Thread Tools
Feb 01, 2017, 03:52 PM
Registered User
Aeroplayin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672
Does the Xpwr T3520 motor work well with a Talon 90 or Mezon 90?
I know this question has been sitting here unanswered for a while now, and probably because not many guys here matched up the T3520 with either of these controllers. I would guess that the 20% discount combo with the 80A Airboss is the main reason. That's quite a deal on a setup we know works.

I'm not sure if you have the controllers and you're thinking about buying the motor, or the other way around. The only experience I can share is that my 90 Mezon is strong on 14 and 28 pole motors, and I still have it in my 3DHS 74 Edge with the Hacker A60-7S on 12S with the 20x8 PJN. That's the setup I had in the plane since day-1 and day-1 was back in September 2013. One of the top three planes I've owned and gobs of power.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2017, 04:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
One of the top three planes I've owned and gobs of power.
What are the other two planes you consider as part of the top 3?
Feb 01, 2017, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Aeroplayin's Avatar
As far as my top three ARFs -- easily the 60" Edge EXP and the 78" Extra 300 would be the other two. Putting them in some order would be difficult and I can't do that because the different sizes means convenience and transportation come into play.

You also have to remember that the the 78" Extra 300 is much bigger (76" fuse) than the 74 Edge (68" fuse), unlike the 74" Edge EXP (74" fuse).
Feb 01, 2017, 05:50 PM
John
jk6672's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
I know this question has been sitting here unanswered for a while now, and probably because not many guys here matched up the T3520 with either of these controllers. I would guess that the 20% discount combo with the 80A Airboss is the main reason. That's quite a deal on a setup we know works.

I'm not sure if you have the controllers and you're thinking about buying the motor, or the other way around. The only experience I can share is that my 90 Mezon is strong on 14 and 28 pole motors, and I still have it in my 3DHS 74 Edge with the Hacker A60-7S on 12S with the 20x8 PJN. That's the setup I had in the plane since day-1 and day-1 was back in September 2013. One of the top three planes I've owned and gobs of power.
I have no problem buying the combo, but since I have an extra Talon and Mezon I thought I'd throw The question out there. I know for a fact the 40cc doesn't work with Mezon, but wasn't sure about this little gem of a motor.
Last edited by jk6672; Feb 01, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Feb 01, 2017, 07:15 PM
Registered User
Aeroplayin's Avatar
Okay, so you've tried the Mezon 90 with the Xpwr T3520 and you can report that you found them not to work together. I think that's important info for this thread, so thanks for that.

Do we know the pole count on the T3520? I know the Mezon 90 has a setting for pole count so the next thing I would think about is if you have it right. I mentioned a few time here that the 24 stator poles EF was report was really 28 poles, and of course would be the correct number to program on ESCs that have the capacity.
Feb 01, 2017, 08:02 PM
John
jk6672's Avatar
I think you misunderstood me. I have a spare Talon and Mezon. I don't have theT3520 motor, but interested in getting it when the Pantera comes out.
Feb 01, 2017, 08:27 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672
I think you misunderstood me. I have a spare Talon and Mezon. I don't have theT3520 motor, but interested in getting it when the Pantera comes out.
I just got a Talon 90 to install in the 2nd Pantera I am building. Busy on another project this week but should get to it next week and will let you know my results.
Feb 01, 2017, 10:16 PM
out to have fun
dbishw92's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
I just got a Talon 90 to install in the 2nd Pantera I am building. Busy on another project this week but should get to it next week and will let you know my results.
I would like to know what you find out I have a Talon 90 and 120 waiting for a new project.
Feb 01, 2017, 10:20 PM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need
NashVegas's Avatar
John and Jim.....last count I have from this thread was 12 Mezon ESC deaths. Correct? 4 of those were here in Nashville and one in Arkansas. I know those were all Mezon 130 and Mezon 135's. Both with internal BEC and Opto. Are the Mezon 90's more stable?
Feb 01, 2017, 10:51 PM
John
jk6672's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas
John and Jim.....last count I have from this thread was 12 Mezon ESC deaths. Correct? 4 of those were here in Nashville and one in Arkansas. I know those were all Mezon 130 and Mezon 135's. Both with internal BEC and Opto. Are the Mezon 90's more stable?

