Dec 20, 2011, 07:45 AM
I have a 110" Rascal I bought because I wanted one and thought they wouldn't be making them again!!!!!! SO this is great news they are, in case I mess this one up!!! I haven't been working on it, just glued in the horizontal and vertical stabs, I would like to put the servos in the tail, going to power it with:

E-Flite 110, 100 amp Castle ESC, 2 4s packs....I just need to get these parts and a motor mount and start working!!! If I can find the time!!!

ITs GOING TO BE A GREAT DAY WHEN THIS BABY FLIES!!!!! I can't wait....thats my motavation to get on it and build it!!!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub
Is Sig chinese made planes? I tought it was all the way american!
I am not nearly as familiar with the Rascal history as most others on this thread and others. That being said, I am fairly confident that the plane was designed and prototypes built here in the US, with production outsourced.

The math is really pretty simple. With minimum wage here in the US at $7.25/hr (I think, is anybody here sure?), how much time would it take to build a Giant Scale Rascal? Even if your materials cost ZERO, and assuming you can find skilled craftsmen (craftspeople ?) willing to work for minimum wage, you are still going to lose money.

When growing up, the cheapest way to get in the air was scratch building, followed by kits, and the new fangeled arfs were very expensive. After leaving the hobby for ten years of active full scale flying, I returned to find the order reversed 180 degrees! There are probably few kit makers and even fewer ARFs made in the US. Is Procter or anybody else still at it?

Cheers!

SLCPilot
Dec 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
KJ4YNM
Woohoo! They charged my card today, so it should be en route!!
Dec 21, 2011, 04:26 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys
I have a 110" Rascal I bought because I wanted one and thought they wouldn't be making them again!!!!!! SO this is great news they are, in case I mess this one up!!! I haven't been working on it, just glued in the horizontal and vertical stabs, I would like to put the servos in the tail, going to power it with:

E-Flite 110, 100 amp Castle ESC, 2 4s packs....I just need to get these parts and a motor mount and start working!!! If I can find the time!!!

ITs GOING TO BE A GREAT DAY WHEN THIS BABY FLIES!!!!! I can't wait....thats my motavation to get on it and build it!!!
Consider a Power 160 with a 10 cell set up. You won't regret it!
Dec 21, 2011, 05:24 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet
Consider a Power 160 with a 10 cell set up. You won't regret it!
I gotta agree..mine is running the equivalent of a Power 160 on 10s and it is amazing!!!
Dec 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
How does this thing fly? Like a cub ?
Dec 22, 2011, 12:11 AM
Mark
They fly really well. Makes my dave patrick Super Cub seem like a dog.
Dec 22, 2011, 06:21 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub
How does this thing fly? Like a cub ?
It flies like a Rascal!!

Seriously, though, I would compare it to Four Star 120, or a Ultra Sport 1000, or a giant scale Super Sportster.

Basically, its a great flying sport plane wearing the disguise of a old-timer
Dec 22, 2011, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
I gotta agree..mine is running the equivalent of a Power 160 on 10s and it is amazing!!!
Cool....if yall say so....I might go with this set up!!!
Dec 22, 2011, 09:58 AM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys
Cool....if yall say so....I might go with this set up!!!
It is a no brainer to me!
Dec 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
Official Boat Bum
If you guys would not mind please post a few pics of what's in the box and a construction picture or two.
Dec 22, 2011, 03:05 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Just received my new Rascal 110. The box was not crushed and all the contents look good so far. Beside the addition of flaps SIG has went to Robart style hinges which I'm glad to see because I switched all of mine to this style of hinge when the CA hinges started giving away on the old Rascal. I do not like that the hinges are pre-installed and glued in. The limit of travel is minimal. The wheel pants now do not have the seam line that was visable on the old Rascal. The quality still looks as good as the original Rascal 110. Only time will tell as I get deeper into the build but so far the first impressions are good.
Dec 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
Congratulation! Looks like great quality on this ARF!
Dec 22, 2011, 06:44 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezippi
Beside the addition of flaps SIG has went to Robart style hinges which I'm glad to see because I switched all of mine to this style of hinge when the CA hinges started giving away on the old Rascal. I do not like that the hinges are pre-installed and glued in. The limit of travel is minimal.
I also have built a couple of these in the past and I think I also had a CA hinge break on one of the ailerons. Just to clarify my old brain cells, are both the ailerons and flaps the Robart style hinges and they are both pre-glued? I know the rudder can't be pre-glued, but is the elevator pre-glued? What kind of hinges are on the elevator and rudder?

If the new one is anything like the old one, It goes together easily. The wing is a two piece wing. The tail feathers have to be epoxied on. If I remember correctly the elevator HAS to be installed before the rudder. The wing struts ARE structural and MUST be used. The screws that hold the wing struts on just need to be snug. Don't over tighten them or you may strip out the blind nuts.
Dec 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
KJ4YNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezippi
Just received my new Rascal 110. The box was not crushed and all the contents look good so far. Beside the addition of flaps SIG has went to Robart style hinges which I'm glad to see because I switched all of mine to this style of hinge when the CA hinges started giving away on the old Rascal. I do not like that the hinges are pre-installed and glued in. The limit of travel is minimal. The wheel pants now do not have the seam line that was visable on the old Rascal. The quality still looks as good as the original Rascal 110. Only time will tell as I get deeper into the build but so far the first impressions are good.
Sweet!! Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.