Thread Tools
Aug 19, 2019, 06:34 AM
Master re-kitter
SRQFlyer's Avatar

Need some info!


Gentlemen,

I am glad I found this thread as I need some help from you Team Race gurus. I am helping our club sell the engines and accessories from a deceased member. He was evidently heavily into racing some years ago. He had a Rossi FIRE 15 diesel and these tanks, which I assume are team race tanks. Could you please help with these questions:

1. Are they team race tanks and is this style still used - the date on the box is 1994?
2. If I were to try to sell them, does anyone know of a more specific forum than RC Groups?
3. What would they be worth?
4. Is there any interest here?

Thee are also some similar, but larger tanks that might be for rat race.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Jim
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 07:40 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQFlyer
Gentlemen,

I am glad I found this thread as I need some help from you Team Race gurus. I am helping our club sell the engines and accessories from a deceased member. He was evidently heavily into racing some years ago. He had a Rossi FIRE 15 diesel and these tanks, which I assume are team race tanks. Could you please help with these questions:

1. Are they team race tanks and is this style still used - the date on the box is 1994?
2. If I were to try to sell them, does anyone know of a more specific forum than RC Groups?
3. What would they be worth?
4. Is there any interest here?

Thee are also some similar, but larger tanks that might be for rat race.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Jim
Not really team race tanks, perhaps .15 size Rat Race? The plastic fill valves mentioned in the note presumably go into or over the holes in the tank. This would suggest glow powered because soft plastic isn't diesel fuel resistant.

Regrettably in my humble opinion the tanks are worthless, they're incomplete, poorly shaped, and don't suit any modern class.

A diesel Rossi .15 on the other hand would bring a good price.
Aug 19, 2019, 08:03 AM
Master re-kitter
SRQFlyer's Avatar
Thank you! I thought they probably belonged in the scrap yard just down the road too.

I'll be listing the Rossi in the engines classifieds here soon. Any ideas on what they are worth?

Thanks,
Jim
Aug 19, 2019, 09:21 AM
Registered User
old4570's Avatar
Hmmm , interesting ...

Tanks could be Goodyear or RAT Tanks ... ( I would guess Goodyear )
FIRE Diesel ...
Not sure anyone in the USA used a diesel in Goodyear ?
Unless its like the 70's
RAT perhaps ..
Though a lot of people used the FIRE for teamracing ( F2C )

Worth ?
Depends on condition ...
In this day and age , they make a sweet sports engine .
Aug 19, 2019, 09:27 AM
Registered User
I would bet that the tanks were good for the Clown racing. (or something similar) They used a 1 oz. tank. A fast diesel would clean up. 7 1/2 minute race 1 oz. tank. The score is the # of laps. There were different schemes to win. After a while I think fast Nelsons were the way, even with the pit stops. Now it is just LA .15 to keep things sane. As for the value of the motor? Whatever someone pays. I have paid less than $20 for the old Rossis recently, but have seen them for over $80. Check feebay for recent sales $100's?. International sites are good. England and Australia love the diesels. (This forum is international)
Last edited by aspeed; Aug 19, 2019 at 09:32 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 09:34 AM
Registered User
old4570's Avatar
Yes , Us in Oz do like diesels ...

Hmmmm , I love the smell of diesel in the morning !
Aug 19, 2019, 09:37 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Yes , Us in Oz do like diesels ...

Hmmmm , I love the smell of diesel in the morning !
... and in the still of the late afternoon :-)
Aug 19, 2019, 10:11 AM
Master re-kitter
SRQFlyer's Avatar
You guys are a riot! Thanks for the additional info. I've used an Irvine 40 diesel that I bought in Liverpool and "smuggled" back here to the US and an FP-40 with an RJL head. Both were fun, but I (used to) prefer the smell of (old) Ambroid glue vs. diesel!

I'll probably put the Rossi here for a reasonable price and then off to the Bay if no nibbles.

Jim
Aug 22, 2019, 05:40 PM
Master re-kitter
SRQFlyer's Avatar

Rossi 15


The FIRE Rossi 15 diesel I mentioned above is listed now in the engines FS/W
Jim
Aug 23, 2019, 12:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQFlyer
The FIRE Rossi 15 diesel I mentioned above is listed now in the engines FS/W
Jim
It looks like a Tim Gillott diesel special made from a Rossi .15 glow, very rare :-)
Last edited by locktite401; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:51 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold K&B 35 engine (control line) W/free p-51 plans! lol bluemeane Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Sep 03, 2011 03:37 PM
Sold Vintage J. Roberts 3-line control line Flight Control & Bell Crank Units NIB wfortney99 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Jul 03, 2011 09:10 PM
Alert Help support our USA control line team radman615 Control Line 10 Feb 03, 2010 11:58 PM
Wanted Plans for Fairchild Packet (Flying Boxcar)twin engined control line control l mchandrayan Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 10, 2005 08:44 PM