Oct 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
New Product

Solo Pro 270, successor to the Solo Pro V1/V2 and Bravo SX

Nine Eagles apparently decided to revamp the Solo Pro, and is coming with the Solo Pro 270.

The head setup seems more similar to the Trex 100, mSR and GW9958, but a closer study reveals the swash connects directly to the blades, and not first to the flybar, like on the other helis mentioned.

The swash plate now has the guidance pin pointing backwards, and not angled 45 degrees sideways. Stock lipo is 150 mAh and the main shaft seems metal now. How this translates to flying performance, no idea. But any news is welcome in this topic.

The manual can be downloaded as well. This reveals a dampened feathering shaft with 0-rings, so no more sheared off blade pivots. The battery is inserted the same way as on the Bravo SX, connector facing forward. And the swash also has a ball in the center, to keep it more locked on the main shaft, just like on the Xtreme metal swash.

Transmitter can be changed from mode 1 to mode 2, but not as easily as on the "classic" Solo Pro TX, with just one single screw to be loosened and fixed again after moving the antenna. Both sticks can be removed as a single unit, after removing 4 screws, and then turned 180 degrees, and put back again.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 05, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2011, 06:40 PM
Brosol
The NE 270 reminds of a Bravo SX based build with Xtreme feathered shaft head & metal swash ball as stock features. Maybe NE 270 parts can be used to upgrade stock Solo Pro/Bravo SX....cheaper than Xtreme parts.

I wish they used a Bell Hiller FB instead but perhaps moot if a FBL version is released to match the MSR X.
Last edited by Brosol; Oct 25, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Oct 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol
The NE 270 reminds of a Bravo SX based build with Xtreme feathered shaft head & metal swash ball as stock features. Maybe NE 270 parts can be used to upgrade stock Solo Pro/Bravo SX....cheaper than Xtreme parts.

I wish they used a Bell Hiller FB instead but perhaps moot if a FBL version is released to match the MSR X.
The swash might be usable, although you would have to relocate the guidance pin, which is facing straight backwards of the 270, but sideways at 45 degree on the Solo Pro "classic". Perhaps you can build a "Frankenswash" from a 270 and V2 swash.

I doubt NE will release a true Bell Hiller version, this would have been the moment to do that. I expect the next incarnation of the SP at this size to be FBL indeed.
Oct 28, 2011, 02:15 AM
Team Drone Art
Actually, it's pretty easy to move the swash pin guides on the Solo Pro/Bravo SX frame.

Just remove swash pin guide from frame. Then smooth out the notch that mate with the groove in the frame. Now, twist the swash pin guide till it is centered. CA in place. Should be a solid hold.

I feel like the 270 has it's place...but it should have came out during the time the Trex100s debut. Now, FBL seems to be the way to go. Nine Eagles has all the pieces of the puzzle. Not sure what they are waiting for. Coming out after Horizon Hobby will always give Nine Eagle that stigma of being a copy cat.
Oct 28, 2011, 06:15 AM
Thread OP
Doesn't the location of the guidance pin affect the behaviour of the cyclic response?
Oct 30, 2011, 06:38 AM

Guidance

The guidance pin's only job is to avoid the swash turning; from the friction forces of the bearing, which are quite low.
It is not part of the liver mechanics of the actual steering - so the new position should not make any difference (whereas other changes in the rotor might).
Nov 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
Is it just me or does the clearance between the tail boom and the flybar seems insufficient as per the NE's tradition to have flybar strikes on their FP helis? Hard to tell from the picture, but I do remember looking at the 328 in my hands and thinking that there was no way the flybar would strike to tail boom. But no, once you have the heli in the air, g force bends the flybar and tock tock tock. Flybar strikes, especially when forcing left banked turns. It's an abomination in design repeated heli after heli....

