Oct 30, 2011, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

can we fly heli without rudder control?

hi everyone

I just have this question in my mind...
can we fly a heli without rudder control?

because when i flying plane..
when i wanted to turn, i will use aileron to twist the plane a bit,
than pull the elevator to make the plane turn

so i wonder.. can we do it on heli
when moving forward (got momentum), aileron to twist it side a bit,
and than pull the ele to make it turn..?

i just beginner in flying rc heli .. so i not tried it before
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2011, 10:59 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741
hi everyone

I just have this question in my mind...
can we fly a heli without rudder control?

because when i flying plane..
when i wanted to turn, i will use aileron to twist the plane a bit,
than pull the elevator to make the plane turn

so i wonder.. can we do it on heli
when moving forward (got momentum), aileron to twist it side a bit,
and than pull the ele to make it turn..?

i just beginner in flying rc heli .. so i not tried it before
Short answer - No

With the tail gyro in HH mode it will keep on pointing the same direction, so instead of turning it will just sort of fall on its side.
Even in rate mode you generally have to bring the tail around in a banked turn. The gyro will make it lag behind and without rudder input it will tend to yaw nose up in the turn and slide sideways.

Pat MacKenzie
Oct 30, 2011, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Short answer - No

With the tail gyro in HH mode it will keep on pointing the same direction, so instead of turning it will just sort of fall on its side.
Even in rate mode you generally have to bring the tail around in a banked turn. The gyro will make it lag behind and without rudder input it will tend to yaw nose up in the turn and slide sideways.

Pat MacKenzie

thanks Pat... now i know ...
so no matter how, we will need rudder control in order to make a turn.
Oct 30, 2011, 11:17 PM
Not only that, how could you possibly hover accurately without control over where the nose is pointing? I would not even be interested in such a proposition.
I don't even want to go where the Blade Scout is taking us. No aileron control? No control of positioning by sliding sideways? Who would want to do such things?
Oct 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
I fly in normal mode. forward flight reguires very little rudder control. in fact it flys much the same as a plank useing only aleron and elevator control. set the tail up for normal gyro mode and go for it. PB
Oct 31, 2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55
Not only that, how could you possibly hover accurately without control over where the nose is pointing? I would not even be interested in such a proposition.
I don't even want to go where the Blade Scout is taking us. No aileron control? No control of positioning by sliding sideways? Who would want to do such things?
We used to do this in the days before HH gyros were available. I cam tell you that the drop out rate was very high with many never able to hover.

However once in the air, there is very difference between HH and rate mode in terms of difficulty. I once flew a 0.60 nitro without knowing that the gyro had been turned off completely by mistake.
Oct 31, 2011, 02:23 AM
You can turn without rudder control if you replace the tail rotor with a stabilizer. Like in the Eco lite, and several others. Better to learn to fly the rudder, it will also help when flying airplanes. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=2589286
Oct 31, 2011, 02:23 AM
Thread OP
hi everyone... hope u not mind my question

what is HH gyro ..

edit : After searching i only know is Head Hold Gyro

Quick Reply