View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Dec 01, 2011, 05:35 PM
Registered User
We use a few thousand sheets of 6 mm Depron a year. For us to be interested the material would need to be as good or better than Depron and delivered in sheets in perfect condition, flat with no perforations or skin. I would forget about colors other than white. It will be a challenge to get any company in the US interested in producing it at all, let alone multiple colors.

There are a few companies who could produce the material in the US if the demand were there, but I really question if the demand is even close to being enough. Nevertheless, I'm happy to see someone investigating this and it would be great to have a competitive product to Depron. I'll be following the thread!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2011, 06:44 PM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Scott,

Thank you for your interest.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Dec 01, 2011, 06:59 PM
AKA Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero
We use a few thousand sheets of 6 mm Depron a year. For us to be interested the material would need to be as good or better than Depron and delivered in sheets in perfect condition, flat with no perforations or skin. I would forget about colors other than white. It will be a challenge to get any company in the US interested in producing it at all, let alone multiple colors.

There are a few companies who could produce the material in the US if the demand were there, but I really question if the demand is even close to being enough. Nevertheless, I'm happy to see someone investigating this and it would be great to have a competitive product to Depron. I'll be following the thread!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
How many is "a few thousand"? The highest catagory in the pole is 4 bundles a month, which is 1200 sheets per year. Please add your usage in the poll at the top of the page.
Dec 01, 2011, 07:11 PM
Registered User
Usage added. Is there any reason you would spec 5 mm and not 6 mm which is the standard for Depron? That would be a deal breaker for us.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Dec 01, 2011, 08:03 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
I think 6mm is pretty universal. Isn't blucore about 6?
Dec 01, 2011, 08:06 PM
AKA Don
Scott,
Thanks for adding your usage and your comment. I agree 6 mm would be the best target thickness for the initial product with perhaps 3 mm following later.

I am guessing that Kens initial request for 5 mm was because it is closer to the Dollar Store "Ready Board" and the Dow protection board which are current products from this manufacturer. But again, I agree a 6mm sheet would be a better choice, unless it results in some extra tooling or other expense.

By the way are 2'x4' sheets an exceptable size for you?

And how about 23.5"X4'? That is favored by some Phlatprinter users.
Dec 01, 2011, 09:04 PM
low tech high tech
vtdiy's Avatar
I'd buy 2 bundles per year for sure. Numbers added. Might even be tempted to try to kit something commercially if the quality and cost made this favorable -- which at $50 or so a bundle for flat white uniform stock would make it do-able.
Dec 01, 2011, 09:43 PM
AKA Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob
I think 6mm is pretty universal. Isn't blucore about 6?
Ken has purchased and measured a lot more Protection board and other FFF than I. Maybe he can share his data on thickness.
Dec 01, 2011, 10:27 PM
Registered User
rcav8r2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr

And how about 23.5"X4'? That is favored by some Phlatprinter users.
FWIW, as a PhlatPrinter owner, the 2'x4' works just fine.
When designing in SU for FFF, I use 6mm as the standard for the tabs, slots, and about 85% of the time that works just fine. It does vary a bit even on the same sheet (long piece with multiple tabs/slots, most are perfect fit, some aren't)

Also 5MM would be fine with me, but I would prefer 6mm and then 3mm as a close second.
Dec 02, 2011, 06:38 AM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2
FWIW, as a PhlatPrinter owner, the 2'x4' works just fine.
When designing in SU for FFF, I use 6mm as the standard for the tabs, slots, and about 85% of the time that works just fine. It does vary a bit even on the same sheet (long piece with multiple tabs/slots, most are perfect fit, some aren't)

Also 5MM would be fine with me, but I would prefer 6mm and then 3mm as a close second.
Ditto!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Dec 02, 2011, 10:30 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years
Sixter's Avatar
I agree that 6mm will be the preferred thickness. As for the size of the Foam sheets, I prefer 2' x 4' sheets of Foam. That is the same size as the original FFF Sheets. Why 2' x 4', 99% of the Models we Scratch Builders build have wingspan's less than 4'! So, with a 4' long sheet you can build a wing with out having to glue two sheets together. Comments welcome.

