Feb 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Ex RAF Techie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
And did you notice that Moor Models are using a picture of my GWS 262 sloper (which they've lifted from the Perkins website)?
No I didn't, but well done! At least they credited you in the photo. It looks really good. I think GWS would do well to use modelers' models in their adverts too, instead of ones that look like they've been painted by Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles!

I've built 2 Beavers in the last year, and agree with you about the mods. I made the first one pretty much as the kit described, and then promised myself I'd do it a little bit differently if I ever built another one, which I did almost straight after!

This one is a real work horse, and has probably more hours on it than anything else I own. I had to piece the cowl back together after a 'heavy landing' and at the same time reinforced it from the inside. I also fitted a second U/C wire behind the first, bracing it up. Even on my most gentle of landings, the wheels tended to be pushed back to the point where it would just nose over.

My second one doesn't have the reinforced cowl or U/C, as it was always going to be on floats. I built the tail surfaces from balsa though, and replaced the GWS wing with a Hobbyzone cub wing trimmed it the tips. It flies really nicely even though it's a little heavier than GWS suggest it should be. Interestingly, I changed the brushed motor out of the floatplane after about 5 flights as it just couldn't cope with the weight, but left I the green USAF one stock. It flies so well with the brushed motor and 'C' gearbox that I just didn't have the heart to pull it out!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
Confused? Who, me?
They look very smart. Stupid question but did you ever fly the floats one off water? I had one with floats but only ever flew it off snow (which it did well!).

GWS had a Beaver 2 in the development plan before the whole business went up and I'm sure it would have been a great seller

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674178
Feb 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
Confused? Who, me?
And look here. This was less than a year ago https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=65

Not that I expect it to happen. And I was sure there was a photo somewhere...

Thanks Chen
Feb 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah
I've built 2 Beavers in the last year, and agree with you about the mods. I made the first one pretty much as the kit described, and then promised myself I'd do it a little bit differently if I ever built another one, which I did almost straight after!

My second one doesn't have the reinforced cowl or U/C, as it was always going to be on floats. I built the tail surfaces from balsa though, and replaced the GWS wing with a Hobbyzone cub wing trimmed it the tips. It flies really nicely even though it's a little heavier than GWS suggest it should be. Interestingly, I changed the brushed motor out of the floatplane after about 5 flights as it just couldn't cope with the weight, but left I the green USAF one stock. It flies so well with the brushed motor and 'C' gearbox that I just didn't have the heart to pull it out!
Now, why did anyone think of placing the Hobby Zone Super Cub wing on top of the Beaver!!!!

What an excellent idea! Can you please tell me how it flys?

Do you have a Video (I don't care how poor Resolution Quality or if your Camera person was drunk etc..)?

I am very interested as I Love the GWS Beaver but, hated the thin undercamber wing!!

Thanks!
Carlos
Feb 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ex RAF Techie
Thanks guys, it flies great with the Cub wing. It hardly flexes at all, doesn't need any kind of spar, and won't flutter at 'high' speed like the GWS one can. The only videos I have are from water, so it should keep you both happy, I will post when I get home and onto my computer.
Feb 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Ex RAF Techie
As promised, here are a couple of videos. The first is it's 'Water Maiden', and the second is it's 'Deep Dangerous Water Maiden'!!!
GWS Beaver Floatplane first flight from water (1 min 56 sec)

GWS Beaver Floatplane 2 (2 min 21 sec)
Feb 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Right Rudder

Excellent!

davylah,

Excellent! Both Videos and your model are excellent!

I really enjoyed both videos and I am rest assured that the wing mod from the Hobby Zone Super Cub is perfect on the GWS Beaver!

Do you have a thread build on this Beaver?

Thanks again!
Carlos
Feb 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
Ex RAF Techie
Unfortunately I didn't do a build thread, but I can collect all the photos together and do a little write up if you like? I had to trim about 20mm off the trailing edge of the Cub wing, reshape the tips a little, and cut the fuselage flat where the wing sits. Apart from that, it's a pretty good replacement for the flimsy GWS wing if you want to go faster or heavier
Last edited by davylah; Feb 12, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Found some more photos of the planned GWS Beaver 2 that I doubt we'll ever see
Feb 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Right Rudder
davylah and Roger,

Nice work on your Beavers. The GWS Beaver was my 2nd RC Model after I was skilled in keeping something in the air!

I Loved my Beaver and it just went in due to a Strut coming lose in mid-flight with that flimsy undercamber wing. I just did not have time to land my model safely before the wing ripped right off. Now, these were the days when you flew them using the heaver 2/3A Ni-MH rechargable batteries. In case no one knows what kind of battery these are....they are stone age compared to the newer Li-POLY offerings.

Yes davylah, if you can on your spare time I would love to see a thread "or" a Blog entry of this nice Beaver you have!

Thanks guys!
Carlos
Feb 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ex RAF Techie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
davylah and Roger,

Nice work on your Beavers. The GWS Beaver was my 2nd RC Model after I was skilled in keeping something in the air!

I Loved my Beaver and it just went in due to a Strut coming lose in mid-flight with that flimsy undercamber wing. I just did not have time to land my model safely before the wing ripped right off. Now, these were the days when you flew them using the heaver 2/3A Ni-MH rechargable batteries. In case no one knows what kind of battery these are....they are stone age compared to the newer Li-POLY offerings.

Yes davylah, if you can on your spare time I would love to see a thread "or" a Blog entry of this nice Beaver you have!

Thanks guys!
Carlos
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1593308

Just for you Carlos. I'll update it as I get time.
Feb 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Nice Beaver videos - ty for posting those. Great landing in the river too

I still have a Beaver that I pieced together from parts ordered and found in several places. Partly built. Will probably finish it soon. Wish you could still get these in the States

Wolfe
Feb 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde
Nice Beaver videos - ty for posting those. Great landing in the river too

I still have a Beaver that I pieced together from parts ordered and found in several places. Partly built. Will probably finish it soon. Wish you could still get these in the States

Wolfe
Don't GWS USA - sorry, I must remember to call it Caliber Hobby - stock them?

http://www.caliberhobby.com/beaver_kits.html
Feb 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Caliber lists them, but when you try to order none of them are actually available and haven't been for quite a while.

Got in a couple of Formosa 1 and PZ Spitfire flights just before dark when the wind finally dropped under 10 mph. Was windy all weekend, so that was my only flight time.

Hopefully it will be better this coming week.

Wolfe
Feb 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1593308

Just for you Carlos. I'll update it as I get time.
Thank you! Will be monitoring as you go!

I did not realize that it is Brushed Powered in the gearbox! Is that stock GWS power system? Wow!

Quick Reply