Nov 09, 2011, 03:25 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
LOL I agree - NO bashing or crashing on this thread.

Just finished a work deadline - YEAH - so now a have a pretty light work load for a week or so. Weather is good for tomorrow then gets pretty windy again, so will probably get to play in "GWS LAND" more than usual.

I have several projects going. The Beaver which is started, finishing touches on 2 Pico Moth restorations, and a Formosa 1 that is barely started. Also have a Formosa II still in the box.

I am thinking I will work simultaneously on the Beaver and the Formosa 1 with the hope of getting them both in the air in a week or so, and finish the Picos.

I am enjoying getting back in touch with some of these planes that I flew several years ago when I got into the hobby

That Zero flies pretty well, Sky

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Nov 09, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2011, 04:15 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Oh dear, lets not convert this thread into a GWS Bashing thread ;(
Who's doing that? If you're referring to my story it was written as a humorous response to Park Pilots comment "My wife thinks I've lost it". The guy I was telling the story about has never built a GWS model in his life, and nor did I suggest he had.

If I've lost the plot and your remark was directed at someone then I apologise. Otherwise I'd be really grateful to understand why you found it necessary to say what you did?
Nov 09, 2011, 04:38 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
I liked your story - I thought he was joking.

Wolfe
Nov 09, 2011, 04:44 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Who's doing that? If you're referring to my story it was written as a humorous response to Park Pilots comment "My wife thinks I've lost it". The guy I was telling the story about has never built a GWS model in his life, and nor did I suggest he had.

If I've lost the plot and your remark was directed at someone then I apologise. Otherwise I'd be really grateful to understand why you found it necessary to say what you did?
I do understand it was a joke and you did not direct it to anyone in particular but, instead it "is" directed to everyone as it was posted in wide open forum, right?

Just the thought of having a very nice GWS model to be taken out and for one minute stomping is considered bashing GWS models as this is for all things GWS, right?

I am just saying....
Nov 09, 2011, 04:56 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Well don't worry, it wasn't a GWS model Carlos but wait for it...............

I've got to confess that I've been a little rough in disposing of one or two of my GWS models over the years. I hope this isn't going to come between us
Nov 09, 2011, 07:28 PM
Just having fun
I thought the story was so funny that I told the story to my wife. OMG, she sympathizes with the woman!! Sheesh, it has me afraid now. Not really. My wife respects my hobby, although, only so far. But she lets me enjoy it pretty much all I want.

Freddy
Nov 09, 2011, 07:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
I have found some pretty creative ways to destroy GWS Models. but never jumped up and down on one.

When I first started flying, I used to fly in the parking lot at a local mall under the lights after dark. I flew one through my passenger window once - which was fortunately rolled down at the time. Wings stopped at the window - fuse ended up in the drivers seat. Was an E-Starter, I think.

Wolfe
Nov 09, 2011, 07:47 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Does anyone know if you can bend the old GWS foam by heating it up with a hair dryer?

Wings on my Moth 400 are drooping a bit.

Wolfe
Nov 09, 2011, 07:48 PM
I broke my Slow Stick landing gear yesterday and wanted to order three (knowing my other Slow Sticks might suffer the same fate). I found Radical RC, used Paypal, ordered three LG plus a fiberglass fuse tube and paid only $3 shipping! BTW, they've got the Wright Bros conversion kit using two GWS Slow Sticks. They also have some cool parts to mod the Slow Sticks such as better landing gears, trike options, etc.

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Sl...-&-Hop-Ups-249
Nov 09, 2011, 08:06 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
Good info

Wolfe
Nov 10, 2011, 03:34 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde
Does anyone know if you can bend the old GWS foam by heating it up with a hair dryer?

Wings on my Moth 400 are drooping a bit.

Wolfe
Probably safer to do it with steam, Wolfe but I (more or less) cured some horribly out-of-the-box-bowed wings on my Stearman with rigging. Essentially all you need is rigging thread from the bottom of the interplane cabanes to the top of those on the fuselage. You will need to put the "opposite" ones in for it to look right but in terms of hauling your wings up it's only those I've mentioned that will make any difference.

I have to say that of all the GWS planes I've built the Stearman was the least favourite. Nothing to do with the aircraft it was based upon, it was, for me a lousy set of mouldings not particularly well executed. Just a personal opinion, before someone jumps on my head.
Nov 10, 2011, 03:56 AM
Hi Wolfe,

Be sure to keep the hairdryer 1" away from the portion of the foam wing that you want to correct back, and better NOT to heat it longer than 10 seconds each time. Like what Roger mentioned, using steam is safer. Some of my friends even applied hot/boiling water instead.

Chen
Nov 10, 2011, 10:56 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
My Moth looks just like the first picture of your Steaman, Roger. I will give the wing wires a shot

Flew my Stearman calm winds for the first time today. She flew really well, except the LG fell out on the third landing. I need to anchor that in better. I only have about 10 flights on her and no hard landings - mostly greasers actually - so I was surprised it fell out even though I know GWS LG is always weak.

Wolfe
Nov 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
Confused? Who, me?
THis is what I did with my TM400 landing gear Wolfe, not in the least bit "scale" or realistic, just stronger!

It's essentially the original gear, as you can see, with the other part made from piano wire threaded through a tube cut to the width between the axle stubs and then bent to locate into the shorter tube. Note that the shorter tube is glassed onto a ply load spreading panel.

The two separate assemblies are then held together with some fine wire which is soldered to keep them in place. I used carbon tube but f/g, aluminium or brass would be fine. TM400 doesn't mind some weight up therre at the sharp end.

Even with my landing style this arrangement has given no bother.

I put some little fairing strips on but as I say it bears no resemblance at all to a proper Tiger Moth landing gear

Edit: I should have added that the stock landing gear retaining plate (off the black plastic tree) is also glassed (fibreglass cloth and epoxy) in place
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Nov 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
Nov 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Thread OP
I like the LG mod. Might give something like that a try. I am not overly concerned with a scale look. Would rather have it functional.

Thanks for posting it

Wolfe

Quick Reply