indoors but I live on the gulf coast of FL so being outside all year is what we do. I do all my charging and testing outside. It gets a bit warm between 12 and 4 from July to early October, but I can fall into the pool from where I stand during testing.

I've never had to charge batteries when the air temp was under 65*F and I haven't seen snow since March of 1994 when I abandoned the northeast. So maybe that explains it since I don't pay much attention to weather elsewhere.
Oct 16, 2021, 11:45 AM
They Call him Dead!
Thread OP
FWIW, I use 2 repurposed computer server PS in series to give me 24 volts at 1,000 watts I think (can't remember how may watts honestly). With my PL6 I can parallel charge (6) 4,000 mAh lips in about 20 minutes if I want to....

It really not that difficult to convert them....

Quick Reply