Oct 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Really? Another DIY antenna tracker?

Here is the latest incarnation of my custom designed antenna tracker for use with the popular Eagletree FPV station. It's gone through many (and I mean many) revisions. The current version sports a stepper motor for pan with a custom arduino/pololu controller and features the sturdy HS-645MG on the tilt. I designed the parts in openscad and printed them on my 3d printers. All the parts are 3d printed including the gears. I designed the PCB for the controller in Eagle and routed it on my faithful cnc router. This has been a fun project so far and would like to thank those of you who PM'd me various tips. Following are some pics and me blabbing about it in more detail. Enjoy!

Brendin

Antenna tracker more progress (4 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
Nice one. I'm just doing the same. Just finished the programing my arduino. Thought of use a stepper for pan also. Will keep watching this.
Oct 28, 2011, 07:12 AM
Engineer for Christ
A stepper motor! Nice work. Steppers are great devices. What is your resolution? Do you have 360 degree coverage? I wish I had your machining and programming skill. I made mone completely analog because I have about as many computer skills as a 5 year old...

-Alex
Oct 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
Nice one. I'm just doing the same. Just finished the programing my arduino. Thought of use a stepper for pan also. Will keep watching this.
I'd love to read/see the details on yours. Perhaps we can share some ideas on the code.

Brendin
Oct 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
A stepper motor! Nice work. Steppers are great devices. What is your resolution? Do you have 360 degree coverage? I wish I had your machining and programming skill. I made mone completely analog because I have about as many computer skills as a 5 year old...

-Alex
Thanks Alex. I have more than 360 degree coverage...I could easily do 520deg but haven't had a chance to play with the fpv station yet to see what it supports. After I try I'll post the details.
Oct 29, 2011, 11:09 AM
O_- my face when you said 3d printer. O_O my face when you panned over to 3d printer....GASP... me likey!!!!!! man so cool!!!!!!

looking nice. that antenna pans SOO smooth and fluid.
Also nice case for the Eagle eyes. You could seriously sell those cases you make. They are really nice.

On a side note: man do I love pololu. they ship stuff so quick and its dirt cheap.
Last edited by g3f0rc3; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Oct 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron
I'd love to read/see the details on yours. Perhaps we can share some ideas on the code.

Brendin
Certainly pm sent
Oct 30, 2011, 07:33 AM
Are those reprap printers? What unit and how do you like them? How strong is the finished product and how long did it take to print the enclosure?
Nov 04, 2011, 02:39 AM
Suspended Account
Looks like the dimension3d printer output but that's definitely not one of their printers. Did you build it yourself? I have a 1200es BST printer.

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-...nting-bst.aspx

Looks good.
Nov 04, 2011, 04:23 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron
I designed the parts in openscad and printed them on my 3d printers. All the parts are 3d printed including the gears.
Do you let us know what 3d printer you are using?

TIA

Markus
Nov 04, 2011, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
The printers are reprap prusa's with lm8uu bearings on x,y and z. I designed a lot of the parts on them such as the x carriage, Y bed and holders and the z/x carriages. I can get pretty good prints with them.
Nov 04, 2011, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
another update...

antenna tracker update (1 min 50 sec)
Nov 09, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
I added the second antenna...printed a new mount arm....Found nice short RCA cables on ebay. I had made my own out of RG6 but they were a bit stiff.
Jan 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
I tried to pm you, but your box is full...
Jan 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
I didn't even realize it was full... just cleared up some space.

Quick Reply