Nov 04, 2011, 02:47 PM
hi, I read all 4 pages about hero2 but don't understand if hero2 has or not AV out and if is functional when recordig on SD card? My question is if the hero2 is good or not for FPV piloting? thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2011, 03:16 PM
Focus-Fixers for DJI Goggles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoi31
hi, I read all 4 pages about hero2 but don't understand if hero2 has or not AV out and if is functional when recordig on SD card? My question is if the hero2 is good or not for FPV piloting? thank you.
Yes it has AV out which functions simultaneously with recording HD to the SD card. See test results below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff
Just conducted a quick test to measure the live video out lag of both the original gopro hd and the gopro hd 2. While it was tough to properly capture hundredths of a second on the test screen due to phosphor persistence it appears that both versions of the camera have approximately 13ms of lag. Not too bad.
Also conducted some rather crude testing of how quick the cameras respond to rapid light changes. Gopro 2 adjusts roughly twice as fast as the original Gopro HD. Goodness.
Nov 04, 2011, 03:35 PM
thank you, this means I can use hero2 on my FPV plane without a second camera for piloting.
Nov 04, 2011, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff
Just conducted a quick test to measure the live video out lag of both the original gopro hd and the gopro hd 2. While it was tough to properly capture hundredths of a second on the test screen due to phosphor persistence it appears that both versions of the camera have approximately 13ms of lag. Not too bad.
Also conducted some rather crude testing of how quick the cameras respond to rapid light changes. Gopro 2 adjusts roughly twice as fast as the original Gopro HD. Goodness.
Thx for sharing your finding.
Nov 04, 2011, 06:05 PM
I did a quick test to compare the three GoPro2 FOV modes with my GoPro that has a RageCams 2.8mm lens. Both cameras were in the R5-1080/30fps modes.

GoPro2 FOV Comparisons-a.mp4 (1 min 26 sec)

-- Gary
Nov 05, 2011, 05:14 PM
Suspended Account
Is the new Gopro 2 worth the extra $89.
I can get the original one shiped free from Amazon for $209 now.
Nov 05, 2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
I did a quick test to compare the three GoPro2 FOV modes with my GoPro that has a RageCams 2.8mm lens. Both cameras were in the R5-1080/30fps modes.
http://youtu.be/GboZKZWN9Qc

-- Gary
Hi, thanks for the comparison.

Your ragecams lens does not look entirely in focus unless that's the best it can do? I am sure a stock gopro HD1 lens is sharper than that

Ragecams are funny. their 'special' gopro lenses are just normal megapixel 1/2" sensor IP camera lenses. If you look around you can buy the exact same lenses for about $5 not $50. I guess its a moot point for most now though as HD2 has adjustable FOV.

Josh
Nov 05, 2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb

Your ragecams lens does not look entirely in focus unless that's the best it can do? I am sure a stock gopro HD1 lens is sharper than that

Ragecams are funny. their 'special' gopro lenses are just normal megapixel 1/2" sensor IP camera lenses. If you look around you can buy the exact same lenses for about $5 not $50. I guess its a moot point for most now though as HD2 has adjustable FOV.

Josh
Josh,

wait a minute, are you saying that the GoPro will use lenses like this?

3.6mm 92 Degree Wide Angle CCTV Camera IR Board Lens for both 1/3" and 1/4" CCD
Nov 05, 2011, 05:36 PM
edit
Last edited by Joshbb; Dec 31, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Nov 05, 2011, 06:21 PM
Thank you, so this is the answer to the Fish Eye Syndrome!! Hooray!

I may just purchase one now.
Nov 05, 2011, 07:02 PM
Suspended Account
How do you change the lens on a gopro, I thought that they were fixed?
Nov 05, 2011, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Very carefully unscrewing and replacing. You need to take the case out, and spend a while focusing the new lens.
Nov 05, 2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb

Josh
Yes, it is out-of-focus still. I need to hook it up to a tv to set it better. I got a bit lazy. I actually think the Sunex lens is a lot sharper, especially in the corners. Mine got scratched, though, so I'm using the RageCams version.

Although it is not so apparent from these videos, the newer GoPro2 definitely works better in lower light levels. Another reason for going with the new version is that when the new wifi back is released, you wil be able to transmit live video to the ground, to like an iPhone or Android unit. Although this new wifi back will also fit the existing GoPros, and you will be able to control the camera from the ground, you won't be able to use it with live video.

-- Gary
Nov 06, 2011, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
Although it is not so apparent from these videos, the newer GoPro2 definitely works better in lower light levels....
-- Gary
here is a low light comparison (not mine) of the HD and HD2

GoPro HD1 HD2 low light test (1 min 22 sec)
Nov 06, 2011, 05:00 AM
Awaiting software update..
Thread OP
Joshbb wrote:
Quote:
This would though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2508553231...84.m1438.l2649

(Compare it to the Ragecam's 3.6mm GoPro megapixel sensor )

I think he has a few different sizes too.. the important bits to look for are an IR cut filter and that its for a 1/2" sensor

Is there an easy way to convert these lens sizes to what you know for a 35mm camera?

50mm = normal vision
28mm = wide-angle
135mm = telephoto etc.

CPF

Quick Reply