Sep 14, 2019, 06:47 PM
I tried the dual BEC setup in my Pau Edge. I think it worked fine - its still a bit strange to wire teo BECs. I wont test that again, as I prefer the Skywing Edge. I have a small light Powerbox with a big capacitor in my Skywing edge, so a single BEC is better. Thats whybI tried the high end BEC Prototyping R2. It works perfectly, so it stays there. I wired it at the output if the 14S8300, the two wires (thick enough) are going durectly (without a plug) into the Powerbox.

We had some great flights today and I made a video of Christof Kobel flying my Edge....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 12:25 AM
My StinGR-Video with 14S and BEC. Christof Kobel is flying my Skywing Edge 105 V2). He obviously flies gas usually :-). This was a hard flight for motor and batteries. StinGR, 14S8300, Scorpion 5035/458, YGE320HVT, Mejzlik 28x12 LF.

Skywing Edge 105 V2, Electric Flight, 14S 8200, StinGR (6 min 0 sec)
Sep 15, 2019, 12:56 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Very nice!! It was quite funny to see the pile of grass move when he was in the low hover!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Sep 15, 2019, 06:54 AM
Ronaldo Nogueira
That Edge flies as light as a foamie, Olivier
Great flying from your friend, the power system is definitely approved on the extreme fanatics category!
Ronaldo
Sep 15, 2019, 09:31 AM
Great video, Olivier. Thanks for doing that, and send my thanks to Christof for making the StinGR power system look so good.
Sep 15, 2019, 01:44 PM
@Ronaldo.. Yes the Edge looks really light. Its still really good in everything.

I heard the Skywing Slick 104V2 is even 500 gramms less... (I guess my next plane is that Slick)

My combo with 14S8300 was a bit warm after that flight . A 12S8000 System would have been even warmer. I am definetly staying with 14 S and I hope I can try a Falcon 28x13 soon. The Falcon should be less stressful for everything.

My controller, the YGE320 HVT stays completely cool. Like 40 degrees celsius.

@ Aeroplayin. Thank YOU. You sticked to the idea of a well layed out gearbox. This is the way to go. Tucson Pilot Mel Nipkow also had a flight with my Edge (we missed to film that) and he said, its definetly the same power as a good DA120-System , but much more power from hoover and everything is much more predictable.
Last edited by Leelander; Sep 15, 2019 at 01:49 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:33 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelander
@Ronaldo.. Yes the Edge looks really light. Its still really good in everything.

I heard the Skywing Slick 104V2 is even 500 gramms less... (I guess my next plane is that Slick)

My combo with 14S8300 was a bit warm after that flight . A 12S8000 System would have been even warmer. I am definetly staying with 14 S and I hope I can try a Falcon 28x13 soon. The Falcon should be less stressful for everything.

My controller, the YGE320 HVT stays completely cool. Like 40 degrees celsius.

@ Aeroplayin. Thank YOU. You sticked to the idea of a well layed out gearbox. This is the way to go. Tucson Pilot Mel Nipkow also had a flight with my Edge (we missed to film that) and he said, its definetly the same power as a good DA120-System , but much more power from hoover and everything is much more predictable.
That was some super flying on your video Olivier, the big Edge looked like a 60.

I'll second your feelings on the StinGr. Flying my Mega Bushy today and I find it amazing how it drags around my 28lb plus plane. FANTASTIC! And mine's a cool wind, using the stock wind and pulling a max of 140 amps on 12s.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
I still do not use anything from the Hobbywing lineup other than the Platinum Pro V4 200A OPTO, which is still a solid unit.

From your settings, the only thing I would try is lowering the startup and timing. I'd put the startup back to 3 and lower the timing to something like 12 to 19.

I like to make the motor and prop do the work which generally means to me that I don't need the controller to do anything more than what normal and default settings offer.

The first thing I though about when you first mentioned it was the solder joints. As you know, I never used any connector config more sophisticated than individual unsheathed 6.5mm Castle bullets that I solder and heat shrink myself. IMO, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages especially when configuring multiple series and parallel packs. Plus I never have to add wire length on anything under 35% airframes, although I now would always add a cap pack to every new ESC from 74" and up. I also add a fan now too when possible.

