Apr 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
I don't see any relation to the video issues and flying maneuvers so I don't think you have a loose connection somewhere on the BIX..

I know you had to replace some of the electronics after the crash. What changes did you make and what equipment did you keep?

The problem could be faulty electronics or cable connection that drops your signal strength. Or a mismatch between old and new electronics. Too many places to fail to easily id the root cause of the interference.
It has nothing to do with the plane. Its the output power of the 2.4ghz and a badly filtered 1.3ghz receiver getting interference. Need a better filtered receiver
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc
I was getting interference with my turnigy 9X with stock flysky module, rotating radio and moving closer/away changed interference. When I put the vrx about 4m away from me and groundstation, me and radio, it went away.
Now I use frsky RC gear with my 9X, and no interference.
Yeah I am just going to set my vRX up on a tripod and separate it as far as I can and try to get it about 10 feet in the air, think I will be fine then :P.

I know it's not a plane issue, it's just a high powered RF output too close to a not so properly grounded RX antenna.

Every time I go out to FPV my gear gets stranger and more complicated looking, I wonder what people think when they see me staring into a box on a tripod and fiddling with a remote control that looks like mine :P.
Apr 14, 2012, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801
It has nothing to do with the plane. Its the output power of the 2.4ghz and a badly filtered 1.3ghz receiver getting interference. Need a better filtered receiver
Since NorCalMatCat's plane had recently crashed I wanted to make sure he eliminated any possible issue with its electronics first.

Not ever seeing his FPV setup I wasn't sure what was going on but I knew it was interference of some kind or another.

Your diagnosis is probably real close to the root cause. Thanks for posting.
Apr 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
All electronics survived the crash fine, actually after the crash I think my video quality is BETTER :P, just my recording that looks so crappy... all the sync issues are because of the EZCap, my live display however stays crisp and clean, though today I did have the horizontal bands of interference, though it was still easily viewable unless I got too close to my RX antenna.
Apr 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
What kind of radio is that??
Apr 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax
What kind of radio is that??
Walkera Devo 8
Apr 15, 2012, 01:15 AM
Ok .. I stripped everything out tonight and started rebuilding the Sky Surfer... ESC is already on top... Pictures soon.
Apr 15, 2012, 03:37 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat
All electronics survived the crash fine, actually after the crash I think my video quality is BETTER :P, just my recording that looks so crappy... all the sync issues are because of the EZCap, my live display however stays crisp and clean, though today I did have the horizontal bands of interference, though it was still easily viewable unless I got too close to my RX antenna.
Am I seeing this correct? You have a 'booster' (amplifier) to the RC 2.4 TX?
If this is so then you would need to somehow ground out the VRX. A copper stake in the ground with copper wire to the ground of the VRX. Works better if the earth is wet/damp. P. around the stake.
Apr 15, 2012, 03:40 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa
Am I seeing this correct? You have a 'booster' (amplifier) to the RC 2.4 TX?
If this is so then you would need to somehow ground out the VRX. A copper stake in the ground with copper wire to the ground of the VRX. Works better if the earth is wet/damp. P. around the stake.
This is a bit over my head, but can you explain why this works, or provide links etc..
I am interested
Apr 15, 2012, 05:01 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
This is a bit over my head, but can you explain why this works, or provide links etc..
I am interested
In electrical engineering, ground or earth is the reference point in an electrical circuit from which other voltages are measured, or is a common return path for electric current, or a direct physical connection to the Earth.