I sold all my NE helis. The 328, the SP, the Bravo SX and the Free Spirit 220a. Two are in Australia, one is in Paris and the other is in Arizona. I had them all modded, and frankly, they are fun helis but after using a decent TX, the stiff sticks on the toy like NE TXs really bummed me out, and more importantly, I never flew them enough so my batteries were going to go bad on me. Having to buy batteries again just for the odd flight wasn't appealing. So off they went to their new owners who apparently enjoy them in their turn. I do not miss them, though...

I'll wait to hear user's report on this heli and I might be interested in one for indoor flying and odd outdoor escapades if NE finally addressed the flybar strikes that are a drain on the SP, the 328 and the Bravo SX experience. As for the Free Spirit 220a, it needed a new rotor head every 3 flights at best so that's quite reprehensible.

I notice that the SP 270 went back to a straight tail boom like the first version of SPs. They moved the tail motor above the boom on this one, though. Maybe this is to address the flybar strikes while retaining better flight characteristics noted in the second version of the SP with the angled tail boom which elevates the tail motor.

All in all, I think this will be a good entry level heli as NE tends to be affordable and quite durable. But hopefully NE ironed out the bloody flybar strikes.

And what is that I hear about a new TX for this heli? Any pictures available? I couldn't find any.

Regards,
Chris
Last edited by bobepine; Nov 01, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Nov 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
My name is Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine
[...]And what is that I hear about a new TX for this heli? Any pictures available? I couldn't find any.

Regards,
Chris
Should be the same of this one for the new Bell 206 (328 with scale fuselage)

Nov 01, 2011, 10:50 PM
NE has really got to get their act together. They have now potentially got 3 badly received releases in a row: 328, 180D and possibly the 100D. Their brand image has been seriously affected by this. Not only that, the Solo Pro, which is their bread and butter, is being seriously challenged as well by very cheap clones.
Nov 02, 2011, 02:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
NE has really got to get their act together. They have now potentially got 3 badly received releases in a row: 328, 180D and possibly the 100D. Their brand image has been seriously affected by this. Not only that, the Solo Pro, which is their bread and butter, is being seriously challenged as well by very cheap clones.
I think on the FP helis they are too focused on the head design of the "classic" Solo Pro, not realizing it doesn't work that well when scaling up (328). The 100D suffers a little from the Genius CP, which even seems to surpass the praised mCP-x. Hard to match that on a first CP release. I think their best move would be to release a flybarless version of the Solo Pro/270.
Nov 02, 2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
I think on the FP helis they are too focused on the head design of the "classic" Solo Pro, not realizing it doesn't work that well when scaling up (328). The 100D suffers a little from the Genius CP, which even seems to surpass the praised mCP-x. Hard to match that on a first CP release. I think their best move would be to release a flybarless version of the Solo Pro/270.
There are other problems as well, such transmitter not compatible between different models, and also having one model memory only. Sure the Genius CP didn't help and not did the reduction of the MCPx RTF price to $170. But it seems that the 100D is not really ready for release. There seems to be at least 3 different versions with either metal or CF main shaft, and fixed or pop-in main gear. What I think Nine Eagles need is to get a few really good partners to help out.
Jan 04, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hi,
I'm planning on buying a 4 channel heli. Should I wait for the Solo Pro 270 or just get the Solo Pro v2?
Jan 04, 2012, 01:14 AM
Flybar=FAIL

Where is Nine Eagle's answer to the MSR x???

*edit* smail, just get the v2. It flies very well (I own 2) and you can get cheap replacement parts from the v911.
Last edited by bytemuncher; Jan 04, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Jan 05, 2012, 01:13 AM
Sorry, I'm new, but are there going to be any major flight characteristic differences between the Solo Pro and the Solo Pro 270?
Jan 05, 2012, 01:22 AM
I don't know anyone who has flown the the 270 so difficult to say. However, if I were you I would pass on the solo pro and get the v911. It can bind to a turnigy 9x radio which is programmable. Even if you don't need this or even care about this in the beginning it is important as it will allow you to progress in this hobby should you want.

Quick Reply