This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 31, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

those were the days: the sky is the limit

chapter 4-books!i recall seeing my mother always with a book. any free time she had, she was reading. and that made me try to decipher those signs on the paper, until i learned to read. and that opened a window where the sky is the limit. as soon as i was allowed to go to the library, there i was, exploring all those treasures, windows to the fantasy, where i could learn and dream of all that i wanted. then i discovered books on aviation, first full size, then models. and magazines: Model Airplane News, with all the models, plans, theory...like Charkes H Grant's Design Forum, where i learned how to design my planes. well, he provided proportions, but also let me experiment with structures and airfoils, learning to plot them. and about coordinates, polars, all the mysteries unveiled. then learned about the books of Frank Zaic, with hundreds of plans, structures, more theory. there was no room for more in my life. and so far...still there is no room for anything else. there is no time to try all the ideas. when i corresponded with another great guy, Jim Clem, we agreed that we had to live hundreds of years to be able to try all the things that we dream to do. so little time...although now we have this net thing that goes beyond the wildest dream. today, we are living in a world where science-fiction has become reality. remember Dick Tracy's wrist radio-television that seemed too fantastic? now we all have celulars and see them as the most natural thing.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 01, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2011, 08:29 AM
into the wild blue yonder
When I was a kid I remember looking at a phone book and the front cover showed telephones through the years it started with the party-line and progressed up to two people talking on phones that they could see each other (like Skype). that was back in the early 1970's 72 or 73 out of Denver Co. kinda like what your talking about with Dick Tracy and all...I never thought I would see the day when all this tech stuff would be so imporant.
Nov 01, 2011, 09:59 AM
Thread OP

science-fiction no more

'I never thought I would see the day when all this tech stuff would be so important'... indeed!
and so common, that we don't stop to consider the unbelievable advances in technology that are required to reach it and that, as some say, we take it for granted.
the best thing is that we can communicate almost instantly with anyone in the world, exchange ideas, learn from each other...
this generation just can't imagine how was life without celulars. a generation with the phone plugged to the ear. but that means communication-and learning way faster. besides, no 1 is alone anymore.

Quick Reply