October 20111 ALES Contest - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
Everyday normal guy.
Discussion

October 20111 ALES Contest

Hello Good People!

I attended the ALES contest your club hosted yesterday and wanted to say how impressed I am with your club and it's friendly members. Even though this was the very first time your club has hosted a contest using this format, everything went off without a hitch. Your CD, Aric, and his helpers obviously studied up on the format rules and how to lay out the field for the event.

You folks catered the contest! $5 for a pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, chips, drink and a cookie? Are you kidding me? You folks really know how to treat a guy! Thank you, it was a most delicious meal!

While I didn't fly this time, I will certainly fly in the next one. Thank you for inviting those of us from the Bay Area to come out and share in the fun. It was great that Aric posted the invite on our local forums. There are now several pictures of the event posted to this thread http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopi...p=77393#p77393 over at BayRC.com.

Thanks again!

Don
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2011, 01:50 PM
Team Hello Kitty
I agree with Don this was a top notch SVSS effort with major kudos to Aric (CD) and his son (for lunch!). Many other SVSS'ers helped too. What a great turnout.

Like Don I did not fly this one but I will next time. However I did provide one useful function: I was in the peanut gallery heckling the pilots. Who says RC soaring is not a spectator sport?

Chris B.
Oct 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
AMA 3959
I have to say! SVSS rocks! Great people, great flying site. Well run contest! You guys set the bar for ALES contests here on the left coast! Aric, and all the SVSS guys, kudos to you for a job well done! Sheldon, I still owe you a lighter Great job running the mike all day! I loved the recorded count down and that we could hear it on the flight line! And I want to thank all the hecklers that ripped me when I flew into myself after a great flightI deserved that one I think everybody had a lot of fun and I was very surprised the number of rounds were every pilot was landing at the same time That Radion round was a hoot Lets do it again!

Al Strahm
Oct 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have a Hi Res pic of the groups shot? I would like to get one.

Scott
Last edited by bosco49; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Oct 28, 2011, 06:52 PM

SVSS ALES pictures

Ryan Scott's photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/rpscott...eat=directlink
Oct 28, 2011, 11:47 PM
AMA 3959
I took a few, a link is here. Well, I gave my camera to a really nice gal and she took the group shots.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1085580...eat=directlink

enjoy, Al
Oct 29, 2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks Al...some good groups shot,Theirs even a shot of my ArtHobby in their.
Oct 30, 2011, 01:26 AM

More SVSS ALES Photos

Here are some additional shots during the ALES contest. Was lots of fun.
http://www.flickr.com//photos/pitchu...83827047/show/
Oct 30, 2011, 10:50 PM
Good for what ALES you
I am posting this for Ron...

After having such a great first ALES contest on October 22, we were asked by some of the pilots if we could put one on in November. So the SVSS ALES team of Aric, Sheldon & Ron said you bet! So mark your calendar for Saturday, November 19. Pilot's meeting will be at 9:30 AM sharp and a first launch at 10:00 AM Your CD for this contest will be yours truly with the assistant CD being Aric and Sheldon will once again be the announcer/slave driver to keep things moving along Entry fee will be $10 and lunch will be available for $5. We are considering having some shorter early morning flights as the weather will probably somewhat cool - at this point we are thinking something like 2 flights of 5 minutes, 2 flights of 7 minutes, and 2 flights of 10 minutes. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions please email directly at rcronk.soar@gmail.com.

Ron Kucera
Nov 13, 2011, 01:19 PM

SVSS ALES November Contest

This is just a brief reminder that this coming Saturday will be the second edition of SVSS ALES. I will be the CD this time around with Aric W. handling the score cards and scoring, and Sheldon S. once again handling the call-up and countdown recordings. After some face-to-face and Internet chatter, I went back to the 10 minute flight tasks (we will shoot for five rounds to be mainly determined by how much more quickly we can hopefully get through the rounds). There will be the customary $10 entry fee (or $15 if you want to fly both open and foamie classes) and a raviolis lunch for $5 brought to us by chef LouieZ. Pilot's meeting will start at 9:30 AM with first flight group launch at 10:00 AM.

RonK

PS - The weather forecast as of today looks pretty good - possible light showers Thursday with clearing on Friday. Hope to see many of you there!

PS#2 - SVSS now has a tentative date for the west coast two day ALES Fall Contest set for September 22/23, 2012. We are also in the initial discussions of having a monthly ALES contest, possibly spread amongst several northern California clubs - more news later.
Nov 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
The west coast two day ALES Fall Contest set for September 22/23, 2012...Looks like a fun time.I would like to come down this weekend....but the weather does not look that good....
Nov 15, 2011, 11:31 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
Subscribed. Just got the link from Al. What's this about a two day ALES in September? Really, a time of year I could actually make it? Consider PBSS in on that!! Let's see; SVSS, CVRC, FSS....more?? Awesome!

Sonny
Nov 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco49
The west coast two day ALES Fall Contest set for September 22/23, 2012...Looks like a fun time.I would like to come down this weekend....but the weather does not look that good....
Looks like we may luck out this saturday
Nov 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm really looking forward to this Saturday. Several of us from the Bay Area will be there.

I'm happy you guys stuck with the 10 minute times on all rounds. This will be a fun challange.

Bob
Nov 16, 2011, 11:11 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Anyone have a spare ALES board I can use (or buy) this weekend?

Chris B.