I have a Mezon 90 in my 74 Edge and a Mezon 90lite in the 75 Extra, both spinning 4330-216's, using the internal BEC, and REVO 3700 435's with no problems to date. We all know what happened to the Mezon 135 and CC120

I'll be ordering a batch of Pulse packs on my next round I'm done with the 435's when they're no longer serviceable, they made my summer depressing. I'm still charging the 3700 to 435, but the 5000 to 420
Feb 01, 2017, 10:59 PM
Registered User
Aeroplayin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672
I think you misunderstood me. I have a spare Talon and Mezon. I don't have theT3520 motor, but interested in getting it when the Pantera comes out.
Yeah, I meant to say Xpwr40, but I'd still like to know the pole count of the T3520.

The Xpwr40 is a 28 pole so do you remember if you --or whoever tried it with the Mezon -- programmed the 90 Mezon for 28 poles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas
John and Jim.....last count I have from this thread was 12 Mezon ESC deaths. Correct? 4 of those were here in Nashville and one in Arkansas. I know those were all Mezon 130 and Mezon 135's. Both with internal BEC and Opto. Are the Mezon 90's more stable?
My 90A has been a rock for three and a half years, and although I fly more XA with the 74 Edge with the 28 pole A60-7S, the five or six times Tom’s flown it, he did beat the crap out of it, as you can see from the two or three videos I posted.

I have no clue why the 130 and 135 have not been up to it. I first thought the common thread was the internal BEC until the opto failed too. Then I thought it was the HV batteries that were being used with most of the failure reports. The only thing left is that I’ve never used anything other than the 160A on 5000-5500 Watt setups, and the reason is that although 120A is normal on nominal voltage (44.4v), the potential RPM increase at something like 48v is easily 137A.

I always like a little head room because the initial torque-speed issues could spike the current beyond this level too when jamming the throttle in a high acceleration setting. Think of it this way -- 4.15 volts per cell would mean 147A at an 85% Kv efficiency on a 180Kv motor even without torque-speed spikes. It’s 174A on an efficient 190Kv motor.
Last edited by Aeroplayin; Feb 02, 2017 at 12:44 PM.
Feb 02, 2017, 12:49 PM
Registered User
Aeroplayin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
Yeah, I meant to say Xpwr40, but I'd still like to know the pole count of the T3520.

The Xpwr40 is a 28 pole so do you remember if you -- or whoever tried it with the Mezon -- programmed the 90 Mezon for 28 poles?
I changed this as to not still seem 'confused'.

Since you mentioned that you know for sure about this, I was guess you read it here or know of someone who tried it. I see you're running the DM4330 in two planes so maybe you heard or read this, so the question is for anyone with first-person details.

I was able to get the 90 to work really well with the 28 pole Hacker once I changed it from 14 pole to 28 and lowered the acceleration as far as it would go, which is 0.5.
Feb 02, 2017, 01:47 PM
John
jk6672's Avatar
The original ESC I used with the Xpwr 40 was the Mezon 135 and I did change the pole settings.
Feb 03, 2017, 01:33 AM
Registered User
I just use Hobbywing Platinum, V3 and V4 and it worked on every mulipole motor so far. For 6S and u0 Planes the 100 LV V3 is really good too, I also have the 80V4 LV in one plane, just bought a second one. I stopped buying other brands. BTW: on 14S the HW130HV V4 could be a nice Esc on 91-92 Planes with 150-160kv motors. I might try that once.
Feb 03, 2017, 07:49 AM
Registered User
Ohio AV8TOR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelander
I just use Hobbywing Platinum, V3 and V4 and it worked on every mulipole motor so far. For 6S and u0 Planes the 100 LV V3 is really good too, I also have the 80V4 LV in one plane, just bought a second one. I stopped buying other brands. BTW: on 14S the HW130HV V4 could be a nice Esc on 91-92 Planes with 150-160kv motors. I might try that once.
Lee what program changes did you set to?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question RC kits for experimenting with flight control systems SubZer0 DIY Electronics 15 Feb 25, 2015 04:15 PM
Wanted left wing for extreme flight yellow and black 74 yak hondaboy92hatch Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 29, 2011 10:18 AM
Discussion Extreme power systems & Royal Evo 12 rbehrends Radios 5 Oct 11, 2007 05:55 PM
Discussion Battery for Logo 10 - Thunder Power "eXtreme" 5S 4600 or Flight Power 5S 3700? WeatherB Electric Heli Talk 6 Jan 25, 2007 11:29 PM