Oct 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
I'll mention the Optima 100" Electric. Had all the promise of a great ship but with the power systems of that day it was crazy heavy. Had to turn on the motor every 30 seconds to keep it in the air while sloping, then all that weight helped it self destruct on landings.

I must add that the bitterness is accentuated in that I was just out of school at the time, so every penny I used getting it into the air was painfully spent. I heard it flew ok as a no E pure glider. . .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
If you used the CG from the manual it was way nose heavy. Move the CG back and it opened that plane up. It can thermal well and slope well.

BTW, in its day it was revolutionary. One of the first composite planes. using different materials in the fiselage that were right for the area they were used in. rotationally molded polyentalene in the nose for great durability. Fiberglass molded boom to save weight. Styrene molding for the tail. 1/32 ply skin on top and 1/64 ply on bottom to save weight. Well thought out for it's day.

I bought my first one on 1978. Paid $150.00 for it. I thought I was crazy when most wood planed were under $25.00. In the emd it's one of the best investments I made in the hobby.

Mark
Oct 27, 2011, 12:16 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller
I bought my first one on 1978. Paid $150.00 for it. I thought I was crazy when most wood planed were under $25.00.
A quick jump to the dollars calculator and that would be $529 in today's dollars. The $25.00 kit becomes $88. That's about what 2m - standard size kits are going for. Was your Hawk a 2M version? $529 is a bit under but somewhat close to a high end molded ARF 2M.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Oct 28, 2011, 12:40 AM
Another vote for the Bob Martin Bob Cat being the worst glider.

However, it's followed closely by the Radian, which was such a POS that I sent it back without ever flying it.

And right behind that is the Airtronics Legend T-tail one of my friends had.

Of course, nothing stands much of a chance when you've owned a Lovesong.
Last edited by rogerflies; Oct 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM.
Oct 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Radian = beer cooler with a prop. I think that for what it is, it does alright.

I loved my Bobcat, but then again that was a part of my flying career when I thought a 3 minute flight was good.

I also loved my Legend, including the four pound lead puck that I poured for the noseweight. You're right, that was a tank too.

I never owned a lovesong but my mentor flew the daylights out of one. I'm building a Camano this winter just for kicks though.
Oct 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerflies
However, it's followed closely by the Radian, which was such a POS that I sent it back without ever flying it.
How could you know if you didn't fly it?

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Oct 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
How could you know if you didn't fly it?

Ryan
Ryan,

He's probably a Futaba guy so hates all things Horizon

tk
Oct 28, 2011, 09:53 AM

About the Radian

If the Radian is the worst, I wonder why the Radian thread in Electric Sailplanes has had more 600,000 views? Who knew that a recycled beer cooler could fly so well?
Oct 28, 2011, 10:05 AM
Strange, I have a blast flying my Radian, I would rate it one of the best models in many years, and definately for the money and zero time to get it in the air just adds to it's attractiveness, but then I also like my 8.4 meter H-Model ASH-31 which might just be in the top 3 of any scale glider ever made, but what do I know?
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Oct 28, 2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck
If the Radian is the worst, I wonder why the Radian thread in Electric Sailplanes has had more 600,000 views? Who knew that a recycled beer cooler could fly so well?
I assume his post was simple trolling ...

Everyone has an opinion, like eveyone has an ... I don't have to finish that, do I?

tk
Oct 28, 2011, 10:24 AM
Play loud, Fly high

Worst?

I am curious as to why some NATS winning designs are listed in this thread. Could construction/setup/pilot skill be more the issue. Someone mentioned that flying a sailplane outside its design envelope turned it into a pig, DUH!
My megabuck moldie suffers from this same issue. I am sure the manufacturer will be distraught when, by this criterion, his creation joins the list of "worst".
Every plane not built as designed can not rightly be judged as a bad design.
Oct 28, 2011, 11:28 AM
Where's the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
I have a blast flying my Radian, I would rate it one of the best models in many years
+1.

Dunno why the disdain for this superb flyer, at a bargain price. How spoiled can we get, to excoriate something as well executed as the Parkzone Radian, a glider that handles well, thermals beautifully (in Pac NW lift, no less!), and makes a fine trainer as well as a satisfying after-work toy for the expert. IMO, the Radian is a winner in the foamie ARF e-sailplane category.

BTW, I thought of another loser. Remember the Royal Electrosoar? Yeesh, what a dog. Heavy airframe, whimpy can motor, sticky shelf-paper covering. Man.
Oct 28, 2011, 11:31 AM
My Radian is a super flying plane ! Sent back without flying , Why ?
former slope duration national record holder ... but what do i know ...
Oct 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
Will fly for food
If he never flew it he will never know.
Oct 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
Man you guys must be jaded.

The Skeeter kit sucked, but so did the pre-laser Gentle Lady kits. I had one with a flat wing and ailerons that got a ton of slope time, then a ton of time behind a speed 400. Fun, cheap airplane.

But the worst of all time had to be a Dodgson Pivot. It cost me a fortune. It cost me money buying almost all the Dodgson kits and it cost me money buying other airplanes trying to find something that flew that well.
Last edited by rcsoar4fun; Apr 30, 2021 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply