View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Apr 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
Foam Av8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
FYI,
We now have an account with Fedex. So we will see.

Ken
that is good news
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Fred, I think you've hit on a Good Idea (tm) for forming those wings. The Longhorn/Lunatic wings are only 490 by 290, so they'll fit into a typical home oven chamber no problem.

Now the hard part. How in the heck do I create the form?!? And it would have to be a two-part affair; I can't imagine any other way to make the part forming consistent. Oy.
Apr 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
Addicted to building...
Still got the 'form' in the active gray matter file. Something will turn up or come to mind soon I'm sure. The mind never rests!

Fred
Apr 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
treefinder
Should be relatively easy to make the male form from wood with simple hand tools. Make the size so that the wing shape depends on where you put the foam (single form instead of two mirror images). You will need to use some flexible wrap to hold foam to form, like ace bandage.
Apr 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
Addicted to building...
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Should be relatively easy to make the male form from wood with simple hand tools. Make the size so that the wing shape depends on where you put the foam (single form instead of two mirror images). You will need to use some flexible wrap to hold foam to form, like ace bandage.
Good idea except I would probably post form a liteply sheet soaked in water over the master and let it dry because ace bandages leave a weave pattern in baked foam. Then the ace bandage could be used to hold the ply plate over the foam and master.

Fred
Apr 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Wouldn't anything with elastic or whatever lose its springiness being subjected to the kind of heat required for forming? It's bad enough that the cost of forming wings would then soar into the stratosphere, but what happens when the elastic wrap relaxes during the heat forming process? Yik!
Apr 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
treefinder
Doesn't seem to, Ken does it with some of his forming. I'm sure we could come up with some other material to hold the shape.
Apr 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
Foam Av8r
one of the best tools for rolling foam is a 1" dowel, a que stick for taper chored leading edges and one of those triangle blocks of cushion foam for using to prop your legs up in bed.
or i sometimes roll parts on my belly with the dowel...
Hey don't laugh it works!

the beauty about this MPF is you don't even have to tape the foam to roll it if it is not a sharp bend.
Apr 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
treefinder
That gives me an idea (not the rolling on your belly!) if one rolled the foam once with the dowel, or on a bendfoam fixture, then rolled it again at 90 deg, it might begin to show the compound curve shape.
Apr 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
GLMS
Wouldn't something like this work. I over exaggerated radius but it could be whatever the design called for. Just put a strap around both axis and fasten with a screw and bake. Just an idea.

John
Last edited by mav913; May 02, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Apr 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Just to change the subject for a second, do we have a shipping cost to Canada for Fedex?

Regards

Christian
Apr 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
treefinder
Not yet, but I'm told that FedEx and UPS prices are essentially identical within US. Don't know about those broker fees, though.
Apr 26, 2012, 04:48 PM
Addicted to building...
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Wouldn't anything with elastic or whatever lose its springiness being subjected to the kind of heat required for forming? It's bad enough that the cost of forming wings would then soar into the stratosphere, but what happens when the elastic wrap relaxes during the heat forming process? Yik!
I have been baking wings for 10 years and still use the original Ace bandages when I use the older wooden forms. The bandages have lost no more stretch than some I have for medical purposes. We are only baking at 200-230 degrees F for short periods. Other than that warm elastic smell, there seems to be no harm caused by the heat. I have used both the self stick, and regular, but do prefer the regular which are harder to find now a days. My new aluminum jig is the bomb!

Fred
Apr 26, 2012, 04:53 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Not yet, but I'm told that FedEx and UPS prices are essentially identical within US. Don't know about those broker fees, though.
Any chance you could ask from your end?

In the mean time I'll still go with USPS.

Christian
Apr 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
AKA Don

Next Batch of Model Plane Foam is coming soon.

The manufacturer has informed us they plan to complete our production run some time Monday 4/30, and will ship Monday afternoon or Tuesday 5/1. We have 23 paid orders in already so we will be scrambeling for a few days to clear the backlog. By the end of the week we should be caught up and will be shipping orders as they arrive.
If you have been waiting to know when the next shipment is expected, now is the time to place your order.

I am trying to keep post 1058 updated with the orders on file.

Quick Reply