Some controllers are just quirky when it comes to wire length and connectors, as Olivier has discovered too, so I don't add anything that I don't need in order to keep it simple. I have a problem putting together a $3,000 airplane and trust it to a $2 connector of an unknown quality and soldered by someone else with a quota.

Of course, it could be just a bad controller but I'm not sure how you would test your wiring first. Seems like a lot of joints that could be bad.
Doing a search of this thread on HW esc's, as I'm having issues with my Castle160/Xpwr60 combo--found this quote. Not too much newer on HW compatibility with Xpwr motors. Has anyone tried the HW200 with the Xpwr60, and/or another suitable esc? Looking for options before spending $250-450...
Sep 17, 2019, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
Doing a search of this thread on HW esc's, as I'm having issues with my Castle160/Xpwr60 combo--found this quote. Not too much newer on HW compatibility with Xpwr motors. Has anyone tried the HW200 with the Xpwr60, and/or another suitable esc? Looking for options before spending $250-450...
I've not heard of anyone having a problem with the Xpwr60 with the Castle HV160 as long as they use the following firmware and programming:

Firmware version 4.22
PWM setting at 12
Throttle response Med 5
Disabled current limit
Motor start power Med 59
Motor Timing Normal 5

But the HW 200A Platinum Pro V4.0 and V4.1 seem to work fine with the Xpwr60 too, and here are Rob's seetings with the version 4.1.

Other than that, I've not heard of any other controller working as well.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:13 PM
And thanks, all, for the positive comments about the StinGR performance. I truly can't wait to hear Olivier's thoughts once the Falcon 28x13 finally arrives. I'm hoping the smoother power with higher pitch and lower load develops very similar power on fewer Amps. Mejzlik is a great prop and bites quickly at all plane attitudes, but the load is considerable in comparison. We'll know more soon.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:42 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Quote:
Which kind of issue? I don't own a Xpwr but I doubt that you'll need another ESC. Could you post your settings on the ESC?
Sep 17, 2019, 07:21 PM
indywestrc & viehercfliers
Quote:
My favorite ESC right now is the Esprit Elite 165hv ESC. I've been able to get the Castle 160hv, Hobbywing 200, Scorpion Tribunus 130 and Esprit Elite to work with the XPWR60. I've settled on the Hobbywing 200a and Esprit Elite as my favorites.
I'm running the Esprit Elite 165HV on my 91 Laser and 95 Extra and the Hobbywing on my 120 Bushmaster.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn
Which kind of issue? I don't own a Xpwr but I doubt that you'll need another ESC. Could you post your settings on the ESC?
I am on 4.22 firmware; honestly not sure on the rest of the settings, but I'm sure I went with the recommended settings. I had around 60 flights on the set up, with no real issues. The last few flights, I had an issue where, when plugging the 2nd battery in on my series connector, it didn't initialize. Unplugging and starting over "fixed" it, it seemed. On the last attempt 2 weeks ago, it didn't initialize, so I unplugged and when I went to plug in again, it arced like a dead short, melting the connector a bit.

Tonite, I pulled the cowl and did find 2 of the 3 motor wires were had slid partway apart, not making good connection. No other visible issues, but the motor wouldn't turn freely--acted like it was in a brake mode. Tried connecting again with motor connected--same arc/short spark--yowza! Tried one last time, with esc out and disconnected from motor--same arc/short. Can't hook to CastleLink without main power connected, so I don't know if it would tell me anything or not. Does Castle repair esc's? Not sure where I'm going next with this thing...
Sep 17, 2019, 10:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Yes, or they make you a deal on a new one.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Sep 18, 2019, 02:19 AM
I had some more flights with my Skywing Edge 105V2. I have to correct some first impressions. This time I also covered more air and space. And I realized that I wish for more pitch. The Mejzlik is really good for 3D. But for me its not fast enough. This is a really interesting experience for me as I completely lost interest in a Falcon 30x12 Setup. I hope the 28x14 arrives soon.

I also had another first flight yesterday. A green Skywing Edge 55"pp". I have to exercise things I would never exercise with the 105 like rolling direction changes flying towards me. Or fast snaps towards me close to me. I dont like Sims, I prefer to destroy cheap planes ;-)

Quick Reply