Aug 09, 2012, 08:17 AM

My Y650 Setup

This is my Y650 Scorpion build from HobbyKing. I missed a few pictures because I was anxious to complete it. Parts list below. Enjoy!

HobbyKing Y650 Scorpion Kit
HobbyKing Quad Power Distribution Board
HK Single 4mm Male to 4x3.5mm Female Adapter
305mm Gold Bullet Connectors
DJI-NAZA and GPS
6 RcTimer 2212/15 930kv Motors
6 RcTimer 30Amp ESC's
Extra Cable to Extend ESC's
3Cell 5000Mah 25c LIPO
GAUI 10" Props

Any suggestions for prop size? I’m only getting 5 min flight time. I hear that if the upper props are larger that it will increase efficiency.

Maybe a few more things but who's counting. Hopefully not my wife lol.
Y650 SCORPION HOBBYKING BUILD (3 min 44 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
my wife supports my hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAdams
Can you take a picture of how your landing feet attach to the legs and post? I like the double feet on the Y650 looks like they add to the stability of the aircraft.

Thanks,
Chuck
here's the picture

Last edited by pnoy; Aug 10, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Aug 11, 2012, 01:41 AM
Is this kit from HK come with nuts and bolts plus spacers if not
NO GOOD to me because I did not get any.

Another for the caboard bin xxxxed OFF
Aug 11, 2012, 03:03 AM
Thanx pnoy
That's the kit I got BUT no screws and spacers
Aug 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
on the edge
Has anyone found the empty frame weight to be considerably higher than the 410 grams that is advertised?

I am working on combing two of these airframes into a Hex. I am not using all parts from both kits but the empty weight is already at 985 grams weighing all of the frame parts I will be using. This thing is going to be a flying brick.
Aug 15, 2012, 03:57 AM
Scorpion where are you gone
Aug 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
Novellara (RE) ITALY

Motor direction

Hi all.
Sry for newbie.
I've got the scorpion frame and now i'd like to know which motors to install because i don't understand well which is the problem to put the bottom motors.
I can't simply to reverse the motors and fix it like those above?
Perhaps the shaft must rotate in the same way, is it so?
Hobbyking reccommanded Turnigy SK3, but reading the post i have (or can) in the bottom motors to cut the shaft off and use the bolt-on propeller mount, right? Can you learn me why please?
Thanks again
Aug 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
Dreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello62
Hi all.
Sry for newbie.
I've got the scorpion frame and now i'd like to know which motors to install because i don't understand well which is the problem to put the bottom motors.
I can't simply to reverse the motors and fix it like those above?
Perhaps the shaft must rotate in the same way, is it so?
Hobbyking reccommanded Turnigy SK3, but reading the post i have (or can) in the bottom motors to cut the shaft off and use the bolt-on propeller mount, right? Can you learn me why please?
Thanks again
Hi Cello62,
With the y6 the motors mount back to back, so there is not enough space if the motors have a shaft coming out of the "fixed" (or mounting end) of the motor. You need to use a motor with a bolt on, or a shaft coming out of the bell end of the motor.
Collets or bolt on propeller mount are fine.
To reverse motor direction just swap any 2 of the 3 motor wires.
The bottom motors should spin the correct direction when viewed from above the Y6 and the propellers should be mounted with the writing on them facing the sky (upwards).
Hope this helps.

Mark
Aug 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Need some advice,

I am going to order up the y650 Scorpion frame from Hobby King and I would like to use the Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV motor with the 30 Amp Blue series ESC, and the 10X6 props. Also I was thinking about the HK Atmega 328 PA Control Board with the USB AVR Programming device, and the HK distribution board. I hope with the Turnigy motors I do not have to be reversing shafts!!

I realize this is a lot to go over, but any advice would sure be helpful. I see a lot of different set ups being used on this frame. I am looking for something easy to fly and not to complicated. One last stipulation! I want to purchase all Hobby King parts so I eliminate a lot of running around and additional freight!

Thank you all for any input you could give me! It is appreciated!

Rob
twwd
Aug 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Dreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd
Need some advice,

I am going to order up the y650 Scorpion frame from Hobby King and I would like to use the Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV motor with the 30 Amp Blue series ESC, and the 10X6 props. Also I was thinking about the HK Atmega 328 PA Control Board with the USB AVR Programming device, and the HK distribution board. I hope with the Turnigy motors I do not have to be reversing shafts!!

I realize this is a lot to go over, but any advice would sure be helpful. I see a lot of different set ups being used on this frame. I am looking for something easy to fly and not to complicated. One last stipulation! I want to purchase all Hobby King parts so I eliminate a lot of running around and additional freight!

Thank you all for any input you could give me! It is appreciated!

Rob
twwd
The combination that you describe sounds good. The Hobbyking KK2 flight control board is getting some good comments and is pretty easy to set up.
Shafts would not need to be reversed on the D2836/8 motors that you mentioned. Just use the collets, and if need be, cut the motor shafts a little shorter so that the collets sit down onto the motor bell. Rough up the shaft with some coarse sand paper will give the collets a little better grip.
Aug 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
Mark (hope I have your name right)

Thank you for getting back to me! This really seems t be a great build blog for the y650 Scorpion, with some very good people that are willing to share there knowledge and expertise on this frame! I know I will be back with a lot more questions as I progress on my Scorpion!

Thank you again for taking the time to give me your input!

twwd
Rob
Aug 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
Dreamer
No worries Rob,
The only comment with the motors that you mentioned is that they are on the upper end of the size for this Y6. But ... it does mean it will continue to fly happily after loosing 1 motor (would actually fly with 2 out if they were the right 2), as there is plenty of reserve power.

Mark
Aug 18, 2012, 02:50 PM
Mark or,

How does this look for the motors and ESC,s set up for the Scorpion!

RCTimer BC 2212/12-930KV motors
RCTimer 30A ESC

I have never used any RCTimer products, what do you guys think!?

twwd
Rob
Aug 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
Novellara (RE) ITALY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104
Hi Cello62,
With the y6 the motors mount back to back, so there is not enough space if the motors have a shaft coming out of the "fixed" (or mounting end) of the motor. You need to use a motor with a bolt on, or a shaft coming out of the bell end of the motor.
Hope this helps.

Mark
Ty for reply
So if i understand well
this is the problem right?

And this one would be fine right?
Sunnysky X2212-980KV

RCTimer 2830-14 750KV

Ty again
Aug 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
Ty,

That is what Mark was talking about! No shaft protrusion.

Rob

Quick Reply