Model Plane Foam the Story and Product - Page 3 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 20, 2011, 06:26 PM
Ken's CAD Models
RJKIRK,
You have done some homework here, and you have presented a solid marketing case, but what do I know. Just that you have me sold already. It makes good sense as you say for Adams, as they are not foriegn to boxing there product. Also you have eloquently presented a solution to broadening the marketablilty into the craft segment.

I expect to hear from Adam some time this week.

Kudos to you,
Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
I forgot to add schools...there lots of websites that handle primary and secondary school art supplies...paper, glues, paints, crayons etc.
Also the college bookstores...art...architecture...etc. etc.
Nov 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
I've been buying two bundles a year. I have others asking where they can buy as well.
Nov 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Just based on the poll respondants at this time, it looks to be around 1057 bundles per year. That is 2 semi loads. Not a tremendous amount, but nothing to sneeze at considering this is just one thread on one forum. I believe this is a very small sampling of the potential.

Ken
Nov 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Flying Models for 55 Years
I think that if Adams made a Foam Board product that suites the needs of the RC Modeling community, they would sell a lot more than the Poll shows. Back when I could easily get original FFF with paper on both sides I went through a bundle in a few months. Now I have to conserve my Foam supply. So, if I had the Foam and didn't have to conserve I would build a lot more. I might even buy a Phlatprinter

Bobby
Nov 21, 2011, 01:12 PM
Ken's CAD Models
I had contact with R L Adams today. They are looking at this thread and passed along a response that they will see if they can come up with a plan.

Ken
Nov 21, 2011, 04:28 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
As a retailer, I would be willing to take 10 - 12 bundles and be able to offer it to those who live in the south west. Maybe being able to offer a discount to those willing to take a minimum of 10 or 12, would help get the quantities up to the point that the company might be more interested..
Nov 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
@RJ Kirk --- Tremendous bit of research and a great explanation of it sir! I have subscribed to this thread and will be watching it with interest.
Nov 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
Cobra Driver
Personally I don't mind the folded sheets. It's the waves and perforations I'd like to get rid of. I use the folds as the leading edges of wings that have an airfoil or KFm type wing. Saves a lot of time when it's already pre folded for me.

But I'm interested in at least a bundle or two whether it's in individual sheets or folded.
Nov 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years
The majority of the Molders seem to want a Foam Board that is basically the same as the Fan Fold but without the print, waves and perforations. So, what about the paper on the foam. Myself, I prefer paper on both sides. It makes the foam stiffer so there is little to no need for carbon support and it makes a good finish. If you don't like the paper it can be peeled off! Also, I think white would be a good neutral color. Comments welcome
Nov 27, 2011, 11:39 AM
hope to see something come of this I currently buy at least 6 cases of 3mm depron from RC Foam a year. I would love to find a foam of this nature for proto typing and potential kit making, good luck on your attempt!
Nov 27, 2011, 12:43 PM
electron fly'r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
The majority of the Molders seem to want a Foam Board that is basically the same as the Fan Fold but without the print, waves and perforations. So, what about the paper on the foam. Myself, I prefer paper on both sides. It makes the foam stiffer so there is little to no need for carbon support and it makes a good finish. If you don't like the paper it can be peeled off! Also, I think white would be a good neutral color. Comments welcome
I presently use Dow fan fold tissue coated both sides for all the same above reasons. ie;ditto above.
Nov 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
electron fly'r
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob
As a retailer, I would be willing to take 10 - 12 bundles and be able to offer it to those who live in the south west. Maybe being able to offer a discount to those willing to take a minimum of 10 or 12, would help get the quantities up to the point that the company might be more interested..
Bob; that would be great if we here in SW had a good supplier. I know several guys here in the PHX area would send you an order tomorrow.
Nov 27, 2011, 12:56 PM
RMS
RMS
My xmas wish.............make it happen!!!!
Nov 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
The world in foam & tissue
Amen to it being white! I do the printed tissue thing but I hate painting foam white to do it! I'd actually buy more foam and probably kits from those who used it! I think once it was out the demand would grow even more so as builds were logged and blogged here on RCG.

Quick Reply