SVSS ALES for November 2011 - RC Groups
Oct 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
Contest

SVSS ALES for November 2011

After having such a great first ALES contest on October 22, we were asked by some of the pilots if we could put one on in November. So the SVSS ALES team of Aric, Sheldon & Ron said you bet! So mark your calendar for Saturday, November 19. Pilot's meeting will be at 9:30 AM sharp and a first launch at 10:00 AM Your CD for this contest will be yours truly with the assistant CD being Aric and Sheldon will once again be the announcer/slave driver to keep things moving along Entry fee will be $10 and lunch will be available for $5. We are considering having some shorter early morning flights as the weather will probably somewhat cool - at this point we are thinking something like 2 flights of 5 minutes, 2 flights of 7 minutes, and 2 flights of 10 minutes. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions please email directly at rcronk.soar@gmail.com.

RonK

After much discussion at our flying field and via the internet the SVSS ALES contest flight tasks will go to 5 rounds of 10 minutes. Thanks for all of your input and hope to see you November 19th in Davis - RonK
Last edited by rcronk; Nov 05, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: update to flight tasks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2011, 02:26 PM
AMA 3959
yahoo, you guys ROCK! See ya on the 19th!

Al
Nov 19, 2011, 08:40 PM

Contest Report

Another great contest and a pretty interesting day conditions wise. The day started cool with no wind and clear skies. In the far distance were clouds in every direction encircling the field but the sun was out and clear skies directly overhead. Birds were already circling during the 9:30 am pilots meeting so it looked like it was going to be an easy max time contest (landing contest). The CD called for 5 rounds of 10 minutes each but only if we had started the 5th round by 2pm. Turns out we would fly 4 rounds plus the bonus round of the 5 top foamy against 5 top open class pilots.

The first two rounds were flown in ideal conditions and it was easy for most pilots to max. In round two it even warmed up and the jackets came off. There were some huge lift cycles and some equally large sink cycles so while it was relatively easy it still was not a cakewalk and I think I only saw one flight group the entire day where all the pilots maxed the round. By round three the clouds moved in and the sun became blocked behind a thin veil of high stratus and the heat shut down. Then the wind picked up and conditions became more challenging. Still, many pilots maxed in round three. By round 4 our hapless Radians in the Beer Cooler class could only point into the wind and try to find wave. I managed 6:40ish in the round with everyone down but then saw Carl still flying. I was hovering at about 40 ft over my head pointed into the wind and Carl had managed to chase a thermal far downwind and was a few hundred feet up for an easy win but faced with a half mile walk if he really wanted the win that bad. He bailed and switched his motor back on to save the journey and was zeroed for the round so I became king of the beer coolers once again (thanks Carl). Joe Newland took top honors in open class with his beautiful 4 meter Ava (I gotta get one of those)

In the bonus round flyoff of foamies against open we proved once and for all that the foamies cannot compete against the open class ships in wind. It was cold, no thermals, some wave if you could reach it and the open class ships managed to whip us. I think only one of them was bested by a foamy and three made 10 minutes which is pretty incredible in those conditions. All 5 foamies were down within 5 or 6 minutes.

a great day, I think 28 pilots, a great lunch and fantastic organization once again thanks to Sheldon, Aric and Ron. And now we are talking about monthly contests and a two day event for next year!!

Steve
Last edited by TrekBiker; Nov 20, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Nov 19, 2011, 10:19 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM

Videos of today

I laughed so much today. What a great time! Amazing to see so many pilots trying out something so new.

Ron, Sheldon and Aric - great job you guys. Very well organized. Thank you so much for stepping up and volunteering to take this on!

I took a few iPhone videos - all very short. You can view them in HD.

Dave

Mike Launching Open Class SVSS ALES 11/19/11 (0 min 54 sec)

SVSS ALES Foam Class Launch (0 min 41 sec)

SVSS ALES Contest (0 min 29 sec)

Scott at SVSS ALES Contest (0 min 54 sec)

SVSS ALES Mass Launch (0 min 49 sec)

Aric at SVSS - ALES (0 min 32 sec)

Scott's Landing SVSS ALES 11/19/2011 (0 min 18 sec)

Took way longer than I thought to upload, over an hour all work now.
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 20, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
Nov 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
AMA 3959
SVSS rocks! What a blast! I really liked the fact you flew the unlimited rounds back to back, that gave us unlimited guys a chance to socialize or time for the foam guys We have a thread to the event here

http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopi...p=78313#p78313

Al
who will be a SVSS member next year!
Nov 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
Good for what ALES you

Scores Posted

The scores from yesterday's contests were just posted (thanks Dudley).
http://www.svss.org/ALES.htm
Nov 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
AMA 3959
David, thanks for the videos You captured the spirit of the event!

