View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 28, 2017, 08:01 PM
treefinder
Hey, Ken, did you ever get to build anything from the 3mm you got?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 03:45 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
If the 3mm comes to you as 24x48 and you really want to cut them down for shipping, I like one 12x24 and two 18x36 per sheet. Or... one 24x32 and one 24x16 per sheet. The first would give you two different sizes to ship. The second would give you a basic shipping dimension of 24x32 with an equal number of 16 and 32 inch sheets per box, or customer's choice of a mix, and a 16x24 pack for those who would prefer only the smaller size. Of course, since you are already set up to ship 24x48 then that is an obvious option too, for those wanting the large size and willing to pay the shipping. Then again, a mixed 3mm and 6mm box is an obvious option.

Yes, I prefer the largest dimensions possible but do understand the shipping challenge. Ultimately you will make the final call on shipping sizes.

J.P.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:04 PM
treefinder
JP: good suggestions, I hadn't thought about two different smaller boxes. Only negative would be I'll have to buy two new boxes, but I could figure box cost into foam pricing.

More on the 3 mm, I started threads in the scale scratch built forum and indoor/micro forum thinking that those folk may be good candidates. The response was underwhelming to say the least. Most comments were suggestions of other options. Last I checked only one response was "yeah I'm interested". Makes me wonder if there is enough need for this product.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:35 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Hey, Ken, did you ever get to build anything from the 3mm you got?
Not yet. I am otherwise occupied at the moment.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Apr 03, 2017, 09:05 AM
I am interested and I am one of those guys who hang out at the scale forum. I have been trying to source materials to attempt a foam build. What I am finding has been discouraging. The FFF that used to be readily available at Lowes is no longer. Here in the south, finding white bead foam for wing cores is almost impossible. I was able to purchase a 4x8 sheet of 2" pink foam from Home Depot for $40.00. I have a bundle of FFF that I bought from lowes years ago but would like to find a source of 3mm foam for skins. Without it costing an arm and a leg. I am planning on building in the 60" to 70" wingspan range so would need wingskins that are 30-36 inches long. I am hoping this project gets off the ground and is affordable.

Jim

Quote:
JP: good suggestions, I hadn't thought about two different smaller boxes. Only negative would be I'll have to buy two new boxes, but I could figure box cost into foam pricing.

More on the 3 mm, I started threads in the scale scratch built forum and indoor/micro forum thinking that those folk may be good candidates. The response was underwhelming to say the least. Most comments were suggestions of other options. Last I checked only one response was "yeah I'm interested". Makes me wonder if there is enough need for this product.
Apr 03, 2017, 09:57 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA
I am interested and I am one of those guys who hang out at the scale forum. I have been trying to source materials to attempt a foam build. What I am finding has been discouraging. The FFF that used to be readily available at Lowes is no longer. Here in the south, finding white bead foam for wing cores is almost impossible. I was able to purchase a 4x8 sheet of 2" pink foam from Home Depot for $40.00. I have a bundle of FFF that I bought from lowes years ago but would like to find a source of 3mm foam for skins. Without it costing an arm and a leg. I am planning on building in the 60" to 70" wingspan range so would need wingskins that are 30-36 inches long. I am hoping this project gets off the ground and is affordable.

Jim
Build with the foam you can obtain.
If you can't find 3mm foam, design a structure that does not require 3mm foam.
It's really easy to do that with planes in the size range you are intending.
Wire-cut the wings from that 2" pink foam, for example.
And remember Model Plane Foam http://www.modelplanefoam.com/ is always available and is superior to FFF.
Apr 03, 2017, 10:31 AM
What's the reason to not use 3mm EPP? Too floppy? I have 2mm depron, but have never had 3mm EPP. The stiffness of the depron is impressive when made into a box fuselage. How's this compare to the MPF and EPP?
Apr 03, 2017, 04:27 PM
Quote:

Maybe just sell a rig to cut sheets in half thicknesswise.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:21 PM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
I hope this all works out, we need some good 3mm foam sheet.