Bobby
Dec 02, 2011, 01:21 PM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Ken has purchased and measured a lot more Protection board and other FFF than I. Maybe he can share his data on thickness.
Between Blu-Core, PBIII, HPU, OC Foamular, and $Tree Readiboard, thickness ranges from .250" down to .188", and they all deviate to around .2" or 5mm. I know that is not exact, but there is that much variation across these products.

BC = .25"
PBIII = .188" - .2"
HPU = .2" - .225"
OC Foamular = .2" - .23"
Readiboard = .188" - .2"


Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Dec 02, 2011, 04:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Scott,
Thanks for adding your usage and your comment. I agree 6 mm would be the best target thickness for the initial product with perhaps 3 mm following later.

I am guessing that Kens initial request for 5 mm was because it is closer to the Dollar Store "Ready Board" and the Dow protection board which are current products from this manufacturer. But again, I agree a 6mm sheet would be a better choice, unless it results in some extra tooling or other expense.

By the way are 2'x4' sheets an exceptable size for you?

And how about 23.5"X4'? That is favored by some Phlatprinter users.
I have to cut the sheets down to 23" x 34" fit the laser so anything larger than that could work. I have laid out the kit parts to use the cutoffs for some of the smaller parts. So there is very little waste from the full size Depron sheets.

Personally I'm not sure if I'd be interested in 5 mm foam. It just wouldn't work well for our kits.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Dec 02, 2011, 09:08 PM
low tech high tech
vtdiy's Avatar
I think surface finish is important -- beyond just no holes or waves.

A good acrylic paintable surface would be great. I've had acrylics peel off of Cellfoam88 rather easily -- it has a hard shiny finish. If you sand it then it suddenly turns into a hard sponge texture.

I'd really like to see a smooth somewhat matte finish that would mechanically key into acrylic paints well. The paint could be gloss even if the foam finish was matte -- the foam finish is just there to let the paint grab, it doesn't determine the paint finish.

That would also be better for gluing as well.

BTW, I have written before that Yankee Dollar stores here in the NE US carry a 3mm painted foam that is perfectly flat and smooth in a variety of colors, sold as poster board. It has no paper covering. And it costs a dollar a sheet. I wonder if Adams makes that as well?

It seems a little fragile, to me, but I haven't had anything to compare it with of that size.

see:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1493432
Dec 02, 2011, 09:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
My CNC table is 4' x8' BUT I currently only have a 2' x 4' Vac hold down.
So Any of those sizes are OK with me. I currently process mostly the 13x39 depron.

My vote is 6mm or .25 " which ever.
Almost Everything I do is set up for 6mm slots and tabs.

!!!!!****!!!!!
Don, Ken, Guys, lets NOT loose sight of Other foam characteristics.
There are denser and more brittle and more floppy/rubbery formulations out there.
Even Depron is not ultra consistant and Grey/Black is not the same a White.

I've run into several of these grades over the years.
I picked up some bargain foam, once upon a time -
it's so brittle that it's useless for models.
I use it for packing material.

I also took a run at Other manufacturers of foam and wound up with a floppy
but better than EPP foam that was useable but not as desirable as depron.

I once found an Asian place that wouldnt even let me PURCHASE samples.
But they want me to buy a CONTAINER of what ever they are selling.
NOT !!!

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 02, 2011 at 10:07 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review Bluecor Fan Fold Foam Research and Testing MyGeekShow Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 26, 2012 05:08 PM
Question Depron / Fan fold foam and laser cutting laserman Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Feb 09, 2012 11:16 AM
Discussion Pactiv fan fold foam jimrudholm Foamies (Kits) 1 Jan 31, 2012 03:08 PM
Free Dow Fan Fold Foam near Enid, Oklahoma jacob Non R/C Items (FS/W) 4 May 25, 2011 09:26 AM