BIG 48" Sbach 342 - Full Fuse, True Airfoil, 3D - Video Added!!! - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
Discussion

BIG 48" Sbach 342 - Full Fuse, True Airfoil, 3D - Video Added!!!

UPDATE: 2nd FLIGHT....Man, I LOVE this hobby!!!!!!!!
SNice Sbach 342 - 48" R/C Scratchbuild (11 min 36 sec)

I'm well into this project and it is going great so far! This is a 48" version of my 34" Sbach 342 3D -- aka the "SNice-bach". The main difference between the two is that this one is much larger and sports a built up wing with a symetric airfoil. Can't wait to get this one in the air!

Here is the thread for the 34" version:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1425930

I am finally at the point where the project is starting to resemble the model I am intending to build so I have posted a few pics below.

This is the largest and most scale plane I have built so far. It is also the first time I have used a built up wing.

More to follow -- Including plans, wing templates, videos, and build pics...
Last edited by SNice; Dec 20, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
I used to like trees
Looks good SNice. I recently finished the box fuse SBach and love it. Will the wings be detachable on the 48"?
Oct 26, 2011, 11:51 PM
Gone Fly'n
Very cool...I'm watch'n
Oct 27, 2011, 01:36 AM

Beautiful ....

....Sbach .....I starting my own ( using 3D model as plan ) at 48" ws. Look forward to see yours...( for inspiration )
Oct 27, 2011, 02:10 AM
Zen in the art of foam
Very nice build! Was the pink foam hot wired or carved?
Oct 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks Guys,

To answer a few of the questions...

Yes, the wings will be detachable -- with a 48" wingspan, that will be the only way I could safely transport it and store it. I would really like the tail to be removable too but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

The foam I have used in this plane is Dollar tree foamboard, 3/4" pink insulation foam, and white insulation foam (I think it is EPP (?)). I only have a small, handheld wire cutter so I am limited in what I can cut. The wire is only about 5-6" across. So it is mostly carving and sanding, and wire cutting when I can. When I post fuse pics, you will be able to see details of the fuse construction much better. In a nutshell, the lower half of the fuse is box fuse construction, and the upper part of the fuse and the nose are carved.
Oct 27, 2011, 08:18 PM
Did you say up or down?

Subscribed

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think I love you

E.
Oct 28, 2011, 04:40 PM
lol!...added pics showing fuse progress. Also added the wing panels to the plans. The plan is just a blown up version of my 34" Sbach. I did the nose a bit different with this on and I also made it much sturdier.... Once I can clean them up a bit more, I will post the full plan...
Oct 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
Did you say up or down?
I thought that piece of styrofoam behind the box fuse was your version of a lizard monster Took me a minute to figure out it was your rough canopy structure

I give you the next two days off work to spend on this plane!

Lookin' good!

E.
Oct 28, 2011, 11:37 PM
Lol! Thanks, RedRanger! I does look like a lizard monster! That pic was taken as the rough fuse halves were being glued together. The "legs" of the monster are just foam scraps that I used to protect the fuse from damage while I held them together with tape. I really would like to do a "glass" canopy but I need to read up on the process!

Pics below show size comparison next to the 34" Kfm4 version...
Oct 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
Did you say up or down?
Awwww, isn't that cute! The little one is flexing his wings

E.
Nov 01, 2011, 11:25 AM
Inspired by Scott Sbach I started my own . Some build pics ( with Scott permission - thank's ) :