Jan 25, 2013, 08:13 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Those boxed Pico Moths are pretty special. I have a couple of those too - very hard to come by these days.

Wolfe
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2013, 08:17 PM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde
Those boxed Pico Moths are pretty special. I have a couple of those too - very hard to come by these days.

Wolfe
Actually, Tower had the slope kits for $28.80 until very recently

Hopefully they'll be restocked. Looks like the TM400s are getting low too.
Jan 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam
Good luck? Are you implying that I should have one despite me already having 16 unbuilt GWS kits lying about?

Are the 300 motors brushless? Could have a 300 kit shipped to me for under $60...
This is my first twin so sort of a novelty to me.
The motors are brushed. The 300s have plenty of power on 2S lipos.
The are several posts earlier in this thread. The BN2 flies fast but nice and the sound of two motors is cool.
I rounded off the leading edge of the wings from the motors outboard to reduce tip stalling.
The way the brushed motors mount it is much easier to use them rather than modify the wings to go brushless.

Where I live they use BN2s as mosquito sprayers so it's kinda neat to have a model.
Last edited by bartricky; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Jan 25, 2013, 08:34 PM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Yeah I remember the BN2 chat and photos way back in the thread, but just never gave this model more than a passing thought until today. Thanks for the info.
Jan 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
I never flew an Islander. There have been a couple of them at the field lately, though,and the guys seem to really like them.

Just finished the 3C trainer - yes I have a new drill. I will have to get to the field a little early for a trim flight or two before the grand kids show up. Tristan, now 9 yrs old, was about ready to solo last year when we he stopped flying. If he has not forgotten too much, maybe he can make a solo flight tomorrow - that would be pretty cool

Winds are supposed to be under 5 mph all morning - should be good day to fly

Wolfe
Jan 25, 2013, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Yeah I remember the BN2 chat and photos way back in the thread, but just never gave this model more than a passing thought until today. Thanks for the info.
One Islander tip I used was to reinforce the inside cabin roof before gluing the fuse together. They say in a hard nose landing the wing could push that area in and repair access is very difficult. I used some FG tape and epoxy.

I've had some bumpy landings but never a lawn dart and the plane is just fine.
Strange to see this somewhat clunky looking highwing twin roll like a dream.
Jan 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
One Islander tip I used was to reinforce the inside cabin roof before gluing the fuse together. They say in a hard nose landing the wing could push that area in and repair access is very difficult. I used some FG tape and epoxy.

I've had some bumpy landings but never a lawn dart and the plane is just fine.
Strange to see this somewhat clunky looking highwing twin roll like a dream.
Uh-oh. I bought one

Don't know when I'll get to it though, as I want to build the Formosa, Pico Moth and Zero first. And maybe the P-38. LOL
Jan 26, 2013, 12:02 AM
Once you have this thing on final approach, you'll love the way it looks. I just cruise it around. I have done a loop once. Flies for like 25 minutes. I bought two batteries for it, I only use one
Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Good to hear its efficiency. It will be my first brushed motor experience
Jan 26, 2013, 02:44 AM
Hobby King Hater
Got a pretty good start on it today. You can see we doubled the
length of the spars and did it in CF. The ESC should be here
tomorrow and then I can put all the parts on and find the CoG
and get things in their proper location.
We have all kinds of 2S and 3S batteries in the 90 to 150g range.

The recommended battery was 155g.

Jan 26, 2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Good to hear its efficiency. It will be my first brushed motor experience
As it was mine....So I don't mind using the brused motor in the Pico Moth when I get around to it...
Jan 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Good outing with one of my son's and grandson's this morning. They each flew 4 batteries through the 4C trainer and both did very well. Good to see them back at the field

Wolfe
Jan 26, 2013, 03:19 PM
Good to fly in warm weather.
After pulling my kids and their slag up and down hills 20 times, I was all sweaty and decided to fly a bit. So, I was flying in 23 degree with 14 mph wind. That's a new record for me. But I found my batteries lost their teeth. Not enough power to pull out off diving, and my thumbs lost the feels too, so have many unexpected vertical landings. Lucky no serious damage except a prop after 5 batteries. Probably will go out again if the wind die.
Jan 26, 2013, 04:22 PM
Took my Islander out today. While there wasn't any snow on the grass, the street we use had a 1/5" of snow on it. It took all of its power to take off, but it looked cool trundling thru the snow on landing
Jan 26, 2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim
Took my Islander out today. While there wasn't any snow on the grass, the street we use had a 1/5" of snow on it. It took all of its power to take off, but it looked cool trundling thru the snow on landing
What motors do you have on the Islander?

Quick Reply