Feb 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Forgot to mention that when I flew my Formosa II the other day that I upped the aileron throws to 110%. She rolled a lot better. But my questions is - is there any real difference between just upping the rate instead of upping the end point?

Wolfe
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
Wolfe,

Servos normally could work wider if you apply a servo tester to make them work, while transmitters always make them work within narrower travel if you keep the function with 100% setting on your transmitter. Settint up 110% is to add more PWM's ot make the servo work wider, probably up to its maximum travel, it'd be two ends if you set 110% up and down or right and left. You should have more control throws by hooking up outter hole of servo arm, and the inner hole on control horn if you don't set 110% on the function applied.

Probably you could do both for making control surface work wider, but I think it'd be no need. And setting up 110% on your TX is good enough and more convenient than applying different holes practically on your plane.

Chen
Feb 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Thanks, Chen.

On the 3D planes I have they said to set the end points at 150% and the throw at 100% - but those are good analog servos, not the cheap 9 grams. I am assuming that set up gives you 100% of the 150% available servos travel. Movement on those control surfaces is downright scary.

I am not looking for that much throw on the Mosa, but I wanted her to roll a little faster at medium speeds. The 110% seemed to do that. I am not even sure where I set the push rods on the servo arms and control horns - will check that later.

Wolfe
Feb 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
Wolfe,

Most of analog servos do the same except those GWS 1/2 T or 1 T or even multi T's servos
that could work more than 120 degrees in total, while those advanced digital servos could work much smoother and better by further setting up their default PWM values. In my idea analog servos work good enough for most park flyers. While advanced 3D or F3A pilots might prefer using digital servos on their birds.
Chen
Feb 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Right Rudder
My GWS F4U Corsair!
Feb 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Looks pretty windy all weekend. Probably won't get to fly - maybe Sunday afternoon. Bummer

Wolfe
Feb 24, 2012, 03:44 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Looks pretty windy all weekend. Probably won't get to fly - maybe Sunday afternoon. Bummer

Wolfe
Was going to a demo at a local airport Sunday...
Predicted 17mph winds at show time..
Maybe the jets will fly.
Feb 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
NOT GWS

But I did get a couple new planes today -

one for me
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-003-su-31-epp-kit.html

and one for grandkids
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-006-4...-blue-kit.html

Am thinking I will build the grandkid plane first and test fly it so I know it flies well then take it back apart and send it to Ian

Also got in a motor for my Airfield 1400mm P-40 - might get that one set up this weekend too since flying weather looks dismal.

Bartricky - I suppose Jets and big stuff can fly in that much wind - too much for me though. I just don't like it much if it get over 10 mph

Wolfe
Feb 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
................and one for grandkids
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-006-4...-blue-kit.html

Am thinking I will build the grandkid plane first and test fly it so I know it flies well then take it back apart and send it to Ian..................Wolfe
Lol! Yeah right, like I had to build my grandson's tower crane before Christmas two years ago "just to make sure it worked" and "just check test" his r/c Mini Cooper before this last Christmas

Come on Wolfe, that's what grandsons are for, to allow the kids who are posing as ancient grandparents to have a little extra fun and occasional extravagance. I just wish my grandson was more into electric trains - he's obsessed with Star Wars and damn that doesn't interest me
Feb 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
LOL - I am SURE it is my SACRED DUTY to test fly all the grandkid airplanes. What kind of "Grandpa" would I be if I sent them flying machines that didn't fly well?

I just wish they would hurry up and get better so I could test fly better airplanes LOL

Mine are into Starwars too

Wolfe
Feb 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Was going to a demo at a local airport Sunday...
Predicted 17mph winds at show time..
Maybe the jets will fly.
Where do you fly out of Bartricky?

FIU Tamiami Campus?

Or a park or open field?

Saturday morning it is predicted to be Dead Calm winds at 0700 hours over in your parts!!
Feb 24, 2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Where do you fly out of Bartricky?

FIU Tamiami Campus?

Or a park or open field?

Saturday morning it is predicted to be Dead Calm winds at 0700 hours over in your parts!!
Yep, flying tomorrow morn.

Now days fly mostly at a local middle school at least until we break something.

Sunday I will just watch and bring the trashbags
Feb 25, 2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Yep, flying tomorrow morn.

Now days fly mostly at a local middle school at least until we break something.

Sunday I will just watch and bring the trashbags
Yep a GLORIOUS MORNING!!!

No wind but 80 degrees by 10am.
Schoolyard empty
Four fliers!.. our little group is growing.

Too bad 20mph at RC airshow time tomorrow.
Feb 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Glad you had a good morning. Windy here. Supposed to get down to 10 MPH this afternoon for a couple of hours, but that is as good as it gets. Even that is more than like to fly in.

Wolfe
Feb 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Well the wind did drop - prob on the low side of 10 mph with gusts on the high side - so I got out to the City Field. Ran six flights on the Mosa 2 and 1 on the Mosa 1.

I am getting more used to the Mosa 2 now - about 25 flights - and I have to say she is growing on me. She does about as well in some wind as anything I have and she is a nice smooth aerobatic flyer at medium speeds. If you get one of these I would go with at least a power 15 motor, though.

With the Power 25 and the 3300 ah 3s I am getting two 5 - 6 min flights per battery. I would rather do that and take a break in between than just go for 10 min.

Ejected the battery on the Mosa 1 flight - was lucky to get her down on the wheels with the battery hanging by the connecting wire.

Wolfe

Quick Reply