A typical earthing electrode (left) at a home in Australia. Fig. 1. Note the green and yellow marked earth wire.
Electrical circuits may be connected to ground (earth) for several reasons. In mains powered equipment, exposed metal parts are connected to ground to prevent contact with a dangerous voltage if electrical insulation fails. Connections to ground limit the build-up of static electricity when handling flammable products or when repairing electronic devices. In some telegraph and power transmission circuits, the earth itself can be used as one conductor of the circuit, saving the cost of installing a separate return conductor.
For measurement purposes, the Earth serves as a (reasonably) constant potential reference against which other potentials can be measured. An electrical ground system should have an appropriate current-carrying capability to serve as an adequate zero-voltage reference level. In electronic circuit theory, a "ground" is usually idealized as an infinite source or sink for charge, which can absorb an unlimited amount of current without changing its potential. Where a real ground connection has a significant resistance, the approximation of zero potential is no longer valid. Stray voltages or earth potential rise effects will occur, which may create noise in signals or if large enough will produce an electric shock hazard.
The use of the term ground (or earth) is so common in electrical and electronics applications that circuits in portable electronic devices such as cell phones and media players as well as circuits in vehicles such as ships, aircraft, and spacecraft may be spoken of as having a "ground" connection without any actual connection to the Earth. This is usually a large conductor attached to one side of the power supply (such as the "ground plane" on a printed circuit board) which serves as the common return path for current from many different components in the circuit.
Well you did ask..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity)
Apr 15, 2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
I am interested
That is a true ground, how ground gets its name I was already planning to do exactly that.
Apr 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
In electrical engineering, ground or earth is the reference point in an electrical circuit from which other voltages are measured, or is a common return path for electric current, or a direct physical connection to the Earth.

A typical earthing electrode (left) at a home in Australia. Fig. 1. Note the green and yellow marked earth wire.
Electrical circuits may be connected to ground (earth) for several reasons. In mains powered equipment, exposed metal parts are connected to ground to prevent contact with a dangerous voltage if electrical insulation fails. Connections to ground limit the build-up of static electricity when handling flammable products or when repairing electronic devices. In some telegraph and power transmission circuits, the earth itself can be used as one conductor of the circuit, saving the cost of installing a separate return conductor.
For measurement purposes, the Earth serves as a (reasonably) constant potential reference against which other potentials can be measured. An electrical ground system should have an appropriate current-carrying capability to serve as an adequate zero-voltage reference level. In electronic circuit theory, a "ground" is usually idealized as an infinite source or sink for charge, which can absorb an unlimited amount of current without changing its potential. Where a real ground connection has a significant resistance, the approximation of zero potential is no longer valid. Stray voltages or earth potential rise effects will occur, which may create noise in signals or if large enough will produce an electric shock hazard.
The use of the term ground (or earth) is so common in electrical and electronics applications that circuits in portable electronic devices such as cell phones and media players as well as circuits in vehicles such as ships, aircraft, and spacecraft may be spoken of as having a "ground" connection without any actual connection to the Earth. This is usually a large conductor attached to one side of the power supply (such as the "ground plane" on a printed circuit board) which serves as the common return path for current from many different components in the circuit.
Well you did ask..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity)
Flypoppa

Great job of explaining electrical circuit grounding.

Another need for grounding is for the shielding in communication cables. This is the woven metal wire that is used in coax cabling which is around the signal wire. The shield protects the signal wires from interference by collecting any RF or magnetic fields and then "drains" it to the end that is grounded. If neither side of the shield is grounded then an electrical charge from the RF or magnetic fields builds up in the shield which will affect the signal wire. If both sides of the shield are grounded then you could introduce a path between two different voltage potentials which again can cause issues with the signal wire.

Basically "Ground is your friend"
Apr 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Ok I just got done breaking my own personal records today, 1km out and almost 1200 feet up :P

Today I had my vRX mounted on a second tripod a few feet from the GS, however it still added a little interference and messed with my sync a bit. I can't wait to get better GS equipment!

Is it enough to just ground the casing of the vRX or should I do ground from somewhere else?
Apr 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat
Ok I just got done breaking my own personal records today, 1km out and almost 1200 feet up :P

Today I had my vRX mounted on a second tripod a few feet from the GS, however it still added a little interference and messed with my sync a bit. I can't wait to get better GS equipment!

Is it enough to just ground the casing of the vRX or should I do ground from somewhere else?
Nice one. What I do for an earth grounding, is a length of 15mm coper pipe hammered to a point at one end, and pushed into the soil. Copper wire soldered to pipe, with a crock clip on other end of wire. This is clipped to the ariel plug that is screwed into the VRX.
Apr 15, 2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Nice one. What I do for an earth grounding, is a length of 15mm coper pipe hammered to a point at one end, and pushed into the soil. Copper wire soldered to pipe, with a crock clip on other end of wire. This is clipped to the ariel plug that is screwed into the VRX.
So basically the base of the antenna on the SMA plug?

Quick Reply