View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 14, 2019, 12:40 PM
treefinder
I haven't but I know other guys that have, I suspect that the issue will be with the heat to activate the monokote glue. I use a monokote iron to aid adhesion of the colored packing tape I use and set it at 30 to 50%. That will melt the foam (imprint) if held in one place for a long time, but when smoothing over the surface it is fine. I'll try a search in this thread and see what comes up.

Hmm, couple of mentions but all associated with the monokote iron for use on tape. I know I have seen it somewhere, tho. Perhaps a search at the forum level. Or, just try some yourself on some scraps!
Last edited by springer; Mar 14, 2019 at 12:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2019, 03:30 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Take a look at this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-with-monocoat
Mar 14, 2019, 03:59 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Also keep in mind that different foams with their various densities will have different melting points. 250 degrees may not melt theirs but could destroy yours, always test on a scrap piece first. I have a multi temp glue gun that I have to adjust the temp on when using different foams, when using the same temperature the glue will melt dtf more then mpf.
Last edited by Timbo383; Mar 14, 2019 at 04:26 PM.
Mar 14, 2019, 06:03 PM
Rough Landing
Don't use Monokote. Use a low temp iron covering like the stuff Value Hobby or Hobby King sell. I have done it on Dollar Tree Foam on the fuselage over the paper and also bare foam. You have to keep the iron moving. Flat surfaces like elevators and rudders are tough due to warping the single sheet of foam.
Mar 15, 2019, 08:27 AM
This is my version of lockey's BD5 which is depron fuselage and MPF wings all covered with solarfilm (fixing temp is 100C -212F - shrinking a bit higher - but you obviously don't need to shrink if it isn't on an open surface).

As the other's say start low and work the temp up. I found it quite easy once I'd got a bit of practice. You definitely need to do something to prevent warps on single sheets. I weighed the ailerons down with books whilst still warm.

Not sure if monokote requires higher temps though.
Mar 15, 2019, 08:39 AM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
It doesn’t have to be Monokote, just something similar, commercially available and in the colors of Olive Drab, Grey and White.
Mar 15, 2019, 09:03 AM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by wijwoj
This is my version of lockey's BD5 which is depron fuselage and MPF wings all covered with solarfilm (fixing temp is 100C -212F - shrinking a bit higher - but you obviously don't need to shrink if it isn't on an open surface).

As the other's say start low and work the temp up. I found it quite easy once I'd got a bit of practice. You definitely need to do something to prevent warps on single sheets. I weighed the ailerons down with books whilst still warm.

Not sure if monokote requires higher temps though.
Beautiful job on the finishing! I did a Rollason Beta in that color scheme (dark wing, and bottom, white top) and found it awful to maintain orientation when out several hundred feet. How is yours for keeping track of attitude and orientation?
Mar 15, 2019, 09:12 AM
treefinder

New shipping rates!

Hey Guys,

For those of you who have followed this thread and MPF business over the years, you will know that shipping went from an original pretty manageable rate of $15 for all continental US to a crazy quilt of different rates and carriers to get best rate for each zone from Michigan. Well, I don't know what happened, but last month the USPS changed their rates and I can now ship to the continental 48 through them at rates lower than Fedex or UPS. Plus, I no longer have to trim foam and boxes to get under 48" long and avoid the "extra handling" charges. New rates are generally Midwest and East: $12, Great Planes, Fl, ME: $22 and Mountains and West Coast: $32. As guys place orders, I'm keeping track and may make some minor changes, but it looks like it's not a fluke and will stay like this for a while. We'll see how long this lasts, but take advantage of if while we can.
Mar 15, 2019, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Beautiful job on the finishing! I did a Rollason Beta in that color scheme (dark wing, and bottom, white top) and found it awful to maintain orientation when out several hundred feet. How is yours for keeping track of attitude and orientation?
Its not bad, but the bottom of the wings are white with a blue stripe for the fuselage so its reasonably visible from underneath.

Also have your international rates changed at all? How much these days for a standard box to the UK (currently says shipping cost is $51 for a box it looks like)? I've finally got a workshop to build things in after a four year rc drought due to becoming a dad and life getting in the way.
Mar 15, 2019, 12:24 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Good to see the pricing coming down to my living expenses. It was cheap already, but now I'll be taking advantage of it this weekend and getting me a box or two before the postal service gets greedy again.
Mar 15, 2019, 01:17 PM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
Just placed an order for 16 sheets of grade A.
Mar 15, 2019, 01:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
3X + here ;>}
Mar 15, 2019, 06:30 PM
treefinder
Wow! Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

Wijwoj, very cool shed! As to intl. rates, I haven't checked, but i will take a look and let you know. Last I knew, I could ship a full size box to UK, and parts of EU, but the rest of the world required the smaller "international box". Cost was pretty much the same all over. But had crept up to around $70usd. That pretty much wiped out overseas business.
Mar 16, 2019, 09:49 AM
treefinder
Wijwoj, I checked the postoffice, and looks like the domestic reductions haven't been extended to international. full 16 sheet box is $85 usd , 8 sheet is $75, international is $71. Painful!

Sorry about that!

Quick Reply