Oct 31, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

World's smallest engine?

http://geeknizer.com/worlds-smallest-petrol-engine/

Not sure I really believe this, but maybe it's time to invest in some of that itty bitty DSM2 gear and start winding actuators!

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2011, 07:57 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
well, being able to make one is one thing, being able to PRODUCE them and have them all be cost effective with batteries is the real challenge

though having a hybrid aircraft would be sweet, no charging, just refuel and back to flying!
thats why i want them to get fuel cells down in size and up to lithium power levels.
Oct 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
I want to see a video of that little guy in action! If those figures are correct, I'd buy stock in that effort immediately.
Oct 31, 2011, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
well, being able to make one is one thing, being able to PRODUCE them and have them all be cost effective with batteries is the real challenge

though having a hybrid aircraft would be sweet, no charging, just refuel and back to flying!
thats why i want them to get fuel cells down in size and up to lithium power levels.
I don't tink they are hand made. Probably laser machined or something similar that can be automated. Maybe shapeways can dupe them out of stainless!

While I'm dreaming about it maybe I should also ask about nano turbine engines for some living room jets!

Pete
Oct 31, 2011, 10:07 PM
Its been over 6 years since this was originally posted:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ticle80219.ece

I wonder where its gone?
Oct 31, 2011, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider

I wonder where its gone?
The cat ate it
Oct 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
SlingWinger
I once had a Cox .010 glow motor. They were incredible.
Oct 31, 2011, 11:10 PM
Just a bored guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
I don't tink they are hand made. Probably laser machined or something similar that can be automated. Maybe shapeways can dupe them out of stainless!

While I'm dreaming about it maybe I should also ask about nano turbine engines for some living room jets!

Pete
Forget LRFs. The new thing will be LRJs!
Oct 31, 2011, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
Forget LRFs. The new thing will be LRJs!
Exactly. Read it again. Or are you agreeing with me?

Would need an FPV system so I could hunt down a mosquito or two if they wake me up at night.

Pete
Oct 31, 2011, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider

I wonder where its gone?
Good call. Nobody, including me has noticed that. I'm going to check out the watch counter in Macy's and ask if they have any petrol powered watches.

Easy come, easy go.

Maybe when nanotech takes off.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Tpo!
Oct 31, 2011, 11:34 PM

Lrj

That would really spook the cat
Oct 31, 2011, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
Usually when my flying buddy and I start playing with RC gear his cats leave. The really weird exception was a small quad heli. Their eyes bugged out but they looked ready to pounce. I think it may have sounded like an insect to them. It was really interesting to watch. Land and they'd stalk over to it. Add a hint of power and they'd back up about a foot. Hover and they'd hold their ground staring at it.

Great cats even if they did chew up a couple of foamies when they were kittens.

Pete
Nov 01, 2011, 12:58 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
i noticed a few neighborhood cats liked to stare at my quad and if i landed near them, they'd croutch as if to pounce, but never would

also, i do recall a popular science issue that had these in it many years ago. they were also looking at nano turbine engines made from silicon.
Nov 01, 2011, 02:36 AM
Thread OP
If motors like these ever become a commercial reality at low prices it would really be interesting to have tiny quads to fly. I've flown my AR Drone in my apartment (no videos, the place is a total mess) but it really needed more room although hovering in front of myself for an airborne portrait was possible it was not comfortable.

My UM helis are also a bit intimidating when up close. I fly them anyway, but mostly just over the bed. I practiced daily on Aerofly or whatever the Ikarus one is called, but when the heli is real, however small it seems a lot more difficult.

Smaller is better since the same flying space provides more room for error.

Pete

Quick Reply