Oct 22, 2011, 01:39 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Thread OP
Contest

F3B Speed MoM Round Robin Contest (Request for comments and interest)

Hi All,

ok, here's what I propose...

Single day contest in Perris, CA. Sunday November 13th 2011.

Here are the rules :

1) Round Robin (was Triple Elimination) bracket of man on man speed matches (enough pilots and we can do a sportsman class)
2) Both pilots using the same 5 minute working time to get as many runs as possible
3) Pilot must enter course within two minutes from tow hook release
4) One pilot on timed course at a time
5) Pilot must declare when they are coming on course. First come first serve at CD's discretion.
6) Pilot may swap ballast in between runs, but must use same plane.
7) 4 winches allowed per man during a single match from community pool.
8) A single helper per pilot for throwing and fetching (A community helper could be used for pedal work)
9) Best completed run within the working time wins that match
10) Brackets can be made for 4 to 12 pilots. Any more and we can break them up into two or more triple elimination brackets.
11) Intentional interference will be penalized by loss of match.
12) Ties will go to second best time, etc...

With 5 minute working times, and assuming 5 minutes between matches, a set of 8 guys should take no longer than 2 1/2 hours to complete, so if we have 8 pros, and 8 sportsman, it may take about 6 hours...

Wind comes up a little in the afternoon. Contest start at 10 am with a lunch may mean we can get out by 4 or 5, in time for some mexican food after a good days flying...

What do you guys think????

Tim
Last edited by ttraver; Oct 23, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2011, 05:41 AM
Do you have to use the same airplane in a match or can you switch?
Oct 22, 2011, 05:54 AM
I'm All Thumbs
Quote:
2) Both pilots using the same 5 minute working time to get as many runs as possible

4) One pilot on timed course at a time
Does this translate into a theoretical best time per pilot of 2-1/2 minutes?
TY
J
Last edited by AirBornOne; Oct 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: time per run ---> time per pilot
Oct 22, 2011, 06:35 AM
F3B and F3K
Hi Tim
Should be a fun contest.
However 5 min working time will allow for about to runs each pilot only unless they have a well oiled relaunch crew. Enabling multiple runs increases the fun, as the first one can be flown really risky on the turns. I would allow multiple planes, so second one can be differently ballasted beforehand.

Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Oct 22, 2011, 12:48 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
Hi Tim
Should be a fun contest.
However 5 min working time will allow for about to runs each pilot only unless they have a well oiled relaunch crew. Enabling multiple runs increases the fun, as the first one can be flown really risky on the turns. I would allow multiple planes, so second one can be differently ballasted beforehand.

Reto
Well, we've figured out that if you are on it, and limit your float back time, you can get a full run in about 45 seconds in a hurry. Leave another 30 seconds to land and that's a full run in 1:15...

Also, there's no rule about being in the air at the same time, and the "course" is only busy for under 20 seconds at a time. You don't have to wait for them to land to enter the course...or wait to launch either if you trust that you guys will stay out of eachother's way on the launches. I saw 4 planes on launches at the same time at the worlds...kinda crazy but you can do it if you wish...

I think part of the fun would be to see if you can do one run, land, hurry up and change ballast, and go for more. Since you can launch at the same time too, there are all sorts of strategy calls for thermalling before coming on course. That's why I have the 2 min rule, so you could try to thermal, but I wouldn't want it to be excessive...

I saw from that video in a Eurotour contest that they consistantly did 2 runs, and sometimes 3, so its kind of up to your strategy...

Of course, this a request for comments, and is no way set in stone. We could allow two planes, but if someone crashes, the penalty should be loss of that particular match.

I should also add that as soon as you "call" that you are going to come on course, that you have a short amount of time to actually do it (like 15 seconds or something), so that you don't call it, and then loiter some more in a thermal not allowing your competitor to get on course...

t
Oct 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne
Does this translate into a theoretical best time per pilot of 2-1/2 minutes?
TY
J
Hi Airborne,

No, there would be no limit to when you are in the air. Only one pilot can be inside the timed course at a time, which with most pilots, will be a time frame of 13-25 seconds.

