New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:28 AM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
the great Gassif´er
Discussion

Glow engine, spark ignition

Hello all,

Just wondering: has anyone experience with a methanol fueled, spark ignited fourstroke in a (scale) helicopter? Just asking since yesterday I built in a RCELX ignition in my OS FS 91 powered Vario Bell 47 G, and I am all new to electronic ignited "glow" engines, and I am thinking that using one of those in a helicopter is not quite the same as running one in a plane with regard to constant RPM/varying load and especially cooling conditions.

Brgds, Bert
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
the great Gassif´er
Well, it seems that I overlooked the fact that a helicopter is built slightly different from a plane, which might have caused some additional problems:

Engine is (as in most helis) fairly close to the rotormast, so the swash servos are fairly close to the sparkplug lead. This seemed to give interference, which I hope to couter with ferrite rings in all the servo-leads....

Did almost cost me the helicopter though, because with a rangecheck (engine on idle) all seemed OK, but after taking off and hoovering, within 20 secs the fail safe kicked in, and that was a hairy moment.

The short time I could fly the chopper, it seemed that the engine is more powerful and it also seems to run a lot cooler on unchanged needle settings.

To be continued....

Brgds, Bert
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
the great Gassif´er
never mind, problem solved

Brgds, Bert
Last edited by Brutus1967; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Problem solved