Jun 19, 2019, 01:46 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn. Krunch
My GWS 262 blowing the dust out of the fans. And, they used to call them Parkflyers https://youtu.be/2YgcphRiYbQ
Smooth as silk !! That's one GWS plane I've never flown. Park Flyer? Ha ha What could go wrong?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Smooth as silk !! That's one GWS plane I've never flown. Park Flyer? Ha ha What could go wrong?
Flies like a trainer when you scrap the heavy glass rods and replace with balsa, and light 1/8" wood dowel for the wing front. Then extend the nacelles for scale appearance and balancing, using 12mm BL inrunners and EDF50 fans. Wing loading just under 13oz.sq-ft.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5160
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-thread/page28
Jun 19, 2019, 03:57 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Gosh, I forgot all about the Fiego motors. Those fans sound great!
Jun 19, 2019, 05:51 PM
Registered Hoser
Yes, they do slow down well. Back in the day I used carbon tube for my wing spar and the front hold downs. The retracts only added a couple of ounces and take it to the next level. I can run 4 cells in this but alas, only a 1600 will fit. Only did that once I'm afraid of the DNE for styrofoam
Jun 21, 2019, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
As primarily a scale scratch builder, I am concerned with looks.
If the plane flies nice but got a crack in the cowling ... I would just fly
until I got home/time to fix it. Nobody bothers anyway.
Jun 21, 2019, 04:24 PM
Confusing partial quote of me there, as well as the response below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
If the plane flies nice but got a crack in the cowling ... I would just fly
until I got home/time to fix it. Nobody bothers anyway.
I don't have a model with a crack in the cowling. I imagine you're referring to your post made on May 29, as a reply to another individual. Doesn't seem worth bringing this up again.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
Does the cowl fly the plane ... if it is a truly well flying plane
I would fly without cowl no problem You are too bothered by the looks.
The important thing is FLYING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Gosh, I forgot all about the Fiego motors. Those fans sound great!
Thanks, yep they were good little motors. Doesn't seem like there's anything quite in their class for 40 and 50mm EDF. I believe I determined that the ultralight ducting makes a slight buzz at launch, but it goes away as soon as the model is launched so all good.
Jun 21, 2019, 07:19 PM
Registered Hoser
I still have some of those little wonders. 5300kv now, what to use them in? They were $6 bucks a piece at aircraft world.
Jun 21, 2019, 07:59 PM
I should have bought them when they were being sold at closeout prices. Collected a number of them at higher prices and built a number of 12mm EDF40 and 50 jets in the past few year and have build logs on them here. The Hyperions seemed to be the best of the lot. Medusa was also reported as quality, although I believe they were more expensive and not as easy to find. I slip aluminum tubing over the plastic GWS rotor hub using CA. It keeps the plastic from expanding when the short Hyperion motor shaft is pressed into the rotor. Haven't have one come off yet and they press on really tight that way.

You can do things with IPS brushless EDF such as a 30" span jet with an AUW of less than 10oz. Not a racer, but almost as easy to fly as a Slow Stick and scale with a sheeted fuse. I lost interest in my heavier jets after building a collection of IPS brushless powered jets, since they're practical park flyers and easy to bring home in one piece. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eo-added/page3

Build a bit lighter and they really perform. The Yak 23 I believe has a Hyperion 5300kv. Barely used full throttle and launches well at 1/2.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht-Video/page2
Jun 21, 2019, 11:26 PM
Registered Hoser
Real beauties Anti! I am thinking of a X15
Jun 30, 2019, 01:01 PM
Right Rudder

20 Year Old GWS Stearman

After almost 20 years of flying this Grand Wing Servo (GWS) PT-17 Stearman brushless with wooden Struts was flown today at the RC Club by Mark S, who I gave it to about 3 years ago. When I owned it and flew it frequently it was my experimental platform to test ALL kinds of SPEED 400 Brushed motors in GWS-400 Gearbox. It now has a direct Outrunner Brushless inside a Printed 3D Engine Model. Got Video of today's action:

GWS PT-17 Stearman Brushless with scale 3D Engine 06-30-2019 (1 min 37 sec)
Jun 30, 2019, 01:14 PM
Nice flight of the Stearman!
Jun 30, 2019, 01:56 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres
Nice flight of the Stearman!
Thanks! It has survived my ownership and that of Mark S.

The model has over 2,000 flights in it's 20 year life.
Jun 30, 2019, 02:19 PM
Right Rudder

Heavy Metal and GWS PT-17 Stearman!

Ha!

I recorded today another video showing a Twin Heavy Metal Bomber and the same GWS PT-17.

These were Doug C. and Mark S. respectively.

Having Fun at Moon Port Modelers RC Club 06-30-2019 (3 min 53 sec)
Jun 30, 2019, 02:33 PM
Right Rudder

Close-UP of GWS PT-17 Stearman with Printed 3D Engine

Guys,

Finally got a closeup shot of Mark's GWS PT-17 Stearman with the Printed 3D Engine Bust (Model) and as you all can see it is really not the Engine the Stearman used but, for now Mark is happy with it. He will be downloading another file that represents the correct Engine.

Also, look closely to the Wooden Struts that I installed when it was under my ownership! Those wood struts really have helped the model survive many hard G maneuvers!

Jun 30, 2019, 05:12 PM
This GWS PT-17 flew nice and the picture/video did great justice! I have only one PT-17 set left and WILL KEEP for a near future build, as a 3D model with four ailerons

Quick Reply