Aug 21, 2019, 11:56 AM
Battery Puffer
Once your in the air, do you ever go to 0 throttle? I think you should try to go to full throttle from an idle or maybe 1/4 throttle. If that works, I think your esc will be fine. Out runners are lugs to get going and harder on any esc. Even at take off, you get rolling first before you go full throttle.
Just a thought.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 12:09 PM
Yes, I already tried that.

On 22 degrees it worked nearly all the time, but one time it lost the commutation.

I hope switching to 25 degrees will solve this issue.

When I crashed with the 18 degrees timing setting, I increased throttle from 0 pretty quickly and it lost commutation and didn't want to restart.
Aug 21, 2019, 01:23 PM
PapaTrey
Do you use an idle up? I use a throttle to throttle mix so that the prop is turning slowly even when at idle. I know Chris Henson recommended that for the AirBoss ESCs.
Aug 21, 2019, 01:47 PM
No!

Just a normal setup without any mixes.

Until now it worked for me.

Your mix seem to imitate a gasser motor, right?
Aug 21, 2019, 02:03 PM
PapaTrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloBau
No!

Just a normal setup without any mixes.

Until now it worked for me.

Your mix seem to imitate a gasser motor, right?
That and it keeps the ESC and motor connected. At least that's my understanding. That way when you do throttle up, the ESC and motor do not have to sync up.

I put it on a switch then when I'm ready to fly I "idle up." The prop doesn't even turn enough to cause the plane to move on a paved runway.
Aug 21, 2019, 02:13 PM
indywestrc & viehercfliers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaTrey
That and it keeps the ESC and motor connected. At least that's my understanding. That way when you do throttle up, the ESC and motor do not have to sync up.

I put it on a switch then when I'm ready to fly I "idle up." The prop doesn't even turn enough to cause the plane to move on a paved runway.
Same thing I do, my planes almost move on pavement at idle up.
Aug 21, 2019, 07:26 PM
I set my idle switch to keep the prop running when my flight is over since I have noticed the lower voltage will create a zero RPM otherwise.

We're on a laser leveled turf runway so I usually don't have to worry about the plane creeping away on me with the switch on.
Aug 21, 2019, 11:18 PM
I am not a robot
Hey Jim, I just stumbled across this stuff. Thought I'd post it here just so people would know it does exist. Hobbywing sells a Wifi module that allows you to connect to and adjust HW stuff.
This statement is in the sales ad. "PLATINUM series of aircraft ESCs. Apps is available for iPhone & Android platforms."
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=18226123524

Interesting, so that got me searching a little more. While I could not find a video explaining how it works for fixed wing, I was able to find one fairly recent for RC Cars.
ESC TUNING, DRIVE FREQUENCY TIPS || Hobbywing Wifi Module (5 min 51 sec)

So now we need one of the real smart guys (you included) to try this out and teach the rest of us how to use it. I talked to SupaTim and he's the one who clued me into it. But I just couldn't keep asking him questions, because I knew he's only been home a short time and his personal swamp is way full of 'gators for the moment.

This might be the real key to getting the HW 130 opto to work well with the Xpwr motors?

Gonna go fly my little 60" Yak tomorrow...that'll be fun!

Oh crap...I just remembered, I don't have a smart phone, iPhone or Android. Wonder if it would work with my iPod?
Aug 21, 2019, 11:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Do you have an iPad? If not, you can pick up a used one fairly inexpensively.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Aug 21, 2019, 11:38 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Do you have an iPad? If not, you can pick up a used one fairly inexpensively.

SteveT.
No, but I do have a iPod, which is the same size a iPhone 6. I think it'll do the job, but like 3D, I'm not so good with all that app and wifi stuff.
Aug 21, 2019, 11:42 PM
I know the Tribunus II has an app for both the iOS and Android browsers and I'm pretty sure Frank is using it on his 300A in the 110" Yak 54.
Aug 22, 2019, 12:00 AM
I am not a robot
Well, I find the battery low volts on my iPod, so I'll have to charge it tonight and maybe have a looks see tomorrow. I just wondered how much $ they get for that app. Heck, I haven't signed in in so long, first I'll have to go through the password recovery to even sign in to the Apple store.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:33 AM
I burned two HW130 V4 on a GA4000-180KV (21x10) when I tried a timing over 21 Degrees, and another one on a NEU/Leomotion 8019-150 on 14S, 25x12 out of no reason after many flights- but that doesnt makes me a Hobbywing Expert :-), but I might have the official record burning Hobbywing 130HV. I also burned 3x Hobbywing 120 HV Platinum V1 (they burn immediately when the prop touches the ground).

I think the HW130 V4 needs extra capacitors. And - same topic - I think the HW130 is allergic if the cables are too long. I still got two HW130 V4, as I've got replacements (!). They really work perfectly well with motrolfly motors. But I would not recommend the HW130HV for 28 Pole motors.
Last edited by Leelander; Aug 22, 2019 at 04:46 AM.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelander
I burned two HW130 V4 on a GA4000-180KV (21x10) when I tried a timing over 21 Degrees
Do you have any idea, why it burned up?
Aug 22, 2019, 06:48 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelander
I burned two HW130 V4 on a GA4000-180KV (21x10) when I tried a timing over 21 Degrees, and another one on a NEU/Leomotion 8019-150 on 14S, 25x12 out of no reason after many flights- but that doesnt makes me a Hobbywing Expert :-), but I might have the official record burning Hobbywing 130HV. I also burned 3x Hobbywing 120 HV Platinum V1 (they burn immediately when the prop touches the ground).

I think the HW130 V4 needs extra capacitors. And - same topic - I think the HW130 is allergic if the cables are too long. I still got two HW130 V4, as I've got replacements (!). They really work perfectly well with motrolfly motors. But I would not recommend the HW130HV for 28 Pole motors.
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to get in touch with Extreme Flight today. Most likely I'll order a new CC 120 opto. I will not be flying the HW 130 opto. The Extra V3 means too much to me to risk it on a shaky ESC. Even though it runs now (still not perfectly) I still don't trust it. And BTW I have head nothing from HW in over 48 hours. It worthless to try contacting them by phone, and I don't believe I'll hear from them again by email. Not that it would make much difference at this point.

Interestingly though, HW North America shows a Flyfun 130 opto V5 on their website ( 130A-HV OPTO -v5 ) that looks interesting. But I can't get the website to pull up the manual for that one. And I can't find another source for it on the net. Maybe they've given up on those. Hard to say with their lack of good communication. https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll.../flyfun-series

Thanks again for all the help from all you guys,

Bert

Quick Reply