New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:15 AM
Maddmax is offline
Find More Posts by Maddmax
Registered User
The stock servos are crap and can easily be popped out by prying it gently out with a screwdriver.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:34 AM
Wiciman is offline
Find More Posts by Wiciman
Registered User
Thanx. A mild force with the screwdriver will be tried... For the replacements, what do you suggest? HXT900 have gotten mixed reviews, a lot of DOA cases according to the reviews on HK site... Alternatives with a better price/quality ratio?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:26 AM
Maddmax is offline
Find More Posts by Maddmax
Registered User
I use the HXT900s myself. They are reasonably cheap and they'll last a while. Although they do tend to strip the gears internally rather quickly after hard crashes. I usually keep a bunch on hand. I am planning to switch to metal gear servos shortly but have not researched it yet.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:11 AM
DragonFly711 is offline
Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Will try to fly anything.
DragonFly711's Avatar
For some reasonably priced metal geared servos you might look at trying either the Tower Pro MG 90's or the Hextronik MG-14's.

I've ran both types for years on 450 helis and they are tough as nails and have never stripped a gear on either type and have had multiple crashes that would have torn regular servos to pieces. Both are priced under $10 each and can be found at HobbyKing or other sites that sell servos.

I'm fixing to buy another Bixler and put the Hextronik metal geared servos off one of my old helis onto it. I'm using the HXT900's right now but as mentioned, they have a tendency to strip gears on hard landings. Fortunately, I haven't had any accidents as of yet.

Donnie
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
Wiciman is offline
Find More Posts by Wiciman
Registered User
Thanx, are these metal gear servos as easy to install as the non-metal ones and will they co-operate well with my other equipment (stock)? I'd rather not have to buy additional gear right now (plane brand new)...

Here is the prior-to-crash experience!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aRD...eature=mh_lolz
Last edited by Wiciman; Jul 07, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
Grazer is offline
Find More Posts by Grazer
Team Lumenier Pilot
Grazer's Avatar
Flew my Bixler FPV today. First attempt at FPV on any plane. It was awesome and I am totally hooked.

1st flight - I flew LOS, my buddy wore the Fatsharks and monitored range / tested gear.
2nd flight - my buddy flew LOS and I wore Fatsharks to get accustomed to angle of view etc
3rd flight - I flew FPV, with my buddy on stand-by and tracking LOS in case of trouble.

Wow! It was a real thrill and I can't wait to go again. My flying mates were surprised at range with basic antenna setup (as was I) and the GoPro is the perfect camera for it too.

Very happy with the kit I bought from Readymade RC.

Next items:

OSD with GPS - I think stick with the Immersion EZ OSD.

Duo Diversity / Patch antennas / antenna tracker pan / tilt
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:30 AM
ToxicToast is offline
Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Phlathead
ToxicToast's Avatar
Quick edit of last night's sunset FPV flight.

FPV Friday Night fun (3 min 2 sec)


808 #16, 1.280 RHCP, SkySurfer with custom FPV pod.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:13 PM
eckace1 is offline
Find More Posts by eckace1
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Flew my Bixler FPV today. First attempt at FPV on any plane. It was awesome and I am totally hooked.

1st flight - I flew LOS, my buddy wore the Fatsharks and monitored range / tested gear.
2nd flight - my buddy flew LOS and I wore Fatsharks to get accustomed to angle of view etc
3rd flight - I flew FPV, with my buddy on stand-by and tracking LOS in case of trouble.

Wow! It was a real thrill and I can't wait to go again. My flying mates were surprised at range with basic antenna setup (as was I) and the GoPro is the perfect camera for it too.

Very happy with the kit I bought from Readymade RC.

Next items:

OSD with GPS - I think stick with the Immersion EZ OSD.

Duo Diversity / Patch antennas / antenna tracker pan / tilt
What kit did you purchase as i would love to try.
I'm thinking 5.8 would be good for me as distance isn't real important at this point.
My friend and I have gopros and hk wing cams but would love to see a laymans setup without all the Nasa type talk.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
DragonFly711 is offline
Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Will try to fly anything.
DragonFly711's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiciman View Post
Thanx, are these metal gear servos as easy to install as the non-metal ones and will they co-operate well with my other equipment (stock)? I'd rather not have to buy additional gear right now (plane brand new)...

Here is the prior-to-crash experience!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aRD...eature=mh_lolz
The TowerPro MG90's and Hextronik MG -14's are the same size as the HXT 900's. They come with their own servo horns and should be a straight swap.

Donnie
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:34 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar

Flight Stabalizer


Has anyone heard of either of these two type of control stabilization hardware systems?

JCX-M6 Flight Controller

Eagle Hobby A3 Micro Flight Controller

They are both inexpensive control boards (about $35 to $40 ea) that help keep your RC plane in level flight.

Probably a Chinese knockoff of the Eagle Tree but I wanted some feedback from anyone that heard about them. Thanks
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
idletime is offline
Find More Posts by idletime
Registered User
idletime's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Has anyone heard of either of these two type of control stabilization hardware systems?

JCX-M6 Flight Controller

Eagle Hobby A3 Micro Flight Controller

They are both inexpensive control boards (about $35 to $40 ea) that help keep your RC plane in level flight.

Probably a Chinese knockoff of the Eagle Tree but I wanted some feedback from anyone that heard about them. Thanks
Can't tell you much other that is only $18 at HobbyKing
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:29 PM
Grazer is offline
Find More Posts by Grazer
Team Lumenier Pilot
Grazer's Avatar
Quote:
What kit did you purchase as i would love to try.
I'm thinking 5.8 would be good for me as distance isn't real important at this point.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=781

This Kit here, minus camera and got the GoPro cable instead as I have two GoPros and they are awesome for this application.

Also I have a FY30A which I use in stabilisation mode once at desired altitude.

Using the Clover and Sku Plannar antennas that came in this kit.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Can't tell you much other that is only $18 at HobbyKing
Yep. It is the same piece of hardware.

Even with the shipping costs it would be cheaper at HK than eBay with free shipping.

I still don't know if it is even worth getting.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:49 AM
Wiciman is offline
Find More Posts by Wiciman
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly711 View Post
The TowerPro MG90's and Hextronik MG -14's are the same size as the HXT 900's. They come with their own servo horns and should be a straight swap.

Donnie
That is great news. Thanks a bunch! /Wiciman
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:42 AM
baconflyer is offline
Find More Posts by baconflyer
cheapskate extroardinairé
subscribed


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sky Surfer or HK Bixler??? fpsazerbaijan Electric Plane Talk 11 Mar 17, 2012 06:43 AM
Sold 1800kv Motor/prop for Sky Surfer / Bixler / Easy Star tdab Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 1 Nov 01, 2011 05:46 PM
Sold Bixler Sky Surfer Hawk Sky ARF or complete kit porcia83 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 14, 2011 10:24 AM
Discussion Review of my Sky Surfer AKA Bixler , Flew Today for the first time. dllhg Electric Plane Talk 19 Aug 10, 2011 11:41 AM
Discussion Propeller recommendations Bixler/ sky surfer sean11 Power Systems 3 Jun 25, 2011 07:08 AM