View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Jack
Does that have KF steps on the bottoms of the wings? I can't tell from the photos.

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
AKA Don
Very pretty! Can we use the picture on the MPF website?
Sep 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Very pretty! Can we use the picture on the MPF website?
PM me an email address and I'll send you better pics. You'll have to hurry though. (I'm know to crash often!)

No KF steps or carbon in the wings. I thought about going kf2 but in the end chose to leave it light and see how it flew.
Sep 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
Built a Hammer 38 yesterday...
I'm sitting here in amazed bewilderment. I'm probably two months away from posting the build thread on the Hammer, which is still very much a work-in-progress, and lo and behold, somebody has already built one!

Wow. I'm impressed, LDM. Did you take it off those parts-on-the-sheet drawings I posted a while back?

Glad you like the way it flies. Latest version of the plans are below. I'm calling out taped Depron on it (per the tape drawings), but a laminated 10mm MPF version (and an EPP version) will also be on the build thread. My water-based polyurethane varnish laminating experiment looks very good after sitting for three days, and if it works, I'll be ordering (another) box of MPF, and building a 10mm MPF Hammer. It will be the third one. Hammer 2, shown below, is the one on the second video.

(Nice paint job, BTW. Looks great.)

Hammer 38 Video 1

Hammer 38 Video 2
Last edited by Depronicus; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Sep 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
Yes I used your parts-on-the-sheet drawings. And thank you for posting them! I had to use a larger battery then I wanted to get the CG right but other then that it was a easy build thanks to your layout and tabbing. Thanks for the landing gear PDF - I was wondering how I was going to put legs on it. I can't wait for your build guide. I was thinking if I build another I'll laminate three layers for the vertical fuse and get rid of the horizontal part like I did for my L'il Ripper. (The two pictured I built for friends.) It made the fuse very sturdy and crash resistant.
Sep 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Quote:
Built a Hammer 38 yesterday.
Uhh...does that mean, "finished" or "started from a clean white sheet of MPF and did the whole thing?"
Sep 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Uhh...does that mean, "finished" or "started from a clean white sheet of MPF and did the whole thing?"
Not exactly sure what you are getting at. I cut it out, painted it and put it together using hot glue and CA. I consider that building a plane.
Sep 11, 2012, 01:05 PM
I think he was asking if you did the whole job in one day. Sounds like the answer is yes. That's a fast build, and you did a nice job on it.
Sep 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman View Post
I think he was asking if you did the whole job in one day. Sounds like the answer is yes. That's a fast build, and you did a nice job on it.
Oh, got it. I had the pieces all cut out earlier but did paint it and put it together in one day. I'm pretty fast once it starts going together. My wife claims she is a foam-plane-widow.
Sep 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
just Some Useless Geek
What paint did you use that allowed for painting and construction the same day?
Sep 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
What paint did you use that allowed for painting and construction the same day?
I just used the cheap Wallymart acrylic and put a light coat on. It is dry enough in 30 min to start handling it.
Sep 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
...Wallymart acrylic...is dry enough in 30 min to start handling it.
So is the brush-applied poster paint I use to do my Coast Guard helicopter high-visibility paint jobs. Set it in front of a fan and it's bone-dry in 20 minutes.
Sep 12, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have been using Wally World paint for years. I also use Home Depot Baer sample bottles paint at around $3 and thin it with windsheild washer. They will scan anything for a color match too.I use a heat gun at times a distance away on my foamies to speed drying time. I use both Polycrylic water and oil sprayed on as a final plane finish also for different type planes. Satin for military gloss for others.
**Neons** Bob
Sep 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Warriors
Hello,

I am building a foamy with MPF. I would like to know what you guys are using for hinges. I have used Scotch Gift Wrap Tape for Aileron, Rudder and Elevator. But its not sticking well. I did sand the forward edges of the control surfaces to V shape.

are there any other tapes that you can recommend. also whats the better way to cut the control surface where they meet the wing.

Thanks
Anant
Sep 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Packing tape (comes in a 2" wide roll) works well, as does Blenderm medical tape (also sold as Dubro hinge tape).

Quick Reply