Nov 04, 2011, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Plane Friendly Park around Tampa (Brandon) FL

New member to the forum. Hello everybody.

I have decided to get a joint Christmas present for me and my 12 year old son and have narrowed it down to the Super Cub and Champ. I've come up with pro's and cons for both but the one factor I really don't know about is how much space would I need for either plane? Along the same lines, any park flyers in the Brandon area know of plane friendly parks that are of sufficient size?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2011, 11:33 AM
Or current resident
We found out model flying is banned in all Hillsborough County parks.
A friend inquired to the sheriffs office and they contacted the county. There really is an ordnance banning it like we're criminals. If you're in Brandon the TRAC club is nearby, stop in and introduce yourself.
Glenn
Nov 04, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
This country is way too bureaucratic. If I want to fly a lightweight, slow electric RC plane I have to spend $300-$400 for dues and insurance and still deal with politics and over-regulation at a flying club. I guess it's helicopters or something else for me and my son then.
Nov 04, 2011, 03:11 PM
Or current resident
Find a church or school that's still open. Some middle schools leave the gate open. What about the Brandon racket club where they used to launch the hot air baloons, can you get in there?
I'm in the same boat buddy. I drive all the way over to Largo to fly and I live in Carrolwood. Used to fly at a middle school over in Seminole but they closed it after some knuckleheads were flying nitro heli's there.
I'm thinking about joining TRAC, it's a little closer to home and I have been treated well by the guys there on the few occasions I've visited.

Glenn
Nov 05, 2011, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
I was thinking along those lines. Thanks for the advice Glenn.

Back to my other original question--How much space do you need for the Super Cub and how much for the Champ?
Nov 05, 2011, 02:21 PM
Or current resident
Not familiar with either of those models but I would think a football field size area would be enough space.
Check out Google maps and search around your area.
A quick search and I found this, The end of ringmore ct looks perfect.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...h&z=17&vpsrc=6

Glenn
Nov 06, 2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchawk
This country is way too bureaucratic. If I want to fly a lightweight, slow electric RC plane I have to spend $300-$400 for dues and insurance and still deal with politics and over-regulation at a flying club. I guess it's helicopters or something else for me and my son then.
Don't worry about it. Go fly your plane at the park and have fun
Nov 07, 2011, 07:10 AM
Or current resident
I say go have fun too. Just be aware that the cops might show up and run you off. I sometimes fly micro models at a small park near me only when there is nobody else around.

I think the whole crackdown on model flying occurred after this incident.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1232145
Not sure of the outcome but I would bet somebody got sued and ordinances were passed.
Glenn
Nov 07, 2011, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
I say go have fun too. Just be aware that the cops might show up and run you off. I sometimes fly micro models at a small park near me only when there is nobody else around.

I think the whole crackdown on model flying occurred after this incident.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1232145
Not sure of the outcome but I would bet somebody got sued and ordinances were passed.
Glenn
Bad accident, I hope the girl healed nicely.

I think RC is unfairly viewed as being taboo by most people so any accidents are deemed unacceptable; compared to accidents from other (mainstream) sports which are accepted as being unavoidable.

I'm sure if I checked I'd discover that most of the places I fly have ordinances, but I'd rather not know about it because I don't want to feel like a criminal while flying my plane. The day may come when a cop shows up and asks me to leave, but it hasn't happened yet and probably won't because I fly responsibly and I doubt anyone will ever complain. When/if it does, at least I got a lot of flights in.

Cheers,
James
Last edited by lstuart; Dec 01, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Nov 07, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how it goes come Christmas.
Nov 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
We found a really big open place to fly. It's on a dead end road to a middle school and the properly is open (no fences), mowed, and owned by a development company that will eventually build apartment complexes on the site. It's the area inside the road on the map.

http://g.co/maps/5b9h7

We convinced Santa to bring us the Super Cub early and we have it set up and ready for the maiden flight tomorrow morning when the forecast calls for less wind.
Nov 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
Internet MMA Champion
Come on down to Sarasota. The LHS owner, myself, and a few friends go out every chance we get. We fly right off of exit 207 on I-75.

Come down this Saturday or Sunday morning. We usually make it a few hour deal!
Nov 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
I gave my grandson a Champ for his birthday and then my son bought one himself. We have flown that plane and my SkySurfer at the Safety Harbor Middle School. It has a big field with a running track for takeoffs and landings.

There is also a place in Dunedin next to the Art Center on Michigan Blvd. where a lot of guys fly their Electric planes most Saturday and Sundays.

Good luck with your Super Cub.

Quick Reply