If the next pilot times it right, as soon as the first one gets the final timing buzzer, he can enter the course...

t
Oct 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
If someone crashes, the penalty is the loss of a $3000 model You don't need to add insult to injury.
Oct 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
Detail Freak
How about just rapid fire Speed runs, one after another, totally disregarding the air reading?
Then the newer guys like me would feel good and bad air theoretically, and you would be likely to get the most runs in.
For ease of chute shagging, mak a rule to use any winch adjacent to an already used winch....

I'm more geared to "fly as much as you can in the time alloted". Can you tell?

R,
Target
Oct 22, 2011, 01:02 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes
If someone crashes, the penalty is the loss of a $3000 model You don't need to add insult to injury.
lol...yes, that is true...but it happens all the time in F3F. You crash, and yet you still get a 300 point penalty. F3B too...you crash into the winches, and you get a 1000 point penalty and a crashed plane...

dunno...I guess if everyone thought it was the best idea, we could allow multiple planes...
Oct 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
How about just rapid fire Speed runs, one after another, totally disregarding the air reading?
Then the newer guys like me would feel good and bad air theoretically, and you would be likely to get the most runs in.
For ease of chute shagging, mak a rule to use any winch adjacent to an already used winch....

I'm more geared to "fly as much as you can in the time alloted". Can you tell?

R,
Target
Target,

that could be "your" strategy...you could bring two planes, and probably do 3 runs in succession. As long as you launched 20 seconds after someone, you wouldn't get in the way of eachother...

We could increase the working time, but I wouldn't want to do that too much, cause we have to get through a bunch of people. I suppose if there weren't very many pilots, then that could be an easy mod. Its also why I went with a triple elimination, so at least you are guaranteed three "matches"

t
Oct 22, 2011, 01:14 PM
Tim,

I agree with the one plane per working time rule. If one chooses to eat up time by changing ballast, that's his choice. Plus, with 2 models, you wouldn't even need to collect your model before launching the 2nd one. Just leave it sitting out in the weeds in your competitor's way. 1 model is the way to do this much like real F3B. You can change models all you want between rounds.

And, 3 runs in 5 minutes is a piece of cake with a short flight line, and/or the ability to land/catch right behind the winch line.

Not sure if I like or understand the 1 helper per pilot rule? I'd like at least a winch operator and a separate thrower/caller. I'd much prefer 4 helpers ala a normal B comp.... a winch operator, thrower, separate caller, base B guy.... but can get by with 2 or 3.
Oct 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
Detail Freak
I might not understand fully what you have planned...
To me, 3 flights in 6 hours isn't the best use of time that I have little of.
I know that you have put a LOT of thought into this, so no disrespect intended, I just am not sure what the goal is, or how its going to proceed.

I'd LOVE to see a B clinic sometime soon, either all speed or all distance, anywhere, either CalValley or Riverside, or Poway if just speed.

I'll bring your Vamp RDS wings with me to Poway tomorrow, please come get them if you can, or I'll drop them off with a victim of your choosing, just LMK!

VR,
Target
Oct 22, 2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
I might not understand fully what you have planned...
To me, 3 flights in 6 hours isn't the best use of time that I have little of.
I know that you have put a LOT of thought into this, so no disrespect intended, I just am not sure what the goal is, or how its going to proceed.
It's a contest Target, with a new more exciting format. Not just a practice.
Oct 22, 2011, 01:21 PM
Detail Freak
Well EXC-UU-SE me, Mr DP!
Oct 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
Detail Freak
Actually, my thought is to get more newbies (suckers!) interested in F3B, while there is some interest....
To me that is more productive/important, than just figuring out that you and Kyle are the fastest USA guys.....

But, you know what they say about opinions, huh!?

Best Regards,
Newbie.
Last edited by target; Oct 22, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling errors suck

Quick Reply