*Sig Rascal 110 Coming In November ???* - Page 16 - RC Groups
Jan 04, 2012, 10:32 PM
Good news (of sorts). It seems Syssa is alive and well and swamped with work. It also seems email is the way to get in touch with them. Todd of Syssa posted over in the FG forum. I do have a second engine to buy, maybe it will be a Syssa afterall.

While it would be nice to keep the DLE within the cowl, I am resigned to the possibility of creating a blister on the side of the cowl to contain the wrap around muffler. We'll see. I just hope the motor makes it home before I do!

Cheers!

SLPilot
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
Ok, something completely different. I am adding Tow Hook Release.
Rascal will be nice addition to my 4.8m/20 lbs. Minimoa.
http://www.espritmodel.com/tow-hook-...eavy-duty.aspx

I also found out that our 3 Fiberglass Spinner is perfect match for my Rascal.
http://www.espritmodel.com/bb-fiberg...ers-white.aspx

It will work well with XOAR White propeller.
http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-prop...hite-pjmw.aspx

Zb/Esprit Model
Jan 05, 2012, 12:00 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Esprit Model,

Nice setup. I'll be using the same 3 1/2" aluminum spinner I had on my first Rascal. It seemed to match the cowl pretty good.
Jan 05, 2012, 04:57 PM
Electric or Bust!

Maiden Flight

Well, I have a personal best. I received my Rascal 13 days ago, started putting it together and converting it to electric 10 days ago, and maidened it today. It was windy, but it was still a good day. Sorry I didn't get any good video, my cameraman didn't show up. I did have a camera mounted to my hat though. Hopefully I can get some soon. I even made some wing bags. I'll edit my hat camera video and post it latter. I set my mid flap setting to 1" down and full flaps to 1 3/4". It was really to windy to try the flaps, but I did anyway.
Jan 05, 2012, 05:31 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
skyjet,

Man that was a quick build. Nice looking. Can't wait to see the video on how this electric setup is for power. I won't be able to fly mine until Spring so that's why I'm not getting much done.
Jan 05, 2012, 06:04 PM
Skyjet,

That is totally incredible!!!! Mine is still in the box leaning against the wall. I haven't even decided what engine to put in it and you are flying!!!

Very, very, very nice!!!!

Can't wait for the full flight report, especially how the flaps performed on this gentle giant.

Skyjet, I tip my hat to you!!!
Jan 05, 2012, 06:35 PM
KJ4YNM
Congrats, Skyjet!

I was right behind you, but have let it slip a bit now that duty calls again. I'll get more done on her this weekend though. I did get my props today. These were on sale, in the right size range, and I had a gift card, so I ordered two of them. I'll throw my watt meter on to make sure they're in the right range once I get setup to do so. I think they're smaller than what is recommended for the motor, so I should be good. I don't have to pull every last watt out of the motor, so long as I get sufficient performance.
--
Tom
Jan 05, 2012, 07:32 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezippi
skyjet,

Man that was a quick build. Nice looking. Can't wait to see the video on how this electric setup is for power. I won't be able to fly mine until Spring so that's why I'm not getting much done.
A quick build is a first for me. I don't cut any corners so it usually takes me for ever. I have a Habu 32 that I got last March that I finished 2 months ago that I still haven't maidened. Too wet, too windy and the grass is too tall.
Jan 05, 2012, 07:36 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler747
Skyjet,

That is totally incredible!!!! Mine is still in the box leaning against the wall. I haven't even decided what engine to put in it and you are flying!!!

Very, very, very nice!!!!

Can't wait for the full flight report, especially how the flaps performed on this gentle giant.

Skyjet, I tip my hat to you!!!
It was quite windy today, so I really don't have a good feel for the flaps yet. I've been flying a Rascal for the last 7 years without the flaps, so I have to get used to them.
Jan 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero
Congrats, Skyjet!

I was right behind you, but have let it slip a bit now that duty calls again. I'll get more done on her this weekend though. I did get my props today. These were on sale, in the right size range, and I had a gift card, so I ordered two of them. I'll throw my watt meter on to make sure they're in the right range once I get setup to do so. I think they're smaller than what is recommended for the motor, so I should be good. I don't have to pull every last watt out of the motor, so long as I get sufficient performance.
--
Tom
I probably finished it so fast because I was trying to get the electric conversion info to you and others that are going to make the conversion. By the time I did that, I realized that there wasn't much left to do. This was my third Rascal build so I didn't have to read the manual much. Also I have my float Rascal to copy from.
Jan 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
Electric or Bust!
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure you will get the idea. You will here a noise from the plane that I'm trouble shooting. I've replaced the prop and tightened one wheel. It does not make any noise with a full power run-up on the ground and it only makes the noise at 2/3 throttle and above in the air. That is all I could think of for now. A couple of days ago the high was just 34, today is going to be 66. I'm heading back out to the field today. Hopefully I will have a cameraman today.
New Rascal 110 Maiden with flaps (7 min 42 sec)
Jan 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
skyjet,

Nice flight. I like the plane and I like the weather.
Jan 06, 2012, 03:44 PM
Electric or Bust!

Smoke

Well, I got some good news and I got some bad news. The good news is I found where my noise is coming from. The bad news is my new motor froze up (noise problem) and toasted the speed controller along with it. Oh well! Now I'm in the market for a new motor. I'm looking for a motor that will run on 12 cells and has a kv of around 200. My current motor mount is 49mm between mounting holes. Any ideas? It was a perfect day too.! Light wind and 62.
Jan 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Very nice flying Skyjet!!

Sorry to hear about your motor problems. Looked like the flaps slowed her down pretty good on the second landing.
Jan 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
skyjet,

Well, I guess it's a good thing it went toes up without a fire. I hate to see a new Rascal go up in flames. The wind passing over the wings sounds cool in the video. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on mine tomorrow.