Thread Tools
Jan 17, 2013, 03:09 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
I wish I could have got my heavy layup model as light as yours. As it stands, the CG is at 67mm. I have one 285 in the nose, a pair of pre-installed 09s in the wings and a single cell Shred 650 in the nose. It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? Even my heavily beat up, used, standard layup Polaris with similar equipment weighs about the same but it's CG is 11mm farther back.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
M Seid
M Seid's Avatar
The surgeon general warns about scale sharing...

This is a light layup. The wing after painting was 108 g less servos. I use a 2s lipo and a DS 188 with ATX 6ch fhss 3 rx with the case off. A little lead in the nose.

My std layup is about 9.7, and my fully painted (with a rudder) heavy layup is 10.2.



All planes are at 68mm.
Jan 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
M Seid
M Seid's Avatar
BTW- I got my new fuse today from MMT. New tails are going on with .... wait for it .... a wing AND tails with pumpkin accents.... pics later tonight.
Jan 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
Team USA F3F Member
ttraver's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
BTW- I got my new fuse today from MMT. New tails are going on with .... wait for it .... a wing AND tails with pumpkin accents.... pics later tonight.
Do they actually have little pumpkins drawn on them?

Would that be Douchy enough???
Jan 17, 2013, 03:52 PM
Where did my plane go???
HHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I wish I could have got my heavy layup model as light as yours. As it stands, the CG is at 67mm. I have one 285 in the nose, a pair of pre-installed 09s in the wings and a single cell Shred 650 in the nose. It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? Even my heavily beat up, used, standard layup Polaris with similar equipment weighs about the same but it's CG is 11mm farther back.
Sounds like your scale is stuck at 10.4oz

HUGH
Jan 17, 2013, 04:16 PM
Throw it like you hate it
RCPC's Avatar
Wiz
AUW is a bit overemphasized with the Polaris. My std layup is a little over 10oz and I have never felt it too heavy. I fly it in dead air all the time and never feel handicapped. The Polaris carries weight very well and I think does better with weight for most all conditions. It has a big wing. A 10.4oz Polaris is a fine weight. My light layup at 8.5oz was almost too light for me. I found that when I flew my std layup in the very light conditions it gave up very little, if any, in dead air time compared to the light layup. The light layup is best for people without a lot of power on launch. A heavier plane can often launch higher if you are a good launcher. I could throw my std layup higher than my light layup. Your mileage may vary, however.
Paul
Jan 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
Registered User
NorCal Hobbies's Avatar
Awesome. World Champion Colors.

The 2 "standards" are Vlad? and the Heavy is Textreme..... I would be flying the heavy as my primary. Not a bad weight at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
For some reason I'm partial to ORANGE


My 2013 Harem....

HUGH
Jan 17, 2013, 06:26 PM
Team ATX Pilot
dbone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
Wiz
AUW is a bit overemphasized with the Polaris. My std layup is a little over 10oz and I have never felt it too heavy. I fly it in dead air all the time and never feel handicapped. The Polaris carries weight very well and I think does better with weight for most all conditions. It has a big wing. A 10.4oz Polaris is a fine weight. My light layup at 8.5oz was almost too light for me. I found that when I flew my std layup in the very light conditions it gave up very little, if any, in dead air time compared to the light layup. The light layup is best for people without a lot of power on launch. A heavier plane can often launch higher if you are a good launcher. I could throw my std layup higher than my light layup. Your mileage may vary, however.
Paul
Dito on what Paul said. Which is why I sold the Light Polaris. Much better for people with with a lower launch. Don't get me wrong any Polaris is a great airframe but I also can Launch a standard higher.
Donnie
Jan 17, 2013, 06:31 PM
Where did my plane go???
HHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
Dito on what Paul said. Which is why I sold the Light Polaris. Much better for people with with a lower launch. Don't get me wrong any Polaris is a great airframe but I also can Launch a standard higher.
Donnie
+ 3 on what they said..

Now get to sleep man! you gotta wake up early to go play.

HUGH
Jan 17, 2013, 06:33 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I wish I could have got my heavy layup model as light as yours. As it stands, the CG is at 67mm. I have one 285 in the nose, a pair of pre-installed 09s in the wings and a single cell Shred 650 in the nose. It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? Even my heavily beat up, used, standard layup Polaris with similar equipment weighs about the same but it's CG is 11mm farther back.
Do yourself a favour and buy a better set of scales.

You don't need to spend a lot of cash, less than $20

http://dx.com/s/scales
Jan 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
Where did my plane go???
HHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Do yourself a favour and buy a better set of scales.

You don't need to spend a lot of cash, less than $20

http://dx.com/s/scales


HUGH
Jan 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
..............It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? ..........
calibrate it with these!

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...specifications
Jan 17, 2013, 11:55 PM
M Seid
M Seid's Avatar
Pumpkin accents done. Racing stripes on Stabs and cars are ok, but no where else will they be tolerated.
Jan 18, 2013, 12:00 AM
M Seid
M Seid's Avatar

The don Johnson


Douchery happens.
Jan 18, 2013, 12:04 AM
M Seid
M Seid's Avatar
Pink gap seal makes 6 year olds like airplanes, which grants virtually unlimited license to glue anywhere in the house. Spray paint is cool. Sorry used to be green plants in the backyard.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Rudderless launches isoarthenland Hand Launch 19 Sep 15, 2011 10:11 PM
Wanted Bagged, Rudderless DLG Tailset thumbhead Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 22, 2011 08:22 PM
Sold Twister-1 DLG (ARF + Ballast + Swindell Rudderless) Kai@UCSB Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 4 Jul 25, 2011 07:34 PM
FS Rudderless Art Hobby Bobolink DLG amike_321 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Feb 07, 2004 08:30 PM