May 21, 2019, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc James H
Hi Guys,
this is my vintage B before clear coating and numbering.

Doc J.
What design is it?
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 10:33 PM
Morologus es
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
Very carefully detailed, nice. Is that and Enya .29?
Yes - ancient Enya .29. The one with the latin instructions.

Doc J.
May 23, 2019, 10:33 PM
Morologus es
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
What design is it?
Quest with the canopy moved a bit.

Doc.
May 24, 2019, 04:23 AM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
Quest with the canopy moved a bit.

Doc.
Thanks for posting the photos. I have the original plan and have been procrastinating for years whether to build one.

Power is to be a an ancient McCoy .29R that I had rebuilt with new bearings etc. Maybe not competitive,
(it's a bit thirsty) but I like to build them with the engine shown on the plan

Maybe it's just that I enjoy building such classics, so best of luck with your Quest, it is a lovely design

* Danny M *
May 24, 2019, 09:06 AM
Thread OP
There's a version of the Quest plan in this thread. And surely at some of the usual plans sites.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8#post20784183
Jun 11, 2019, 05:16 AM
Morologus es
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
Very carefully detailed, nice. Is that and Enya .29?
Yep - Enya .29 Speedo.

Please are finished now. I'll post pics soon.

Doc.
Jun 11, 2019, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Yep - Enya .29 Speedo.

Please are finished now. I'll post pics soon.

Doc.
Is that "Speedo" the 1960 single ballrace .29 Enya?
Jun 12, 2019, 12:12 PM
I know some of y'all are going to think I've got a problem .... well I s'pose I do . You see, back in May of 2017, when Mr. Locktite 401 shared the plan for the Challenger F2C/N, I told myself that I was going to build one .... someday . Well a few months ago, one of the fellows on the Cox International site proposed a contest using Cox 1/2A engines. That lit the fire to build the Challenger, albeit highly modified . I took the Challenger plan and had it reduced by 40% thus yielding something that I felt was the right size for a Cox .049 engine. During the construction process, I ended up making a slight change so that I could mount a Cox Tee Dee .049 swinging an APC 4.5x4 prop rather than the Black Widow that I originally thought to use .

Well, folks, here it is .... my "Mini Challenger" !! At a final ready -to-fly weight of 5.2 ounces (dry), I took it out for it's initial flight tests. With the help of my flying buddies, when we could get the Tee Dee to run it seemed to do pretty well . It was a joy to see it in the air and it seemed to do pretty well with a calculated average speed of about 55 mph.

One thing is for sure however, it has absolutely NO glide !! That thing comes out of the air faster than it gets in the air . After the usual group discussion session, we agreed that it was nose heavy so we superglued a dime to the rear, underside of the plane to give it another try. Naturally, nothing we did seemed to work to get the engine to run again although the plug was good, the fuel was good and we could hear it sizzling . Well, after about half an hour or so, we just packed it up and called it quits for the time being .

Nevertheless, it was a fun project, that's for sure. Hopefully, as I gain more reliability with the engine, it will last long enough for some awesome flights.!!
Jun 12, 2019, 06:59 PM
Nice effort! Those peripheral fed Cox TD assemblies do need constant cleaning and the fuel filtered. I use them in diesel powered team race engines. The secret seems to be to clean them before every flying session. Make sure that all the holes (there's lots of 'em) are unblocked. That's most likely the source of your starting problems providing the engine has good fits etc.
Jun 14, 2019, 07:46 AM
Thanks Mr Locktite! I'll heed your word before my next try. 🙂

Quick Reply