This thread is privately moderated by binaryclock, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
I hate winter!
Thread OP
Discussion

Flying the Beast on a calm evening

The leaves on the trees outside my window were dancing ever so slightly on their branches when I looked out the window at around 5pm today. Running to the other side of my house that looks in to my backyard I quickly observed the laces on the umbrella of our patio set. The thin plastic material laces were gently being lifted by the wind from the south, but not enough to actually signify any amount of registered wind to a person who doesnít fly ultra micro airplanes. It was time to fly.

I grabbed my go-to ultra micro, the UMX Beast and made sure all my eight hyperion 1s 180mah packs were ready to go flying with me and the Beast. A quick voltage test on my iCharger confirmed that each cell was at 4.15v and topped up.

Arriving at my cornfield where I fly almost 100% of the time, I was greeted by a lovely young lady walking her dog. She smiled with a smile so nice that it was enough to warm a manís heart on the coldest of days.

I launched the Beast in the air and it felt like there was a slight 3km/h breeze affecting the Beast. At lower altitudes the 60 foot monster pines that surround my field stopped the wind, but as I gained altitude the wind effects became a tad more drastic. For the first pack the womanís puppy dog followed the Beast around the field, barking and jumping like crazy, having a great time just being a dog. I didnít feel alarmed as it seemed that even though that this dog was quick and full of energy, he also seemed a bit timid of the Beast so I didnít think heíd go for it when it landed. I was wrong. But I did manage to pick it up before he arrived on the scene Ė thank god.

I was able to fly four packs through the Beast, but the fourth pack was cut short as it became apparent that it was getting a tad too dark to properly judge the orientation of the plane at all times. You know the feeling where you freeze for a second because you are unsure of the vector that your plane is on. Coming out of inverted flat spins Iíd have to second guess to make sure it was still inverted and thatís never fun when youíre still in the spin 20 feet above the ground and itís getting darker every second. Therefore I landed her, and brought her in for the night.

During the flights I was able to practice my Cuban eights, reverse Cuban eights, stall turns, two point rolls, inverted flight, knife edge, high alpha KE, some death slides, inverted flat spins, split-s, immelman turns, flat rudder turns, harriers, inverted harriers, and much more. I really did have a great time in the calm dusk autumn air.
I said it once before and Iíll say it again.

The flights didn't last long, but the few minutes I had were enough to make up for all the weeks of horrible weather and aggravation. It is times like this that you don't even have to wish you were in the cockpit as the peacefulness and beauty of a calm morning or at dusk allows you to become one with the plane.

Hey - is it December yet??

bc
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply