Jul 08, 2014, 11:39 AM
I'm with RicktheBrewer on the video in post 4225: SemperFi, we want more like that.

Whatever planes you have will be fine as long as your daughter is taping. And the bars are doing their thing!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2014, 05:29 AM
So, I'm waiting for HK to get their butts in gear and get my new 3 axis rx here for my Islander. I go up the loft and have a dig around mmmmm GWS A10 looking very sad and old back down to my workroom with it well the first things to go were the fans and motors what a job I had getting them out. got to hand it to gws the glue lasts a long time the plane is still solid, although I bought and built it about 2003 and used the supplied adhesive then off came the floppy ailerons has anyone tried this, wipe the ailerons with a little uhu por allow to dry and cover with a layer of surgical tape they bond instantly and become pretty solid. the elevator was still connected to the servo I hadn't even anchored the tube for the wire so it had been flying , and flying pretty well like that. any way it needed a new rudder but they aren't available now over here , so out with the 6 mm depron . draw round the good rudder them cut out four glue them so both are 12 mm thick (overkill) they are still lighter than the originals I now have a platform to start working on . I have a 1700 blue wonder that is going on as a pusher, hopefully with enough power , 9 gram cheap servos into the wings for the ails and a piece of carbon rod for the ele pushrod. will take a few pictures tonight and post them. I am a bit concerned the motor will be a bit underpowered, but if so I've got a 2812 emax to try as well. funny how much weight it used to carry around with the fans and the old NiMh batteries
Jul 10, 2014, 09:50 AM
Gordynic, looking forward to the pics.
Jul 10, 2014, 01:01 PM
here are a couple of "work in progress " photos
Jul 10, 2014, 01:37 PM
here is another "work in progress " photo
Last edited by gordynic; Jul 10, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Jul 10, 2014, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber
Does everyone have a few GWS kits in the closet?? We have six.

A Slow Stick, a Mini Slow stick, a Pico Cub, two Estarters, and a
Funnyjpark.
I do have a Formosa waiting to be built. I've had one of those before, and they're great flyers. I would also like to get my hands on a Slow Stick and a Tiger moth 400 - at least. Nice planes that unfortunately seem to have lost the battle against the landslide of RTF's appearing every day. While GWS still is in business, not many shops sell them anymore; and shipping a kit or two halfway around the globe gets expensive
Jul 10, 2014, 03:04 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by knutb
I do have a Formosa waiting to be built. I've had one of those before, and they're great flyers. I would also like to get my hands on a Slow Stick and a Tiger moth 400 - at least. Nice planes that unfortunately seem to have lost the battle against the landslide of RTF's appearing every day. While GWS still is in business, not many shops sell them anymore; and shipping a kit or two halfway around the globe gets expensive
Try Heads Up RC, Ocala, FL.

DJ
Jul 10, 2014, 09:35 PM
Gordynic, cool looking A-10 in the works. I bet she will be a wonderful flier

I couldn't help myself and pulled a EPO Formosa out of the pile of un built GWS kits. My hands were starting to go numb from the lack of kit building. The last EPO Formosa I built I built to be as light as I could and still have ample amounts of power. This sucker is going to get a lethal dose of steroids with a 480 or a 10 depending on how it balances out with a 2200mah 3s battery. I am thinking a nice big 11x5.5 for torque not speed. I am going with dual aileron servos in the wing and servos mounted through the fuse sides and mounted near the tail for very positive control response. My last Formosa developed aileron flutter using one center mounted servo. I think this should be a good fix to the issue.
Jul 11, 2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks Semper, the formosa in the shot looks great. As you've probably read they are as rare as rocking horse poop over here. my last one wasn't salvageable after its "arrival" a few yars back, I had formosa (is tha the plural for formosas?) on the order list fr the aircraft coming over on the boat, but they weren't available at the time I was in contact with gws and they said they wre doing a production run on them soon, so maybe on my next order, fact is everyone that has contacted me about buying gws has asked if I had formosa, so there is still great interest over her.
back to the A10. she is now sitting on the bench with the vertical stabs glued and pinned on. just got to fit the wing servos ,rx andesc etc. and she should be ready, not sure if I am going to use a 3s lipo or a 2s with a bigger propp, I dont want her flying as fast as she used to, and at about half the weight I think she will be a bit more scalelike
Jul 11, 2014, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
Try Heads Up RC, Ocala, FL.

DJ
I'm in northern Europe. Florida may not be quite "halfway around the globe", but still far enough away to make shipping rather expensive... Three or four (?) years ago, GWS kits were available locally but now they're rare at best.
Jul 11, 2014, 08:33 AM
GWS kits are becoming very rare here in the states as well.
Jul 12, 2014, 12:06 PM
The FunnyPark was just begging for a little air time. It was way to windy for the Funny but I take what I can get. No disrespect to GWS but this thing has to be the touchiest most unpredictable plane in their lineup. I'm sure it doesn't help that it has a 480 plus motor and a 2200mah 3s battery With the driveline and all of the glass on the wings and fuse it is a true flying brick. Still fun to fly around the school yard.

Also here is a video of me pushing my luck with my beat up Formosa. I like to take off vertical, stall and then drop hoping to gain enough airspeed to flare for a landing. The Formosa is one super rugged little bird
GWS Formosa takeoff and landing all in one (0 min 21 sec)

PICT000286.AVI (5 min 8 sec)
Jul 12, 2014, 12:16 PM
The GWS AT-6 never gets old for me. The plane is a great way to end a wonderful evening. Slow and relaxing.
GWS AT-6 never gets old for me (3 min 47 sec)
Jul 12, 2014, 12:28 PM
Hobby King Hater
Love the,, "And what's that supposed to mean?"!

Great video, thanks for sharing. Made me hungry, gon'a
get some Jello.
Jul 12, 2014, 02:41 PM
Just have to add the first flight of the FunnyPark from this morning. Talk about being over confident with ones abilities or there lack of. The Funny is a very tough little bird, make no mistake about it. Just add a new prop and off we go.
GWS FunnyPark and a clown (0 min 23 sec)

Here is a video of the elusive and extremely rare GWS EPO FW190. I try not to fly it in fear of crashing it as I tent to have my moments more often than not
FW190 EPO GWS (3 min 52 sec)

Quick Reply