Thread Tools
Jan 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
Skypan did you get one of the new ones or an old one? Mine didn't have one wrinkle on it. The first shipment of the new ones didn't even fill the back orders.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler747
Skypan did you get one of the new ones or an old one? Mine didn't have one wrinkle on it. The first shipment of the new ones didn't even fill the back orders.
This is one of the new ones as it has flaps on it, the HS I bought it from said they received it about a month or so ago.
Jan 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
Registered User
If I wind up going with the PTE-36 gas on this I was looking at the Beila Red/White 3 blade prop here
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/BP1710-3.html

Looks like that size 17X10 may work with this eng and may look pretty Cool with a nice TT spinner

What ya think?
Jan 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Electric or Bust!
skyjet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero
Floats are cut out. Next up is to run a dado down the top center to put in a hardwood spline and to add hard points at the step and the back end. The one on the back end is for mounting the water rudder. The one at the step is just to make the step solid.

Then, once my balsa order gets in, I will sheet them and then finish. Don't think I will fiberglass, probably just paint.
Your floats look great!
Jan 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
Registered User
I wish we had more/any places that were remotely close to use floats, they sure make a plane look good.

The local club does have One float fly a yr ( I think ) at a med size pond.
Jan 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Electric or Bust!
skyjet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12
I wish we had more/any places that were remotely close to use floats, they sure make a plane look good.

The local club does have One float fly a yr ( I think ) at a med size pond.
I only fly mine twice a year. Joe Nall and a float fly in Columbia, SC in Oct. It sure is fun though.
Jan 26, 2012, 06:05 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12

Pretty cold here in Northern IL so I have some time, I have been looking at that PTE-36 and that is on of the considerations, if the measurements are accurate on one of the websites looks like it will fit in the cowl real nice.
This is good to know. I don't have a airframe so I wasn't even sure if the PTE would fit. I'll be watching your posts to see if you do indeed go with the PTE. Unless something better pops up real soon the PTE will be my choice for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12
If I wind up going with the PTE-36 gas on this I was looking at the Beila Red/White 3 blade prop here
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/BP1710-3.html

Looks like that size 17X10 may work with this eng and may look pretty Cool with a nice TT spinner

What ya think?
Love that prop, I'm sure performance will be decent and I know static looks on the ground will be great
Jan 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKopter
This is good to know. I don't have a airframe so I wasn't even sure if the PTE would fit. I'll be watching your posts to see if you do indeed go with the PTE. Unless something better pops up real soon the PTE will be my choice for sure.


Love that prop, I'm sure performance will be decent and I know static looks on the ground will be great
Looking at the dimensions here
http://www.Ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...028&pd=4500826 and measuring the fire wall on my old one the PTE-36 should fit, I will be posting pics of my progress to let all know how it goes.

I am hoping that the performance of the 17X10 Beila will give me enough pull to do some Knife Edge, Love to see the Big Rascal doing that about 5' off the ground, to chicken to go any lower She should be a real Looker with that 3BP on her nose sitting on the ground .
Jan 26, 2012, 07:12 AM
Registered User
OK here is a Vid of the PTE-36 on test stand with the Beila 17X10 3B

PTE36R vs DLE-30 vs DM33 - RPM Test (2 min 37 sec)


6600 rpm is not to bad for that prop, I dont think,they do a rpm comparison between 2 other engs the DLE 30 and the DM 33 the PTE-36 was the highest.
Jan 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
KJ4YNM
RCPtero's Avatar
Cut the grooves for the hardwood spines. Also got my order of balsa in today.
Jan 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
olezippi's Avatar
I finally got a chance to work on my Rascal this morning. I got the rudder glued in, manual choke set up and secured in, and the cowl is cut and installed and came out really well. I haven't cut the hole yet for carb adjustments. I ran into a snag. Since the end of the crankshaft is not tapped for the spinner bolt I have no way to attached the spinner. Once I put the spinner back plate, prop, washer and nut there are no threads exposed to screw on an adapter.
Jan 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
KJ4YNM
RCPtero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezippi
I finally got a chance to work on my Rascal this morning. I got the rudder glued in, manual choke set up and secured in, and the cowl is cut and installed and came out really well. I haven't cut the hole yet for carb adjustments. I ran into a snag. Since the end of the crankshaft is not tapped for the spinner bolt I have no way to attached the spinner. Once I put the spinner back plate, prop, washer and nut there are no threads exposed to screw on an adapter.
Can't you use the adapter in place of the prop nut?
Jan 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
olezippi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero
Can't you use the adapter in place of the prop nut?

Yes, I probably can. I'll have to buy one and see. You see.....that's why I post questions here when my brain slips
Jan 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezippi
I finally got a chance to work on my Rascal this morning. I got the rudder glued in, manual choke set up and secured in, and the cowl is cut and installed and came out really well. I haven't cut the hole yet for carb adjustments. I ran into a snag. Since the end of the crankshaft is not tapped for the spinner bolt I have no way to attached the spinner. Once I put the spinner back plate, prop, washer and nut there are no threads exposed to screw on an adapter.
That is looking Great, I went with the PTE-36 should have that later next week we will see if that fits as nice as the yours under the cowl.
Jan 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
KJ4YNM
RCPtero's Avatar
Okay, got the spines cut for the floats. Had to make two out of walnut I had laying around since I had the first piece, which was going to make two spines, turned sideways when I was cutting it into the two separate pieces. Oh well, the walnut feels like it weighs about the same.
On the bright side, I've now given my blood token to the float project AND bloodied my new Shark saw in the process. And the saw is aptly named!! Thankfully, just a minor nick.

Next up is to drill holes for dowels to anchor the spines in place, then to glue them in and trim to length, tlen glue on the 1/16" ply transom and step reinforcement, and then on to sheeting with balsa.


Oh, and over the weekend, I picked up the aluminum for making the landing gear and cross braces.
--
Tom


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Sig Rascal 110 g wheeler Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 29, 2012 03:05 PM
For Sale Sig Rascal 110 g wheeler Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Sep 18, 2011 08:49 PM
For Sale Sig Rascal 110 g wheeler Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2011 08:55 PM
Sold Sig rascal 110 red/white lpu yates55 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Apr 15, 2011 06:06 PM
Sold Sig rascal 110 red/white lpu yates55 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Apr 15, 2011 06:05 PM