Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by russ_hillis
Discussion

Installing Large Scale Electronics 1st time

Thinking ahead to spring time, I'm hoping to have my 1/4 scale J3 cub very nearly done about then. It's going to be an electric powered unit running 9 or 10S (either 2x5s or 3x3s in series). That's the power side of the scheme. On the other side I'll be running 6 HiTec 645MG hi torque servo's (ailerons, elevator, rudder and ahem flaps ) I would also like to add switched Nav lights, even though I'm committing the sacrilege of adding flaps to a J3!

I know that I need to isolate my motor, servo & Rx circuits and have redundant power or at least separate power sources for my Rx & servos. So my question is, how the heck do I wire this mess up and keep all the smoke in?
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Hi Russ: On my larger builds, I use a separate Bec with a 2/3S lipo to power the Rx. You could also use a 6VOLT reciever pack, but I have no faith in any nicad type personally.
You will have to remove the Red wire from theEsc to RX (centre wire) when using a separate Bec.
I have used Hobbyking's Megabec 8 on planes with 6 servos and lights witho good results. It is used with a 2S Lipo only (1500-2200 is lots). I also use the Hobbyking 8-15 Bec on a couple of planes with more servos/large digitals. It can be used on either 2 or 3S, i still prefer 2S, same capacities.
The Bec lead plugs into any open channel or the battery terminal if so designated on your RX.
I use Hobbykings Flightmax Zippy 2S batteries in 15C/ 1800 for my Becs. Typical flights use 90-130mah (plane dependant) from the Bec battery, so 8-10 flights would be normal on a charge. I've never gone past 5 flights on any one plane in a day, but recharge the Bec along with the mains to avoid confusion. It woud be wise to fly your plane 1-3 times, then recharge the Bec battery to check mah used. This gives you an idea how the system is working FWIW Doug B
I do not use redundant systems as I feel they only complicate the setups. That help you any!! Doug B