Al
Nov 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder
The scores from yesterday's contests were just posted (thanks Dudley).
http://www.svss.org/ALES.htm
I notice looking at the score sheets that only one pilot, Robert Schleimer, flew both Foamy and Open class. I plan to fly both classes next year as I really want a high tech open ship but the Radian has proven to be so much fun in the ALES format that I will stick with it. The contest format is ideal for flying both classes I think. The more the merrier, especially on the MoM mass launches.

I really liked how the contest was set up with two flight groups of open flying first back to back followed by two flight groups of foamies. Keeping the two classes seperate is a really good thing and I think it has the potential to bring in new beginning pilots into a low stress, inexpensive and very fun event.

Steve
Nov 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Steve, Aric,

Is it possible to see the score of each flight group?

Thanks for a great contest. The condition was challenging enough to be fun!! I got two easy rounds, the thermal was right where the motor stopped. The third one was a little bit tougher . And the last round, if I did not have the great timer, Bob McGowan, I would have been landed at 7 minute......

Thank you SVSS.

Brian, an EAJ
Nov 20, 2011, 04:16 PM
Good for what ALES you

Scoring Charts

Brian,

Unfortunately, there is no single sheet in the scoring spreadsheet that shows round by round flight times and landing points. Since the flight scores are normalized within each flight group and the landing scores are then added, only these scores are combined in the data we posted. I'm not an Excel wiz, but I will try to create a combined chart and post them. I will also suggest this to the developer of the scoring sheet as well.

I did put these charts together in order to compare the flight times of the Open vs. Foamie classes. In October, the Foamies did great in the later rounds, but if you look at the first round, flight times were shorter. In November, we had the opposite lift conditions and the Foamies did better in the morning.
Nov 20, 2011, 07:03 PM
Everyday normal guy.
Thank you SVSS members for inviting us South Bay guys out to your ALES contest. As usual, you folks put on a great contest!

I spent the entire week before the contest building a Topmodel CZ Gracia to enter in the contest. I got it finished the evening before the contest and ran it up for a quick 2 minute trim flight right after the pilots meeting. I spent most of the contest rounds trying to get everything tuned. It was great fun!

I managed to hook a good one in the third round. I climbed to over 1900 feet before I chickened out and pushed the nose down. Here's the graph from recording altimeter.
Nov 20, 2011, 08:45 PM
Good for what ALES you

Round 3

Don,

You and I were in different flight groups during round 3, but I managed to get my Oly II up to 1600 feet and quite a ways downwind before high-tailing it back home.

I'm still not hitting the full 200 meters on launch, but thanks to Kipp, we found that I was missing the top end of my throttle. Now I'll go back to a lighter battery pack and see if I can improve my climb-outs.
Nov 20, 2011, 11:14 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Aric,

Make sure it is not the altitude sensor getting a false pressure reading. Check for venturi holes in the fuselage. Sometime the altimeter sense the false low reading due to high speed air going over a hole on the fuselage. Thus creating a vacuum(less pressure that ambient) inside the fuselage, so the sensor think it has gotten to 200m.

Make sure the altitude sensing device is "seeing" the static ambient pressure.

I have posted some photos I took at the contest. Link..

Brian, an EAJ
Last edited by bhchan; Nov 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: adding link to photos.
Nov 20, 2011, 11:31 PM

News Flash!!! Carmody Busted!!

On the scene and recorded on video, TOM CARMODY, failing to get his times resorts to desperate measures as he targets his fellow competitors and attempts to take them out using his glider as a guided missile. Investigators on the scene determined that Carmody misscalculated the impact force and failed to realize the Nerf foamie properties of his Radian glider and thankfully, no serious injuries resulted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=50HBLUEziQg

Witness statements:

Juan Mota: "It makes no sense, Tom is a good guy...... I guess the pressure was just too much"'

little girl bystander: "I dont get it.. what a Wierdo."

Steve Henke: "Tom is not a terrorist... He did not target that guy, I'm sure of it, Tom is just a really crappy pilot, its just that simple."
Last edited by TrekBiker; Nov 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM.